News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: U/C: Electrification & Upgrade of the Adelaide Rail Netw

#1996 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:50 pm

Westside wrote:
Brucetiki wrote:
Punishment466 wrote:Great idea. Let's electrify less than half of the most patronised railway line in the state.

Just another embarrassment.
Agreed. It just seems so dumb to electrify so little of it. Electrify it all or none of it as electrifying part of it means Gawler trains can't use it anyway.
Instead of electrifying part of the line on both tracks, why don't they electrify the whole line, but just one track? Then trains can swap tracks for the return peak period. Unfortunately this would neccessitate the line to be fully closed for an hour and a half twice a day. And in 15 years time when the state has the money (or the political will), then it can be duplicated. People will be ok with this right? :roll:
I had to laugh out loud. The sad thing, it probably got seriously considered at some point.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#1997 Post by muzzamo » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:06 pm

"High frequency loop service to flinders university and hospital".

It sounds like buses will no longer regularly turn into flinders medical centre. Great for me personally as my bus turns in there but I don't utilize the stop.

I reckon they have kept the Tonsley station deliberately simple. The extension of flinders drive is really a portion of the darlington transport study. The problem with the study is that it relied on tram/trains that were going to be at-grade going into FMC. The tram/train idea seems to have been significantly cooled. I think that the design above actually allows for an elevated, grade-separated duplicated section into flinders medical centre down the track, particularly when the DTS actually goes ahead.

Map:
http://www.nationbuildingprogram.gov.au ... roject.pdf

Aidan

#1998 Post by Aidan » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:20 pm

muzzamo wrote:
rev wrote: Selfish? Yeh, but they have a point in this case(especially if that independent engineers report is accurate).
You can get a report to say whatever you want it to though. There is no way the "independent engineers" had access to the level of information that the government and department have on this.
What makes you think they needed to? Not all information is critical for making a decision, and working for the government doesn't mean engineers will reach the optimal solution!
Regarding their views - bad luck. They need to assume some of the risk of buying in that location themselves. If they wanted guaranteed ocean views, they should have purchased a block on the other side of the train line (and any subsequent blocks between that and the ocean!)
Are you one of those people who think all development controls should be abolished?
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

buildit83
Gold-Member ;)

#1999 Post by buildit83 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:18 pm

is the Mitchell Park railway station being shut down for good? I noticed in the Tonsely video animation there is only Clovelly Park and Tonsely stations.

bay transit
High Rise Poster!

#2000 Post by bay transit » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:53 pm

No stations are being shut down-the status quo remains!

claybro

#2001 Post by claybro » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:24 pm

So good to see some action on this. I for one was sceptical this line would stay. Lets hope they get it done prior to the next state election.

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#2002 Post by Hooligan » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:28 pm

Punishment466 wrote:Great idea. Let's electrify less than half of the most patronised railway line in the state.

They may as well have just electrified it one way.

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#2003 Post by Brucetiki » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:38 am

muzzamo wrote:
rev wrote: Selfish? Yeh, but they have a point in this case(especially if that independent engineers report is accurate).
You can get a report to say whatever you want it to though. There is no way the "independent engineers" had access to the level of information that the government and department have on this.

Regarding their views - bad luck. They need to assume some of the risk of buying in that location themselves. If they wanted guaranteed ocean views, they should have purchased a block on the other side of the train line (and any subsequent blocks between that and the ocean!)
Agreed. It's likely that they got the engineers to look at that section in isolation without considering the impact of the rest of the network.

And Xenophon's solution of delaying the project to appease 5 whinging residents is just laughable.

ChillyPhilly

#2004 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:33 am

Hooligan wrote:

They may as well have just electrified it one way.
:lol:
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Aidan

#2005 Post by Aidan » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:51 am

Brucetiki wrote:
muzzamo wrote:

Agreed. It's likely that they got the engineers to look at that section in isolation without considering the impact of the rest of the network.
What impact on the rest of the network? Why would there be any impact at all beyond the next tensioning structure along?
And Xenophon's solution of delaying the project to appease 5 whinging residents is just laughable.
Why? We've still got a long time to wait before electric trains start running - there's plenty of time to change the plans without delaying that.

If DPTI genuinely have better information then they should make it public. Engineers should have their decisions fully scrutinised instead of just relying on their reputation as experts.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

The Scooter Guy

#2006 Post by The Scooter Guy » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:19 pm

Not long to go 'til the first ever electric railcar arrives!
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

Archer
High Rise Poster!

#2007 Post by Archer » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:30 pm

Variable Messages boards have popped up around Noarlunga Centre with roughly the following message:

"Stay Switched On. Respect the Wires, Wires Electrified from 17th June. Phone 1800....."

Power Testing I guess, unless the first train is due to arrive around the same time or shortly there after?

Vjkdigital
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#2008 Post by Vjkdigital » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:46 pm

Is the substation even finished yet!?

Surely they wouldn't be installing wires (as much of it its even up yet) while the system is live, as we don't even have any trains to run under them. Trains won't be fitted out when they arrive anyway.

Suspect this is just a "always treat wires as live" lesson.

Aidan

#2009 Post by Aidan » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:53 pm

The Noarlunga to Seaford section will be used for testing the electric trains before it opens (and before electrification of the rest of the line is complete).

Tonsley213
High Rise Poster!

#2010 Post by Tonsley213 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:10 pm

Wires between Hallet Cove Beach and Seaford will be sparked up to test the infrastructure.