News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Milkomeda
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re: U/C: Electrification & Upgrade of the Adelaide Rail Netw

#2296 Post by Milkomeda » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:53 pm

Port Adelaide Fan
High Rise Poster!

#2297 Post by Port Adelaide Fan » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:19 pm

Noarlunga line to reopen on weekdays only

UPDATE: Trains will run on the long-closed Noarlunga line from Sunday, meeting a State Government commitment to have rail running for the Ashes.

more

Xaragmata
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2298 Post by Xaragmata » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:18 am

St Clair station, last week:

Nathan

#2299 Post by Nathan » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:23 am

At first I thought "great, a supermarket next to a station! We're learning!". But then I saw that second shot and saw all the wonderful blank walls facing the station. So rather than treating the station as the centre of the town, it's shoved off to the side and shunned as usual.

(and "station" is being generous, it's just a platform. I understand having platforms for most of the suburban stops, but surely these new areas where they're trying to create slightly denser communities and encourage public transport use should have proper stations.)

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#2300 Post by muzzamo » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:22 pm

http://adelaidemetro.com.au/var/metro/s ... d1d6d4.pdf

The new Noarlunga timetable is out.

7.5 minute frequencies in peak at the busiest stations. No express services from Noarlunga, Brighton, Hallett Cove, Hallett Cove Beach, etc.

Replaced with a stopping pattern with alternating skips of 2 or 3 stops, similar to what has been done on the Gawler line. This will allow far easier (1 train change at most) journeys that are not to the CBD, eg from Noarlunga to Marion Station.

Not surprisingly Woodlands Park is now an all trains stopping. station, meaning easier transfer of trains to Tonsley (eg a Noarlunga to Tonsley Journey) once that line opens. I wonder if the fancy new showground station will be an all trains stopping station too.

The taking away of express services is bound to result in some moaning and complaining from Noarlunga commuters.

buildit83
Gold-Member ;)

#2302 Post by buildit83 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:03 pm

Nathan wrote:At first I thought "great, a supermarket next to a station! We're learning!". But then I saw that second shot and saw all the wonderful blank walls facing the station. So rather than treating the station as the centre of the town, it's shoved off to the side and shunned as usual.

(and "station" is being generous, it's just a platform. I understand having platforms for most of the suburban stops, but surely these new areas where they're trying to create slightly denser communities and encourage public transport use should have proper stations.)
yeah my thoughts exactly I was on the train on the Outer Harbor line the other day I was pretty disappointed with the design of the shopping centre and the train station, they both look cheap and tacky and don't complement each other at all. They could of at least had an entrance from the mall on the railway side geez!

Torrens_5022
High Rise Poster!

#2303 Post by Torrens_5022 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:10 pm

What is with people whinging about the express trains - 47mins from NC to ARS seems reasonable, it's 30km, when I lived in Melbourne the journey was 39mins for a 21km all stops to Flinders Street and if it went via the loop you added 10mins and the frequency was every 20mins - Here it's a 15min frequency and it's just a temporary "beta mode" timetable. When Tonsley services are added it will change - the line will be to busy to run express services, limited express trains save little time - but work well.

fabricator
Legendary Member!

#2304 Post by fabricator » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:45 pm

muzzamo wrote:http://adelaidemetro.com.au/var/metro/s ... d1d6d4.pdf

The new Noarlunga timetable is out.

7.5 minute frequencies in peak at the busiest stations. No express services from Noarlunga, Brighton, Hallett Cove, Hallett Cove Beach, etc.

Replaced with a stopping pattern with alternating skips of 2 or 3 stops, similar to what has been done on the Gawler line. This will allow far easier (1 train change at most) journeys that are not to the CBD, eg from Noarlunga to Marion Station.

Not surprisingly Woodlands Park is now an all trains stopping. station, meaning easier transfer of trains to Tonsley (eg a Noarlunga to Tonsley Journey) once that line opens. I wonder if the fancy new showground station will be an all trains stopping station too.

The taking away of express services is bound to result in some moaning and complaining from Noarlunga commuters.
The Tonsley line trains were used to serve stops between Woodlands Park and Adelaide. They would follow behind the Noarlunga/Brighton/express trains, that didn't need to stop at all stations, then get themselves out of the way for the train behind by using the branch line. Until Tonsley reopens next year, its not possible to run the express/limited stop trains in the same way they used to.

There is another issue, two of the Jumbo power cars have failed while the line was closed. 2011 is due to condemned bogie main bearings, there are no spares. The other one is 2004, which has been parked in the same place for at least a month now, right next to 2011 btw. While it's only two cars, and the trailers can be mated to other sets, passengers might notice things being a bit more squished than normal. This isn't a Noarlunga line issue either, as the Jumbos can't operate under overhead wire (arc over etc), so people on the Gawler line would be the ones effected. Not a problem in the longer term, as when the electric trains are certified to start carrying passengers, we get at least 9 more carriages (set 4003 is almost ready)
AdelaideNow: Now with 300% more Liberal Party hacks, at no extra cost.

EBG

#2305 Post by EBG » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:18 pm

The eastern side of the new overhead walkway was craned into place, pictures taken Sat and Sun 23 24 Nov 2013. There are also connections for wiring being attached to the masts.
Attachments
wayville 2.jpg
wayville 2.jpg (562.27 KiB) Viewed 4730 times
wayville 4.jpg
wayville 4.jpg (437.07 KiB) Viewed 4730 times
wayville 5.jpg
wayville 5.jpg (364.6 KiB) Viewed 4730 times

Vee
Legendary Member!

#2306 Post by Vee » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:20 pm

Take a ride on one of Adelaide's new electric trains. (ABC891)

http://www.abc.net.au/local/videos/2013 ... 901093.htm

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#2307 Post by how good is he » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:07 am

Does anyone know the status of the plan now for the Tonsley line after the Fed. Govt. pulled the pin on the last bit of funding (I think $68m) that the previous Fed. Labor Govt approved.....is the state govt stumping it up or is it dead in the water? With big money being spent on by the Flinders Uni, the massive new TAFE buildings and other developments.....it surely has to go ahead and be finished by the time theses developments are ready, no?

Tonsley213
High Rise Poster!

#2308 Post by Tonsley213 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:06 pm

Pole erection has occurred between Tonsley Junction and Mitchell Park. Team these up with the pole erected in November last year between Mitchell Park and Tonsley the next step would be to install cantilevers and wires.

[Shuz]

#2309 Post by [Shuz] » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:06 pm

I think the State will fund it and try and save face. They've had so many disasters with the rest of the rail electrification project they can't afford another mishap.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

fabricator
Legendary Member!

#2310 Post by fabricator » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:48 pm

There was an announcement the Tonsley line will reopen in February 2014, same time as the Seaford extension and presumably the electric trains.

https://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/Announ ... 1-December
AdelaideNow: Now with 300% more Liberal Party hacks, at no extra cost.