News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

Re: U/C: Electrification & Upgrade of the Adelaide Rail Network

#3316 Post by rev » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:59 am

News Corp misleading people? What a surprise.

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#3317 Post by I Follow PAFC » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:38 pm

I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/

SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#3318 Post by SBD » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:57 pm

I guess electrification of the Gawler railway line to Salisbury is still longer than the Gawler Greenway which only goes from North Adelaide to Regency Park. Perhaps while they are digging and moving things, they could extend the greenway to Salisbury at the same time.

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#3319 Post by Kasey771 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:00 pm

rev wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:59 am
News Corp misleading people? What a surprise.
Is it true? Or did you read it in the Advertiser? :hilarious: :hilarious:
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3320 Post by Norman » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:34 pm

Some photos from yesterday.

Not sure what this box is :?

Nathan

#3321 Post by Nathan » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:50 pm

I caught the train a couple of times last week when it was too hot to ride. It's immediately apparent that there is inadequate shade. In the morning, the sun comes in low in the gap between the wall and the roof of the shelter, such that no point under the shelter is shaded. People were going partially up the ramp to hide in the small bit of shade created by the pedestrian bridge.

PD2/20
High Rise Poster!

#3322 Post by PD2/20 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:55 am

Norman wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:34 pm
Some photos from yesterday.

Not sure what this box is :?
Mounting info display screens? We will have to wait and see!

Also what is the cage projecting from the cycleway above the east end of the city platform?

rubberman

#3323 Post by rubberman » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:10 pm

Words fail me...However, for those with a lot of time on their hands and who like anagrams:

https://i.imgur.com/pUVGuxt.jpg

Waz
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3324 Post by Waz » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:19 pm

Haha! Yeah , I saw that posted on reddit! :)
You hear it here first...

ChillyPhilly

#3325 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:36 pm

rubberman wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:10 pm
Words fail me...However, for those with a lot of time on their hands and who like anagrams:

https://i.imgur.com/pUVGuxt.jpg
:lol: :lol:

That's great. Marion and Marino swapped around in the absence of an anagram.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

EBG

#3326 Post by EBG » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:50 pm

Preliminary work on relocating services has commenced on Sturt Rd in preparation to extend the rail line to Flinders Medical Centre. The current end of the line is in the back ground.
Attachments
20180204_rail 1.jpg
20180204_rail 1.jpg (244.96 KiB) Viewed 4102 times
20180204_rail 2.jpg
20180204_rail 2.jpg (225.2 KiB) Viewed 4102 times

English Electric
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#3327 Post by English Electric » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:50 am

Nathan wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:50 pm
I caught the train a couple of times last week when it was too hot to ride. It's immediately apparent that there is inadequate shade. In the morning, the sun comes in low in the gap between the wall and the roof of the shelter, such that no point under the shelter is shaded. People were going partially up the ramp to hide in the small bit of shade created by the pedestrian bridge.
I caught the train from Bowden station heading into the city yesterday. It was just before lunchtime and a hot 36°C day. The final roofs are on the shelters and the seats installed, but still a woeful lack of shade. All the seats on the city-bound platform were baking in full sun and too hot to sit on. Lucky I only had a few minutes to wait for the next train, as I really needed to sit down.

This won't be a temporary problem either, all the seats will be exposed like this for much of the day for weeks and months to come, even as the sun elevation lowers.

It can't be too hard to fix at minimum cost, at least for the Up platform, with some kind of screening on the back of the shelter. Pity this couldn't have been picked up in the design stage - probably too late now the project is winding up.

Another random observation on Torrens Junction works....
Both the Gawler and Port lines through the Parklands have been rebuilt with gauge-convertible sleepers.

I can understand this with the tracks through the trench, since future conversion to light rail is still plausible (if the Port line ever goes to 4' 8½" with some sort of tram system). But presumably Mike Rann's Rail Revitalisation vision of converting the whole Adelaide Metro heavy rail to standard gauge is long gone. The last short bit of line re-laid as part of the Seaford electrification (the southern sets of tracks through the Adelaide Yard) was done with broad-gauge-only concrete sleepers, but seems they're persisting with the gauge-convertible option for the whole Gawler line.

PD2/20
High Rise Poster!

#3328 Post by PD2/20 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:43 pm

English Electric wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:50 am

Both the Gawler and Port lines through the Parklands have been rebuilt with gauge-convertible sleepers.

I can understand this with the tracks through the trench, since future conversion to light rail is still plausible (if the Port line ever goes to 4' 8½" with some sort of tram system). But presumably Mike Rann's Rail Revitalisation vision of converting the whole Adelaide Metro heavy rail to standard gauge is long gone. The last short bit of line re-laid as part of the Seaford electrification (the southern sets of tracks through the Adelaide Yard) was done with broad-gauge-only concrete sleepers, but seems they're persisting with the gauge-convertible option for the whole Gawler line.
I think the reason for the continued use of gauge-convertible sleepers for plain track renewals is that a large stock of such sleepers were acquired in 2009 at the start of the revitalisation programme and for several years were held at Osborne. For the small projects since then such as the Grange line relaying at Woodville and the Nairne Jn - Torrens Jn -Bowden in 2017/18 sleepers from this supply have been used. These sleepers are identifiable with the year marking "09". New pointwork since around 2013 has all been on special rectangular sleepers which have some of the rail fixings cast into the concrete. This includes the Nairne Jn, Mile End and Wayville crossovers, Tonsley Jn duplication and the recent Gaol Jn work.

ChillyPhilly

#3329 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:13 pm

English Electric wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:50 am

Changing the bogie of the wheels on the electrics is no big deal.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Tonsley213
High Rise Poster!

#3330 Post by Tonsley213 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:42 pm

EBG wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:50 pm
Preliminary work on relocating services has commenced on Sturt Rd in preparation to extend the rail line to Flinders Medical Centre. The current end of the line is in the back ground.
Do we know if this is for the train line and not associated with the road works?