News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Message
Author
how good is he
Legendary Member!
Posts: 893
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:26 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 43 times

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

#3946 Post by how good is he » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:40 am

I'm just curious why they didn't design the line straighter to finish up in front of the medical centre & hospital? All I can think is with the bend it gives the potential to extend the line to the Flinders Uni. but with the gradient of the slope I think it would be almost impossible, right?

RetroGamer87
Sen-Rookie-Sational
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:01 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

#3947 Post by RetroGamer87 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:45 am

If the line went in front of the hospital it block the road.

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1629
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:41 pm
Location: Adelaide CBD, SA
Been thanked: 196 times

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

#3948 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:27 pm

how good is he wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:40 am
I'm just curious why they didn't design the line straighter to finish up in front of the medical centre & hospital? All I can think is with the bend it gives the potential to extend the line to the Flinders Uni. but with the gradient of the slope I think it would be almost impossible, right?
Because the current alignment allows them to extend it beyond FMC and to surrounding suburbs, that said, building it as a single track will cause issues for this if it ever comes to fruition...

User avatar
SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 2233
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:42 pm
Location: City
Has thanked: 486 times
Been thanked: 199 times

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

#3949 Post by SRW » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:02 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:27 pm
how good is he wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:40 am
I'm just curious why they didn't design the line straighter to finish up in front of the medical centre & hospital? All I can think is with the bend it gives the potential to extend the line to the Flinders Uni. but with the gradient of the slope I think it would be almost impossible, right?
Because the current alignment allows them to extend it beyond FMC and to surrounding suburbs, that said, building it as a single track will cause issues for this if it ever comes to fruition...
Actually, the alignment towards Sturt makes it harder to do what you suggest. That's been one of the criticisms (primarily from Aidan) of this project, although the more practical issue (as opposed to hypothetical) is the lack of proper interconnection between the future railway and existing bus interchange.
Keep Adelaide Weird

how good is he
Legendary Member!
Posts: 893
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:26 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 43 times

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

#3950 Post by how good is he » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:25 pm

I agree SRW to both your points. RetroGamer87, I meant an elevated line over the road accessed by lift, stairs, skybridge etc. As the line is elevated already it could just continue.

Eurostar
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 474
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:44 pm
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 27 times

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

#3951 Post by Eurostar » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:40 pm

how good is he wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:40 am
I'm just curious why they didn't design the line straighter to finish up in front of the medical centre & hospital? All I can think is with the bend it gives the potential to extend the line to the Flinders Uni. but with the gradient of the slope I think it would be almost impossible, right?
Possibly because the proposed station site is on State Government owned land, maybe it was reserved from way back.

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2035
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:10 am
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

#3952 Post by Aidan » Wed May 01, 2019 11:34 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:If the line went in front of the hospital it block the road.
No it wouldn't. Instead it would go above the road.
Alternatively it could go below or west of the road. I think above would be better, but all three options are better than what the government favours.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2035
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:10 am
Been thanked: 8 times

News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

#3953 Post by Aidan » Wed May 01, 2019 11:40 am

Eurostar, AIUI the land is Flinders owned rather than State Government owned.

DPTI considered straighter options, but rejected them in a fundamentally flawed selection process. The root cause of the problem is lack of public scrutiny of DPTI's decision making process. Their full report is still being kept secret, but what the State Commission Assessment Panel forced them to reveal shows they have made false assumptions.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

aaronjameslange
Sen-Rookie-Sational
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:53 pm
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

#3954 Post by aaronjameslange » Wed May 01, 2019 2:25 pm

As the current tonsley station is being deleted, will the new station be named tonsley? You cant have a tonsley line with no tonsley station.
Or will we rename the whole thing the Flinders line?

rubberman
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1282
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:32 pm
Location: ADL ex DRW, ASP, MGB
Has thanked: 141 times
Been thanked: 227 times

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

#3955 Post by rubberman » Wed May 01, 2019 3:44 pm

aaronjameslange wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 2:25 pm
As the current tonsley station is being deleted, will the new station be named tonsley? You cant have a tonsley line with no tonsley station.
Or will we rename the whole thing the Flinders line?
Flinders Uni Central Station.

User avatar
PeFe
Legendary Member!
Posts: 866
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:47 am
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 108 times

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

#3956 Post by PeFe » Wed May 01, 2019 3:49 pm

I am pretty sure the new name of the line, 'Flinders", has already been gazetted (or was it a notice of name changing?)

mattwinter
Gold-Member ;)
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 3:21 pm
Been thanked: 12 times

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

#3957 Post by mattwinter » Wed May 01, 2019 5:56 pm

It'll become the Flinders line and I think it's likely the current Clovelly Park station (Which is right next to the Tonsley precinct) will be renamed 'Tonsley' at some point, although that will depend on whether locals get their wish with a station being built between Tonsley and the new Flinders station to replace the current Tonsley station. That at least won't happen immediately.

I think you'll find Flinders Uni favoured putting the station where it will now end up, because of a future development they're planning over that side of the hopsital. I don't hate the planned location and I don't think future extensions are realistically worth considering as they're unlikely to ever be feasible.

how good is he
Legendary Member!
Posts: 893
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:26 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 43 times

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

#3958 Post by how good is he » Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

Can you elaborate what the Flinders Uni development adjacent may or will be? Possibly medicine/health, a new faculty or student accommodation would all make sense.

mattwinter
Gold-Member ;)
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 3:21 pm
Been thanked: 12 times

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

#3959 Post by mattwinter » Thu May 02, 2019 10:46 am

how good is he wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm
Can you elaborate what the Flinders Uni development adjacent may or will be? Possibly medicine/health, a new faculty or student accommodation would all make sense.
I can't find much on it, but it was mentioned in the big Flinders Link document that the SCAP approved. Think it might be generally referred to as the "Flinders Urban Village"

Here's one link: https://www.holmesdyer.com.au/assets/PS ... r-Plan.pdf

"The concept takes advantage of, and builds upon, the new Flinders Link train line extension
and railway station to deliver a pedestrian focused urban village which incorporates a retail/
commercial/community hub, an activated town square, extensive student accommodation
and opportunities for health services expansion (associated with the adjacent hospital), as
well as a range of education, research and commercialisation spaces."

^^ Which all sounds pretty good to me. Using rail projects to stimulate other development is always a good thing I reckon.

how good is he
Legendary Member!
Posts: 893
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:26 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 43 times

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

#3960 Post by how good is he » Thu May 02, 2019 11:52 am

Great find. If they extended the line/path towards University Drive they could create a bus hub/connection there. Also there was a free shuttle that used to go around Flinders Uni, Medical centre, Sturt campus etc.. not sure if it still does but it would be ideal to connect there.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 8 guests