News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
mattwinter
High Rise Poster!

Re: U/C: Electrification & Upgrade of the Adelaide Rail Network

#3361 Post by mattwinter » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:15 pm

A NEW Tonsley station will be built regardless of the election outcome,
but campaigners say it’s vital the new stop is accessible to all
commuters.
The Labor Party has announced that if re-elected, it would spend $11 million
rebuilding the Tonsley station just south of Alawoona Ave, as part of a wider plan to
extend the line to Flinders University.
Meantime, the Liberals have also announced they would rebuild the station, but say
they will consult with experts and residents on its best location.

Under the Labor plan, the new Tonsley stop would be about 500m north of the
existing one, featuring security cameras, improved lighting and disability access.
A shared path would connect residents from Mitchell Park and Clovelly Park to the
new station.
More than 1600 people had signed a petition protesting against the State
Government’s plan to close the current station as part of the Flinders Link project.
Under those plans, the rail line would extend over Sturt Rd, with its elevated section
beginning north of the current Tonsley stop.

How the Tonsley line extension to Flinders will look
Mitchell Park resident Jodie Pearce, who started the petition and uses a wheelchair,
was pleased “both sides of government are finally recognising the importance of rail
access”.
However, she said the new station must not be out of reach for residents in the
southern parts of Mitchell Park and Tonsley.
“I’d really like to see the station closer to Ash Avenue and Timothy Court,” Ms
Pearce said.
Elder’s sitting Labor MP, Annabel Digance, said a “new and accessible station”
between the existing Tonsley and Clovelly Park stations “with improved
connectivity for all residents is a win”.
Liberal candidate Carolyn Habib said it was important locals had easy access to the
train.
“That’s why we’ll be investigating the best location for the Tonsley train station,” she
said.
SA Best candidate Michael Slattery said: “I agree that there needs to be a train
station for the Tonsley people but how that works in to the infrastructure model
that’s there, I’m not sure.”
So I'm pretty sure this was always the plan. There were always going to be 3 stations on the line - Mitchell Park, Clovelly Park and the new station at Flinders. And I think it was always the plan to rename 'Clovelly Park' to 'Tonsley'. The rebuild of Clovelly Park has been in the plans before too, in fact it was originally included in the Tonsley Electrification project, but that project was restricted by funding.

Really this is just clever marketing spin by Labor, and somehow they've got some quotes supporting the plans from the people that complained in the first place. Even though nothing has changed.

Mind you - I'm a local resident who uses these stations and I would say that:
  • 3 stations is plenty for the line, people can't expect stations every 300m so they don't have to walk.
  • The rebuild looks great and is sorely needed as the station will get a lot more use with the Tonsley redevelopment.
  • The pictures include track duplicaition, which is definitely needed to get the 15m frequence of service.
  • The location is perfect. Just south of Alawoona is where it should be. Good accessibility for the Tonsely Redevelopment, roughly in the middle between Mitchell Park Station and Flinders Station to service as many people as possible. Some people who live close to Sturt Road will still have to walk across the bridge and catch the train from Flinders Station, but like I said we can't have stations every 300m. Ash Avenue (which is proposed by the resident in the article) would be a terrible choice. Much closer to Flinders station than to Mitchell Park, rather than having stations evenly distributed. It would also mean no station close to the residential area of the Tonsely redevelopment. It's clear that the location Labor have chosen is the right one. Liberal haven't nailed their colours to the mast, but I'm sure they would go with the same spot.
  • Shared path is really important too. Current pedestrian access to the stations around this area is not great. I'm not sure if the shared path will continue North of the new station, but there have been plans in place for a while for a 'Tonsley Greenway' which will go right through to Daws Road. This is what is needed, pedestrian access North of Celtic Avenue is particularly bad.

Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#3362 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:15 am

Croydon station is nearing completion:

Lots of sit-standy things and benches along the entire length of the platforms, which is nice - makes such a change from the tiny shelters and minimal seating at the old station. Interestingly, there's only one bench under each of the shelters at this stage - not sure if there are more to be added or if this space has been deliberately left for standing. I think one of the community groups was working in conjunction with DPTI on some mosaic benches for the station before the upgrade was announced - maybe the gaps are for these.

No sign of any screens or CCTV yet but it looks like the electronics for the audible train times thingy (yellow pole) hasn't been connected up yet so I'm still hoping there is some electronic wizardry to be added yet. I'm not sure if the blue pole is an emergency contact pole but it looks like it might be as per the new Bowden station.

All in all it's a massive improvement on what was there - hopefully there will be more station upgrades on the entire network in this style.

Nathan

#3363 Post by Nathan » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:36 am

Llessur2002 wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:15 am
I think one of the community groups was working in conjunction with DPTI on some mosaic benches for the station before the upgrade was announced - maybe the gaps are for these.
Hindmarsh Greening? I don't think they'll rest until the entirety of the inner north-west is covered in mosaic tiles.

Llessur2002

#3364 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:39 am

Nathan wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:36 am
Llessur2002 wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:15 am
I think one of the community groups was working in conjunction with DPTI on some mosaic benches for the station before the upgrade was announced - maybe the gaps are for these.
Hindmarsh Greening? I don't think they'll rest until the entirety of the inner north-west is covered in mosaic tiles.
Those are the fellas.

I think their goal is to make everything wipe-clean.

English Electric
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#3365 Post by English Electric » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:37 pm

I happened to pass through Croydon station this morning and was struck by the very miserly provision of seating at the moment. There is one bench for precisely three bottoms - everyone else has to stand or lean.

I'd just missed a train and luckily could bag myself a seat on the empty Adelaide-bound platform. It was just at the tail end of the morning peak, so quite a few punters had arrived by the time the next train rolled in. No one was game to sit next to me - they were all standing and luckily all were healthy-looking young or middle age people off to work or uni at that time of day. If it had been after 09.01, and the Port Line's cohort of frail oldies had come out of the woodwork, I'm sure the lack of seating would have been more of a nuisance.

Let's hope the expectation of extra "artistic" seating at Croydon is correct.

ChillyPhilly

#3366 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:19 am

Letters have been circulated to residents close to the Gawler line.

ImageImage
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

EBG

#3367 Post by EBG » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:05 pm

What has happened to the Tonsley to FMC link. There has been no news since the election. Are the liberals just going to review this project for 6 months then quietly forget about it.

PeFe

#3368 Post by PeFe » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:15 pm

Just taking a "stab" in the dark, but I dont think the Flinders link train extension can be built until the Darlington Road upgrade has nearly finished.....

SBD

#3369 Post by SBD » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:37 pm

PeFe wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:15 pm
Just taking a "stab" in the dark, but I dont think the Flinders link train extension can be built until the Darlington Road upgrade has nearly finished.....
The "right turn" bridge onto Ayliffes Road is being built and then moved in to position like the two flyovers of South Road over the end of the Expressway. The road bridge probably has to be able to walk through the space where the railway bridge will eventually be before the railway bridge can be built.

Mr Messy
Gold-Member ;)

#3370 Post by Mr Messy » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:03 am

The latest community liaison minutes say that detailed design is almost finished and they are in the process of enlisting a contractor

[Shuz]

#3371 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:00 am

EBG wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:05 pm
What has happened to the Tonsley to FMC link. There has been no news since the election. Are the liberals just going to review this project for 6 months then quietly forget about it.
You can see the piles being built for the support structures of the bridge as part of the Darlington roadworks. Maybe not from the car window, but if you get on a bus and sit at the very back, you can see over the fence.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

#3372 Post by SouthAussie94 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:12 pm

SBD wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:37 pm
PeFe wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:15 pm
The "right turn" bridge onto Ayliffes Road is being built and then moved in to position like the two flyovers of South Road over the end of the Expressway. The road bridge probably has to be able to walk through the space where the railway bridge will eventually be before the railway bridge can be built.
It's been a while since I've been through Darlington. Is the Ayliffes Rd bridge being built near Hungry Jack's?
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

Tonsley213
High Rise Poster!

#3373 Post by Tonsley213 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:15 pm

By the looks of it no. Those temporary blocks like they had near the HJs appear to be being put up north of Sturt road

SBD

#3374 Post by SBD » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:19 pm

Tonsley213 wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:15 pm
By the looks of it no. Those temporary blocks like they had near the HJs appear to be being put up north of Sturt road
I have not been there either. Has the second South Road bridge been built and put in place? I saw the videos of the first one, but haven't seen any more.

PD2/20
High Rise Poster!

#3375 Post by PD2/20 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:55 pm

SBD wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:19 pm

I have not been there either. Has the second South Road bridge been built and put in place? I saw the videos of the first one, but haven't seen any more.
When I passed yesterday, bridge has been built, with parapets fitted and painted. It looks ready for the move. However the supports at the end of the expressway may require more work.