News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.

rubberman
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: U/C: Electrification & Upgrade of the Adelaide Rail Netw

#2012 Post by rubberman » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:15 pm

Vjkdigital wrote:Is the substation even finished yet!?

Surely they wouldn't be installing wires (as much of it its even up yet) while the system is live, as we don't even have any trains to run under them. Trains won't be fitted out when they arrive anyway.

Suspect this is just a "always treat wires as live" lesson.
Not to mention "Oh look at all that loverly expensive copper wire up there" :secret:

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2013 Post by AG » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:55 pm

rubberman wrote:
Vjkdigital wrote:Is the substation even finished yet!?

Surely they wouldn't be installing wires (as much of it its even up yet) while the system is live, as we don't even have any trains to run under them. Trains won't be fitted out when they arrive anyway.

Suspect this is just a "always treat wires as live" lesson.
Not to mention "Oh look at all that loverly expensive copper wire up there" :secret:
Snip!

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2014 Post by monotonehell » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:29 pm

rubberman wrote:Not to mention "Oh look at all that loverly expensive copper wire up there" :secret:
Copper or aluminim?
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

rubberman

#2015 Post by rubberman » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:07 pm

monotonehell wrote:
rubberman wrote:Not to mention "Oh look at all that loverly expensive copper wire up there" :secret:
Copper or aluminim?
Actually, probably a copper alloy.

Aluminium is way too soft and would wear out in no time. Using the Al for the catenary would not work either as there would be some really great corrosion at the joints.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2016 Post by monotonehell » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:06 pm

rubberman wrote:
monotonehell wrote:
Copper or aluminim?
Actually, probably a copper alloy.

Aluminium is way too soft and would wear out in no time. Using the Al for the catenary would not work either as there would be some really great corrosion at the joints.
I would like to know now. I've Googled till my fingers hurt. Many articles about them. None of them mention composition.

Aidan

#2017 Post by Aidan » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:34 pm

I'd expect it to be pure copper, as alloying increases the electrical resistance. A graphite contact surface on the pantograph means aluminium could be used, but you'd need more of it, which would make it heavier and the extra cost of supporting it would negate the savings of the cheaper material.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2018 Post by monotonehell » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:54 pm

Aidan wrote:I'd expect it to be pure copper, as alloying increases the electrical resistance. A graphite contact surface on the pantograph means aluminium could be used, but you'd need more of it, which would make it heavier and the extra cost of supporting it would negate the savings of the cheaper material.
Finally found something that looks authorative that states what you guys have said. :)
http://www.emissieregistratie.nl/ERPUBL ... 0wires.pdf

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2019 Post by Wayno » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:07 am

monotonehell wrote:I would like to know now. I've Googled till my fingers hurt. Many articles about them. None of them mention composition.
I'm a Sparky by trade. I believe you can find wire specs via ASTM or similar :-) probably more of a focus on 'strength' and 'sustainability' rather than conductability.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Milkomeda
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#2020 Post by Milkomeda » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:45 am

Belair Line reopening date to be announced next week

mooshie
High Rise Poster!

#2021 Post by mooshie » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:21 pm

So it's copper for the overhead lines assuming we do the same as Switzerland and going by the link. What I find amazing is those wear numbers though! Can't believe that much copper wears off the lines every year.

rubberman

#2022 Post by rubberman » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:32 pm

If you want to buy some overhead, then you can use the following standards...DIN 43141,ASTM B-47,ASTM B-116,ASTM B-9

Copper alloy mostly.

Shahkar
High Rise Poster!

#2023 Post by Shahkar » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:54 pm

Isn't this great?
New Seaford rail bridge needing repairs on extension joints

THE Seaford rail bridge, which is part of a $291 million Noarlunga line extension, already needs repairs before train services can begin.

It's feared the repair work will delay the opening of the 5.2km Seaford rails extension, due to be completed early next year, after the discovery of problems with its expansion joints.

The State Government said there was a "manufacturing issue'' with the joints on the 1.2km long bridge, which spans the Onkaparinga River Valley.

When quizzed about the problem at budget estimates hearings in Parliament this afternoon Transport Minister Tom Koutsantonis revealed the "issue'' with the joints.

"Before services even commence, obviously, the bridge goes through a commissioning stage and that commissioning stage has found some things to be remedied,'' he said in answer to questions by Opposition transport spokeswoman Vickie Chapman.

"As part of the contract the contractor is completing them and remedying the problems and delivering it to the Government in an acceptable state.''

In responding to Ms Chapman's questions the minister admitted "this is the first I have heard of any deficiency''.

Ms Chapman said there had already been a delay in the original beginning of services "which the Government previously promised would happen in 2013''.

"This latest development raises concerns about electric rail services commencing by the beginning of next year," Ms Chapman said.

ChillyPhilly

#2024 Post by ChillyPhilly » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:43 pm

One positive you can draw from that: Noarlunga passengers will be rewarded for their patience with the upgrade by being able to walk onto a brand new, sparkling electric train, and not have to be faced with an old 3000 or 3100 class diesel.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Nathan

#2025 Post by Nathan » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:51 pm

Surely minor issues are expected, and it sounds like the contractor is fixing them. Molehill > Mountain.