News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
mattwinter
High Rise Poster!

Re: U/C: Electrification & Upgrade of the Adelaide Rail Netw

#2161 Post by mattwinter » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:40 am

Just sent some tweets to Andrew Southcott and he confirmed the $500m for South Road is unchanged, and that their policy is that public transport should be funded by state governements. Like Shuz says the funding for the Tonsley line in 2013/14 Financial Year is unaffected, just the funding going forward.

rubberman
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2162 Post by rubberman » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:52 pm

Aidan,

Most of the buses that use MYKI from the airport are cross suburban buses, and do not go into the city. The Skybus does not use MYKI cards and so it is irrelevant whether or not you can buy or charge a card at the airport. Just buy or recharge the card when you get into the city. In any case, it is also possible to purchase cards at the airport, AND if someone has a card already, and even had a vague intention to return to Melbourne some time, surely they would have left some credit on the card. People need to take some personal responsibility for thinking more than two minutes ahead. Frankly, if people are so dull that they cannot plan a simple ticket purchase or recharge, they should expect to pay to get a taxicab from wherever they are to the nearest MYKI outlet and use it as a lesson to think ahead more in future. We are not talking about quantum mechanics here.

If you use a taxi from the airport, then you don't need the card at the airport either, and you can stop on your way into the city to recharge.

There are plenty of cities in the world that make MYKI look ridiculously easy to obtain by comparison.

Aidan

#2163 Post by Aidan » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:44 pm

Rubberman -
Last time I flew into Melbourne (almost a year ago) I stayed in a suburban hotel. The bus, which took nearly an hour to find because they'd banished it to beyond the Tiger terminal and across the road and not even bothered to signpost it, did not have a working ticketting system, but I got a Myki from the first train station it came to (Broadmeadows IIRC). On the way back a few days later, the Myki certainly had enough credit left to get to the airport, but I don't know whether there's enough left in it for another bus ride.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Mr Smith
High Rise Poster!

#2164 Post by Mr Smith » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:23 pm

In my experience travelling around Melbourne on trams, buying or validating ones ticket seems very much an 'option', and an 'option' many people decline. :banana:

Patrick_27

#2165 Post by Patrick_27 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:29 pm

Mr Smith wrote:In my experience travelling around Melbourne on trams, buying or validating ones ticket seems very much an 'option', and an 'option' many people decline. :banana:
I shared this similar outlook (and still do to some degree :wink: ). However, getting slapped with a $215.00 fine ain't too fun. The PT police here will throw a fine at you for almost anything. Feet on seats will cop you a $250.00 fine, crossing a train-line whilst the gates are closed will cost you $450.00 fine. Whilst I understand public safety is in play when addressing some of these issues, they're over the top about their approach.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#2166 Post by Brucetiki » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:18 pm

Tonsley213 wrote:
Brucetiki wrote:
Tonsley213 wrote:
You've made yourself seem very stupid with this comment.

Have you been to Melbourne, do you know how difficult it is to get a Myki.

Why would you force once off travellers to buy an unnecessary card, this would most defiantly turn people off.

Having the ability to board a bus and buy a paper ticket rather than have to find a retailer and buy the card for $10.
Difficult to buy a Myki?

ROFL!

Buying a Myki is incredibly easy.

Likewise buying a Metrocard is easy.

Maybe one way to encourage Metrocard use is to increase the paper ticket fares and at the same time drop the Metrocard fares.
Buying a Myki is not incredibly easy, you must go and find a retailer to buy one. Same with Metrocard, I cant just rock up on a bus and buy one.

People don't seem to understand that you can no longer buy Multitrip Metrotickets and it is starting to piss me off. The cheapest metroticket you can now buy is the $1.30 student single trick which is far more than the $0.87 on MetroCard.

Educate yourselves before talking out your ass can make you not look so stupid. Its not bloody difficult. :wallbash:
Haha the old, 'I can't argue against his point so I resort to personal attacks' mantra :roll:

In addition to the retail outlets, you can buy Myki's from all train stations, selected tram stops and bus interchanges.

Tourists can buy a Visitor Pack from the Skybus terminal at the airport as well.

Got all this information from http://ptv.vic.gov.au/tickets/myki/buying-your-myki/

The only reason a Myki would be difficult to purchase is because of laziness.

jase111
Gold-Member ;)

#2167 Post by jase111 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:40 pm

Does anyone know why there are still wooden sleepers between oaklands station and warradale station all the poles are up ready for wires just seems strange they are still there ??

85trainfan
High Rise Poster!

#2168 Post by 85trainfan » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:18 pm

jase111 wrote:Does anyone know why there are still wooden sleepers between oaklands station and warradale station all the poles are up ready for wires just seems strange they are still there ??
Wooden Sleepers were left in this section because if the Oaklands overpass is built, this area would be the Approach ramp from the Seaford (Noarlunga) end. It was DPTI thinking ahead at the time.
Regards Jarrod

Any posts made are my own opinion and do not represent any organisation with which I am associated.

Milkomeda
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#2169 Post by Milkomeda » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:28 pm

85trainfan wrote:
jase111 wrote:Does anyone know why there are still wooden sleepers between oaklands station and warradale station all the poles are up ready for wires just seems strange they are still there ??
Wooden Sleepers were left in this section because if the Oaklands overpass is built, this area would be the Approach ramp from the Seaford (Noarlunga) end. It was DPTI thinking ahead at the time.
Now with Abbott as Prime Minister any chance of this overpass being built in the next 3 years is very low unless the state government funds the entire project.

Aidan

#2170 Post by Aidan » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:39 pm

Milkomeda wrote:
85trainfan wrote:
Now with Abbott as Prime Minister any chance of this overpass being built in the next 3 years is very low unless the state government funds the entire project.
They haven't taken advantage of the line's extended closure to build it already, so doing it in the next three years should be unthinkable anyway!

But it's not as if grade separation is the only thing that could be done about the traffic congestion. Another northbound lane would be quite effective at alleviating the problem.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2171 Post by AG » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:58 pm

First electric train in testing:

Xaragmata

#2172 Post by Xaragmata » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:00 am

The Show platform at Wayville has a display with rail upgrade info, a front casting of a new railcar, and 'showbags' with brochures and other goodies, for anyone interested.

ouchjars
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#2173 Post by ouchjars » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:03 pm

Is the line still officially scheduled to reopen in September?

buildit83
Gold-Member ;)

#2174 Post by buildit83 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:46 pm

Transport Department says Belair rail line closes for overnight works
JESSICA HAYNES MITCHAM & HILLS MESSENGER SEPTEMBER 13, 2013 4:39PM
THE Belair rail line will be closed for overnight works for two weeks from Monday, September 16.

The line will be closed during the week between 10pm and 5.30am to Friday, September 27.

Weekend line closures will occur on Saturday, September 28 and Sunday, September 29, 6pm to 8am.

A bus substitute between Adelaide and Belair will be available on the weekend services.

Services are expected to return to normal on Monday, September 30.

The closures are needed as part of the works to electrify the Noarlunga line.

A Transport Department statement released today said there would be more evening off-peak restrictions and weekend line closures in the coming months for electrification works.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger ... 6718738468

85trainfan
High Rise Poster!

#2175 Post by 85trainfan » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:16 pm

The closures are to allow the rest of the overhead poles to be erected between Mile End and Adelaide, and a few odd missing ones around wayville and the former Keswick stations.
Regards Jarrod

Any posts made are my own opinion and do not represent any organisation with which I am associated.