News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

#4606 Post by claybro » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:59 pm

Great find Haso. Interesting the line linking Port Dock and Dry Creek. I wonder if anyone has any info on if this was a regular service-or just to service end of shift etc? Interesting that all these years later when the population of these areas is increasing that there is no move to re-introduce this link-I have alway thought linking Mawson lakes and Port adelaide would be great for people working in those centers but living in other suburbs. Guess it just goes to show how these once great industrial areas have become void of workers, and how much those that are left now rely on just their own cars.

claybro

#4607 Post by claybro » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:17 pm

Great find Haso. Interesting the line linking Port Dock and Dry Creek. I wonder if anyone has any info on if this was a regular service-or just to service end of shift etc? Interesting that all these years later when the population of these areas is increasing that there is no move to re-introduce this link-I have alway thought linking Mawson lakes and Port adelaide would be great for people working in those centers but living in other suburbs. Guess it just goes to show how these once great industrial areas have become void of workers, and how much those that are left now rely on just their own cars.

ginzahikari
Gold-Member ;)

#4608 Post by ginzahikari » Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:50 pm

Haso wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:51 pm

I found this by chance – State Transport Authority, Rail Map, 1980. It’s interesting to see how it was 40 years ago.

http://www.railmaps.com.au/historic_rai ... e_1980.htm

What do they mean by ticket office? Most of the stations labelled with one aren't staffed and doesn't have any sort of ticket vending.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4609 Post by SRW » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:17 pm

ginzahikari wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:50 pm
What do they mean by ticket office? Most of the stations labelled with one aren't staffed and doesn't have any sort of ticket vending.
This map is from 40 years ago. Many stations once had, or were adjacent to, little kiosks.
Keep Adelaide Weird

ChillyPhilly

#4610 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:23 pm

ginzahikari wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:50 pm
Haso wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:51 pm

I found this by chance – State Transport Authority, Rail Map, 1980. It’s interesting to see how it was 40 years ago.

http://www.railmaps.com.au/historic_rai ... e_1980.htm
This map is from 1980. There were ticket offices at these stations.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

PeFe

#4611 Post by PeFe » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:42 pm

For what I can remember of 1980, there would have been ticket offices at Bowden, Woodville and Glanville on the Outer Harbour line for example.....the rest of the stations would have been unstaffed. This was typical of the Adelaide train network at the time.

That 1980 map makes the train network much more sophisticated than it really was...

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

#4612 Post by OlympusAnt » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:31 pm

The 1980 map looks the same as today with a few appendages
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

NTRabbit
High Rise Poster!

#4613 Post by NTRabbit » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:35 pm

I didn't realise the Noarlunga station had been open that long, I thought I remembered it being brand new when I was a wee lad in the late 80s

Patrick_27

#4614 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:36 pm

I've always been curious about the idea of reopening the Northfield Line and extending it to Golden Grove/Athelstone instead of extending the O'Bahn, obviously far more expensive but it would keep a lot of buses off the roads and do a lot in the way of moving large volumes of people.

SBD

#4615 Post by SBD » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:29 am

NTRabbit wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:35 pm
I didn't realise the Noarlunga station had been open that long, I thought I remembered it being brand new when I was a wee lad in the late 80s
I wonder if this map was published when Noarlunga Centre opened. I think I remember a steam train special around most or the metro network to commemorate the opening, and I would have been about the right age in the late 1970s or 1980 I think.

SBD

#4616 Post by SBD » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:33 am

OlympusAnt wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:31 pm
The 1980 map looks the same as today with a few appendages
All four branches from the Gawler line have closed and North Gawler renamed. Mawson Lakes is new, too. I thought there were several Penfield stations then, with the imaginative names of Penfield 1, Penfield 2 and Penfield 3, with a balloon loop at the end.

Bridgewater line is shorter now, and Noarlunga Centre is longer.

I agree with whoever said that putting services back on the dry creek to port Adelaide line looks good, but I doubt it can happen now on an ARTC line.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#4617 Post by Spotto » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:29 pm

On the topic of a restored Port Adelaide to Dry Creek service. If/when the Northern Connector rail component (green line) is built the Dry Creek to Port Adelaide line will effectively be made redundant (unless access is maintained for the Bluescope Steel sidings). I'd like to see one of two uses for the line:

1) The line is handed to DPTI and converted to BG for a diesel service between Glanville (has a bay platform) and Mawson Lakes (better/convenient integration with train and bus, Dry Creek is too isolated). Stopping Glanville, Ethelton, Port Adelaide, Rosewater (Eric Sutton Reserve) or Grand Junction Road, Eastern Parade, Dry Creek, Mawson Lakes.

2) The line is handed to the Railway Museum and converted to BG (state funding assist) for heritage rides between Jacketts Siding and Dry Creek. A connection between heritage and metro trains would be invaluable to make it easy for people to come for a visit and a ride. Its proximity to the city and suburbs is also an advantage. Dry Creek Platform 1 helps keep it isolated from the metro network.
Creek NC.png

Joelmark
High Rise Poster!

#4618 Post by Joelmark » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:51 pm

PeFe wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:42 pm
For what I can remember of 1980, there would have been ticket offices at Bowden, Woodville and Glanville on the Outer Harbour line for example.....the rest of the stations would have been unstaffed. This was typical of the Adelaide train network at the time.

That 1980 map makes the train network much more sophisticated than it really was...
Many of the stations had ticket offices / kiosks incorporated into their concrete central shelters. From the Gawler line in the mid 1980s I can remember Broadmeadows, Womma, Elizabeth and Elizabeth South all had these.
In about 1987-88, the STA embarked upon a "station improvement programme" which saw many of the shelters replaced with the larger olive green bus stop style ones you see at Nurlutta for example. Some like Salisbury had their historic ones demolished and replaced with the current interchange type ones. Others like Womma simply had the staffed ticket office either demolished or sealed off, with the original 1960s style concrete structure remnant.
My former "local" Smithfield once had a beautiful building similar to the one at North Adelaide that was replaced around 1987 - surprisingly late in terms of heritage consciousness. I'm sure others on here can recount similar stories from other lines.

EBG

#4619 Post by EBG » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:14 pm

if you really want to see something rare check out this Adelaide rail map from 1974 .it still shows the line through Woodville north to North Arm Rd . Although this was a freight route, it did have a limited peak hour service operated by single carriage red hens.
Attachments
Map_Adelaide_ rail 1974.jpg

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

#4620 Post by SouthAussie94 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:53 pm

EBG wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:14 pm
if you really want to see something rare check out this Adelaide rail map from 1974 .it still shows the line through Woodville north to North Arm Rd . Although this was a freight route, it did have a limited peak hour service operated by single carriage red hens.
Am I reading it correctly that you couldn't catch a train directly from Adelaide to Outer Harbor, rather you would need to go via Dry Creek and Gillman?
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation