News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
PeFe
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

#3526 Post by PeFe » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:30 am

rubberman wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:14 am
Almost every European city, excluding the UK, uses low floor buses with multiple entry.
No they dont, sorry to pour water on this theory, but infact I am writing this post from my hotel room in Spain.

So far I have been through France (Paris, Lyon, Marseille, Montpellier and Bordeaux) Lots of bendy buses, but no multiple entry boardings.....same for Spain (so far) maybe the multiple-entry thing on buses is really big in Eastern Europe but not in the west.
And maybe in smaller cities where the buses don't goes more than 5kms and have more space to operate in.

Buses in London and Paris are very slow due to clogged roads and older winding city streets and unfortunately in London they compete with the tube rather than enhancing it.

I would like to see the reaction Adelaide Now if you removed CBD bus stops (to enhance and speed up the service)

And to quote the tv show "Yes Minister"..." That's a very brave move Minister, a VERY brave move!"

ChillyPhilly

#3527 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:00 am

GAWLER ELECTRIFICATION | The latest letter to residents on or close to the corridor.

Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

HeapsGood
High Rise Poster!
Location: At the Adelaide Airport thankfully now not having to use a Dyson Airblade

#3528 Post by HeapsGood » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:20 am

I noticed a bus in the Adelaide CBD which was driving past me was promoting side loading from its side door. Must be a trial?
*Looks at Dyson Airblade Factory* "I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure"

Nathan

#3529 Post by Nathan » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:35 am

HeapsGood wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:20 am
I noticed a bus in the Adelaide CBD which was driving past me was promoting side loading from its side door. Must be a trial?
O-Bahn buses have side door loading.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#3530 Post by ml69 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:53 pm

Nathan wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:35 am
HeapsGood wrote:
How long have they been doing that for?

Llessur2002

#3531 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:01 pm

ml69 wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:53 pm
Nathan wrote:
HeapsGood wrote:
Since Monday 26th March 2018:

https://adelaidemetro.com.au/Announceme ... r-boarding

metro
Legendary Member!

#3532 Post by metro » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:24 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:01 pm
ml69 wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:53 pm
Nathan wrote:

Since Monday 26th March 2018:

https://adelaidemetro.com.au/Announceme ... r-boarding
Seen a few people from out of town tapping their metrocard to touch-off when exiting, might need a sign above the rear door readers to tell visitors that we don't touch off with Metrocard in Adelaide.

rubberman

#3533 Post by rubberman » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:45 pm

PeFe wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:30 am
rubberman wrote:
Almost every European city, excluding the UK, uses low floor buses with multiple entry.
No they dont, sorry to pour water on this theory, but infact I am writing this post from my hotel room in Spain.

So far I have been through France (Paris, Lyon, Marseille, Montpellier and Bordeaux) Lots of bendy buses, but no multiple entry boardings.....same for Spain (so far) maybe the multiple-entry thing on buses is really big in Eastern Europe but not in the west.
And maybe in smaller cities where the buses don't goes more than 5kms and have more space to operate in.

Buses in London and Paris are very slow due to clogged roads and older winding city streets and unfortunately in London they compete with the tube rather than enhancing it.

I would like to see the reaction Adelaide Now if you removed CBD bus stops (to enhance and speed up the service)

And to quote the tv show "Yes Minister"..." That's a very brave move Minister, a VERY brave move!"
Lol! I am talking of systems with multiple times the passengers of Adelaide.

Adelaide itself had all door loading on the 600, 700, 800, 900 series buses that replaced the trams.

As for removing the stops? Yikes! Let me explain this then. If I want to travel on any service through the CBD, then let's say for the purposes of illustration that there's about four or five stops my bus stops at. My bus takes two minutes to load through the front door...or more if someone has a question for the driver. Now If we have 3 door loading, then 30 seconds to load per stop is a good average. I then save 7-8 minutes off my time in the CBD. That extra 1.5 minutes per stop can allow buses from other routes to use the same stop without causing congestion. There's still the same number of stopping places per bus, that is four or five. I haven't reduced the number of stopping places on any route, I have combined stopping places. That means anyone travelling through the CBD still has the same number of places to use, there's just fewer of them. Just like when we had 3 door buses previously. There were more passengers then per route, the same number of stopping places per route, but fewer stops.

As for the Indaily, if people are getting 7-8 minutes off their travel, and the same number of points to board/alight, I find it hard to imagine what angle they could pull if the only downside was that the location of some boarding places was changed.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#3534 Post by ml69 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:09 pm

rubberman wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:45 pm
PeFe wrote:
rubberman wrote:

Adelaide itself had all door loading on the 600, 700, 800, 900 series buses that replaced the trams.

As for removing the stops? Yikes! Let me explain this then. If I want to travel on any service through the CBD, then let's say for the purposes of illustration that there's about four or five stops my bus stops at. My bus takes two minutes to load through the front door...or more if someone has a question for the driver. Now If we have 3 door loading, then 30 seconds to load per stop is a good average. I then save 7-8 minutes off my time in the CBD. That extra 1.5 minutes per stop can allow buses from other routes to use the same stop without causing congestion. There's still the same number of stopping places per bus, that is four or five. I haven't reduced the number of stopping places on any route, I have combined stopping places. That means anyone travelling through the CBD still has the same number of places to use, there's just fewer of them. Just like when we had 3 door buses previously. There were more passengers then per route, the same number of stopping places per route, but fewer stops.

As for the Indaily, if people are getting 7-8 minutes off their travel, and the same number of points to board/alight, I find it hard to imagine what angle they could pull if the only downside was that the location of some boarding places was changed.
???

rubberman

#3535 Post by rubberman » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:45 pm

ml69 wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:09 pm
rubberman wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:45 pm
PeFe wrote:

???
Simplified version. All door loading of buses saves five minutes per trip during peak hours.

All door loading requires less road space for bus stops, meaning more space for parking or taxis.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#3536 Post by ml69 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:32 pm

rubberman wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:45 pm
Simplified version. All door loading of buses saves five minutes per trip during peak hours.

All door loading requires less road space for bus stops, meaning more space for parking or taxis.
Gotcha.

EBG

#3537 Post by EBG » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:21 pm

As for removing bus stops to speed up traffic, stops 1 and 4 (in both directions) have been removed on Glen Osmond Rd between Greenhill Rd and Fullarton Rd. I think stop 6 may have been removed as well. Also several bus stops. in the "to City direction" have been widened to allow the bus to pull off the road to allow traffic to continue past while the bus is loading.

Llessur2002

#3538 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:26 am

So much for increasing the number of bus/train interchanges...
Anger as bus interchange scrapped from $16.4m Port Dock railway plan

NEW plans for the $16.4 million Port Dock Railway Station have revealed the State Government is no longer planning to include a bus interchange in the design.

Port Adelaide Enfield councillors were recently given an update on the project, which includes building a one-kilometre spur line and railway station on Baker St.

The original announcement included a bus interchange next to the station.

However, according to the council, this commitment — which would relocate buses from Commercial Rd and North Parade — has not been “provided at this time”.

A Transport Department said it was “working closely” with the council to ensure “the Port Dock Rail Spur Project was designed in a manner that provides the most balanced outcome for public transport users.”

He said a bus interchange would be investigated “as a possible addition to the project works” and that the project design had not been finalised.

The council said the decision not to include a bus interchange was “disappointing” and voted for Mayor Gary Johanson to write to Transport Minister Stephan Knoll expressing its concern.

Mr Johanson said buses parked in front of businesses on Commercial Rd for up to 10 minutes taking up much needed parking spaces.

“We need to get those buses out of there — it’s not a lay-over area for buses,” he said.

“It should never have been allowed in the first place.
“It’s polluting, it’s dirty, it’s smelly, it’s not professional, it’s noisy — these buses need to be in a backstreet and the ideal location is in that car park (at the Port Dock Railway Station).”

Local business owners and residents as well as Port Adelaide state Labor MP Susan Close agreed the buses need to be relocated.

Resident Ian Winter said Commercial Rd would “remain dead” as long as the bus stops were there.

Visitor Information Centre volunteer Ian Walsh was worried about an apparent threat to shifting “the disgusting bus stops”.

He described the current Commercial Rd stops as “quite unsafe … badly lit, cold and unbelievably ugly — not what should be experienced by those visiting the Port”.

Supporting this view, Karena Colquhoun, from the Port Adelaide Guide traders group, said: “A well lit, well sheltered interchange would make such a positive difference.”

Dr Close said the Transport Department needed “to find a way to link the railway station with buses without compromising parking places nor the adjacent cycling route.”

Earlier this year, Lipson St residents and cyclists started a petition to have the bus interchange shifted to St Vincent St, saying it would interfere with the Outer Harbor Greenway and be detrimental to the health of residents.
From: https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenge ... 032ca55efe

[Shuz]

#3539 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:08 pm

Surely a compromise in the meantime until they work something out is to put up a couple of signs at the new railway station advising passengers that the bus stops are 100m walk away on commercial road and to walk via St Vincent Road or Butler Street.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

claybro

#3540 Post by claybro » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:56 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:08 pm
Surely a compromise in the meantime until they work something out is to put up a couple of signs at the new railway station advising passengers that the bus stops are 100m walk away on commercial road and to walk via St Vincent Road or Butler Street.
Isn't the point that the Commercial Road traders don't want buses using the street as a bus layover, with idling buses spewing fumes all over their shopfronts? Having a sign at the railway station directing commuters to the buses wont stop what appears to be the main gripe here, and just allow the government to sweep it under the carpet.