News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
trainadelaide
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re: Electrification and Resleepering of suburban rail networ

#1351 Post by trainadelaide » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:15 pm

This is my first post anyway today i was on DTEI and i found this:
http://www.infrastructure.sa.gov.au/oaklandspark. Some overpass at Oaklands

Xaragmata
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1352 Post by Xaragmata » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:48 am

Salisbury looks about ready for track work (not sure if Park Tce level crossing will be replaced yet) - Elizabeth station & interchange ready for new construction - Friday:

(Salisbury)

(Elizabeth)

Last edited by Xaragmata on Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PeFe

#1353 Post by PeFe » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:43 am

Are they going to upgrade Salisbury Station? It desparately needs a make-over to bring it into the modern world, especially if it is supposed to be the centre of the future Salisbury TOD. Walking over train tracks to get to the other platform should be an anachronism in this day and age.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1354 Post by crawf » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:27 pm

I'm guessing the last couple of pics are Elizabeth?

Thanks for your updates again Xaragmata

Xaragmata

#1355 Post by Xaragmata » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:36 am

crawf wrote:I'm guessing the last couple of pics are Elizabeth?

Thanks for your updates again Xaragmata
You're welcome - I've since marked them to make it clearer - they are Elizabeth. 11 level crossings, including Park Terrace, will be upgraded.

believesinadsy
Gold-Member ;)

#1356 Post by believesinadsy » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:42 am

when does the actual electrification begin, and of which lines?
ta

fabricator
Legendary Member!

#1357 Post by fabricator » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:33 am

believesinadsy wrote:when does the actual electrification begin, and of which lines?
ta
Noarlunga will be the first line to have complete overhead, but looks as if parts of the Gawler line will be the first to get overhead supports installed. First section with both electric trains and electric overhead will be Seaford, then the rest of Noarlunga. The reason for doing parts of the Gawler line is to avoid a second closure to go back and install masts and wires at a later date.
AdelaideNow: Now with 300% more Liberal Party hacks, at no extra cost.

metro
Legendary Member!

#1358 Post by metro » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:08 pm

they do not need to close a rail line just to put in the Electrification systems, the supports are 1-2m away from the track and can be erected between train services, also the wiring can be put up overnight. Standardization of the track will be far more disruptive, because all of the tracks, all of the points/switches etc and all of the trains will have to be converted.

[Shuz]

#1359 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:38 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong - so you're telling me that they've closed down the track to re-sleeper them and put in new ballast, soil, rocks, etc. Then re-open it for a few months, only to close the line again for when they convert it to standard gauge, the re-open it for a few months again, only to close it intermittently for electrification works?

Riiight.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

metro
Legendary Member!

#1360 Post by metro » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:03 pm

from what I make of it, replacing the old tracks with new concrete track is the most disruptive with tracks needing to be closed for months at a time. electrification is not that very disruptive at all, the supports are 1-2m away from the track and they should be able to erect them with no problems, trains will just have to slow down past where crews are working, the wiring can be put up at night or on weekends. If you were on the Glenelg tram line, they had completely replace the overhead wiring and all of the supports, and I dont remember much disruption when they did that.

I think Standardization of the track has been put off until 2016, so we wont have to experience that logistical nightmare for a few years.

rhino

#1361 Post by rhino » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:57 am

Are you saying that they're going to electrify broad gauge track, then, in a few years, after the wires and everything is in place, convert to standard gauge? This would mean buying gauge-convertable electric railcars too (extra expense), unless they're going to stick with only the converted-to-electric-traction pox boxes until 2016. Something don't sound right.
cheers,
Rhino

Tonsley213
High Rise Poster!

#1362 Post by Tonsley213 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:51 pm

Converting the track to standard gauge in 2016 has been the plan for a long time now. The trains the Government has ordered are all broad gauge.

Archer
High Rise Poster!

#1363 Post by Archer » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:32 pm

Tonsley213 wrote:Converting the track to standard gauge in 2016 has been the plan for a long time now. The trains the Government has ordered are all broad gauge.
What's the point of going to Standard Gauge at all then? If you've got broad gauge track with Broad gauge trains running on it, there's no need to change it. Why would the government then go and spend even more money on converting the track and the trains to Standard, where's the benefit in doing that?

What was the original reason for converting everything to standard anyway, and why has that changed?

rhino

#1364 Post by rhino » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:10 pm

I remember hearing something about the ability to buy standard gauge rollingstock "off the shelf", which made gauge conversion worthwhile. But if we're buying broad gauge rollingstock .....

Also, as the trams are standard gauge, this means that the trains and trams will not be able to share track. So tram/trains are definately off the agenda then? Or only until 2016?

How hard is it to gauge-convert rollingstock anyway?
cheers,
Rhino

Archer
High Rise Poster!

#1365 Post by Archer » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:40 pm

rhino wrote:I remember hearing something about the ability to buy standard gauge rollingstock "off the shelf", which made gauge conversion worthwhile. But if we're buying broad gauge rollingstock .....
I remember this also, which is why I'm a bit confused as to what is actually happenning with all of this. Does anyone have any information or a link to a document showing what has actually been ordered for the new trains?