News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
bits
Legendary Member!

Re: U/C: Electrification & Upgrade of the Adelaide Rail Netw

#2851 Post by bits » Sun May 15, 2016 6:15 pm

I think Stop 4 Forestville (400m) is closer than Stop 3 Goodwood (500m).

Why not move the Forestville Station 200m north-east to just south-west of the overpass, corner of Ethel Street and Norman Terrace.
Then it is just a 150-200m walk to Goodwood Railway Station, right where the proposed new bike overpass would end.
Parking available for train and tram off Lyons Parade, Aroha Terrace and Ether Street. Eg better than Stop 4 currently offers.

That is surely what is currently being looked in to.

Why do you think Stop 3 is a better option to move than Stop 4?

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2852 Post by Patrick_27 » Sun May 15, 2016 7:13 pm

bits wrote:I think Stop 4 Forestville (400m) is closer than Stop 3 Goodwood (500m).

Why not move the Forestville Station 200m north-east to just south-west of the overpass, corner of Ethel Street and Norman Terrace.
Then it is just a 150-200m walk to Goodwood Railway Station, right where the proposed new bike overpass would end.
Parking available for train and tram off Lyons Parade, Aroha Terrace and Ether Street. Eg better than Stop 4 currently offers.

That is surely what is currently being looked in to.

Why do you think Stop 3 is a better option to move than Stop 4?
I lived in Aroha Terrace directly opposite the tram overpass when it was being built, when I went on the tour for the overpass in the final months of construction they said that Goodwood Road and Marion Road/Cross Road were the next being considered for removal of level crossings. I imagine the plan with Marion Road/Cross Road would be to build an overpass running the entire span with a station located halfway between the two. Why couldn't they do the same with Goodwood? Go over Goodwood Road and continue the bridge over the train lines; build a new tram station halfway along with a pedestrian walkway along the whole bridge accessing both sides of Goodwood Road, both sides of the train lines and both train station platforms. I know I've said this before, but it makes more sense every-time I think about it.

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2853 Post by Patrick_27 » Sun May 15, 2016 7:17 pm

mattwinter wrote:Will be able to get rid of the underground station access which is so dark and dodgey.
It may be dark and dodgy but it won't be going anywhere, this new bridge has no wheelchair access to the station platforms... Unless there are hidden elevators that I can't see?

electrictechron
Gold-Member ;)

#2854 Post by electrictechron » Sun May 15, 2016 8:10 pm

The underground platform access isn't too bad, could just do with a bit of work.
The JetExpress must be saved!

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2855 Post by Norman » Sun May 15, 2016 9:21 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
mattwinter wrote:Will be able to get rid of the underground station access which is so dark and dodgey.
It may be dark and dodgy but it won't be going anywhere, this new bridge has no wheelchair access to the station platforms... Unless there are hidden elevators that I can't see?
There are elevators, they are on the opposite side of the stairs going to the platforms.

fishinajar
High Rise Poster!

#2856 Post by fishinajar » Sun May 15, 2016 9:44 pm

electrictechron wrote:The underground platform access isn't too bad, could just do with a bit of work.
Plus the grade change with pedestrian underpasses is much better, allowing for short ramps between the access-way and the platform/s and street. Overpasses have to be so much higher, requiring either switch-back ramps or an elevator for disabled access. Surely a safe and pleasant underpass is not impossible. Security wise I doubt an overpass is much safer anyway, would just seem more open and public. Graffiti and vandalism wise, I don't know.

SAR526
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#2857 Post by SAR526 » Sun May 15, 2016 11:31 pm

I used the Goodwood station for years when I was a volunteer at the Capri Theatre, often late at night with a howling wind blowing through the 'shelters'. On one later occasion, by then having to use a electric scooter, I was approached and threatened by a very dodgy character and only just escaped serious assault by my train arriving. It is isolated from the shopping cum entertainment strip on Goodwood Road and any other destination of import except for the Unley Swimming Centre.

The underpass and ramps are narrow, and the ramps so steep that scooters stall part way up with a person of normal weight, necessitating the rider having to dismount and having to drive the scooter up while walking alongside. I for one find that a very difficult operation, but I have had to do it several times. To change trains from the Seaford line, on which I live, for the Belair line as directed by the on-board annunciators necessitates me going down the ramp from Platforms 1 and 2, through the underpass and up the ramp to Platform 3. The drivers have to provide me with a boarding ramp, lengthening the time they have to spend at the station and constituting a real nuisance for them, though the great majority of them are very pleasant about it.

If I do the same interchange at Adelaide Showground the transfer is cross platform for down Belair trains, or by lift and properly graded ramps for down Seaford trains in the reverse direction, and I can drive directly onto and off electric trains without needing the driver's ramp at all. Why, therefore, don't the annunciators tell passengers to transfer there instead of at Goodwood, and save all concerned an unpleasant and unnecessary experience?

Apart from interchanging with Glenelg bound trams from Belair line trains, Goodwood is redundant but for a relatively few local residents.
“The mind of a bigot is like the pupil of the eye. The more light you shine on it, the more it will contract.”

“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions."

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#2858 Post by Kasey771 » Mon May 16, 2016 5:54 pm

mattwinter wrote:On the Goodwood station bike overpass:

http://www.bikesablog.com/2016/05/adela ... sing-link/

Looks great and should improve station access dramatically. Will be able to get rid of the underground station access which is so dark and dodgey.

So close to being able to put a platform for the tram there as well, but like was said before I guess it couldn't quite happen without rebuilding the tram bridge as well.
Prediction:
The Sadvertiser will focus on the fact this bit of infrastructure will assist cyclists to get around and within a week..there'll be an anti-group formed to petition this not go ahead:(
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2859 Post by jk1237 » Mon May 16, 2016 7:45 pm

Kasey771 wrote: Prediction:
The Sadvertiser will focus on the fact this bit of infrastructure will assist cyclists to get around and within a week..there'll be an anti-group formed to petition this not go ahead:(
I think they have already started. The Advertiser really is utter scum

mattwinter
High Rise Poster!

#2860 Post by mattwinter » Tue May 17, 2016 12:11 am

SAR526 wrote:I used the Goodwood station for years when I was a volunteer at the Capri Theatre, often late at night with a howling wind blowing through the 'shelters'. On one later occasion, by then having to use a electric scooter, I was approached and threatened by a very dodgy character and only just escaped serious assault by my train arriving. It is isolated from the shopping cum entertainment strip on Goodwood Road and any other destination of import except for the Unley Swimming Centre.

The underpass and ramps are narrow, and the ramps so steep that scooters stall part way up with a person of normal weight, necessitating the rider having to dismount and having to drive the scooter up while walking alongside. I for one find that a very difficult operation, but I have had to do it several times. To change trains from the Seaford line, on which I live, for the Belair line as directed by the on-board annunciators necessitates me going down the ramp from Platforms 1 and 2, through the underpass and up the ramp to Platform 3. The drivers have to provide me with a boarding ramp, lengthening the time they have to spend at the station and constituting a real nuisance for them, though the great majority of them are very pleasant about it.

If I do the same interchange at Adelaide Showground the transfer is cross platform for down Belair trains, or by lift and properly graded ramps for down Seaford trains in the reverse direction, and I can drive directly onto and off electric trains without needing the driver's ramp at all. Why, therefore, don't the annunciators tell passengers to transfer there instead of at Goodwood, and save all concerned an unpleasant and unnecessary experience?

Apart from interchanging with Glenelg bound trams from Belair line trains, Goodwood is redundant but for a relatively few local residents.
You seem to get quite a few people boarding trains there in the morning. For many it's a good station to park at if you're driving from somewhere like Daw Park / Cumberland Park / St Mary's. More parking than other stations around and with two train lines shorter wait times often. Quite popular for footy games.

notmichaeljfox
High Rise Poster!

#2861 Post by notmichaeljfox » Tue May 17, 2016 11:18 am

I was just at work meeting (Flinders Uni) where they said there was going to be a sliding at the Tonsley station to allow trains to slip past. The frequency will be 15 minutes.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2862 Post by Norman » Tue May 17, 2016 11:50 am

I would assume that they mean there will be a passing loop at Clovelly Park station, because Tonsley station will be demolished. This was also in the original plan.

SAR526
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#2863 Post by SAR526 » Tue May 17, 2016 12:28 pm

You seem to get quite a few people boarding trains there in the morning. For many it's a good station to park at if you're driving from somewhere like Daw Park / Cumberland Park / St Mary's. More parking than other stations around and with two train lines shorter wait times often. Quite popular for footy games.
To which station do you refer? Goodwood is tucked away from any meaningful road access, let alone parking.

I am in favour of taking the bicycle path over the tracks and building a tram station for connection to Glenelg. Without them, Goodwood is almost useless and a waste of stopping time, though the long steep stairs that appear on the concept drawing would be as bad as the present subway/ramp access unless there were to be lifts as well. They also appear only to access the shared bike/footpath and not the tram. That would be a major mistake were it to be built.

Maybe this thread should be divided and posts about Goodwood and Adelaide Showground transferred from the original discussion about Flinders Station, in which I would also like to join.
“The mind of a bigot is like the pupil of the eye. The more light you shine on it, the more it will contract.”

“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions."

Raider
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#2864 Post by Raider » Tue May 17, 2016 1:58 pm

SAR526 wrote:I am in favour of taking the bicycle path over the tracks and building a tram station for connection to Glenelg. Without them, Goodwood is almost useless and a waste of stopping time, though the long steep stairs that appear on the concept drawing would be as bad as the present subway/ramp access unless there were to be lifts as well. They also appear only to access the shared bike/footpath and not the tram. That would be a major mistake were it to be built.
There appear to be lifts to the platforms. On the plan you can see some squares between the overpass and the tram line and on the perspective there appears to be a couple of glass boxes slightly taller than the curved overpass behind it. The missing element in this seems to be an extension of the platform roofs to meet both the stairs and the lifts.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#2865 Post by muzzamo » Tue May 17, 2016 3:06 pm

Raider wrote:On the plan
Its a concept design, not a plan. Its intention is to give the tenderers and the public a very, very rough idea what the department had in mind, without spending too much time or effort on detail. There is typically a far more extensive process to follow before reaching a detailed design.