News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: News & Discussion: Trains

#2791 Post by monotonehell » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:41 am

rubberman wrote:True, we are using more per capita, but because of immigration, there are more capitas. 8)
<pedant voice> I must point out that "capita" is already plural, being Latin for "heads" (singular nominative: "capult"). I would also accept "capults". </pedant voice>

:banana:
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

arki
High Rise Poster!

#2792 Post by arki » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:05 am

rhino wrote:
claybro wrote:
Queensland's debt, in the 2013-14 fiscal year, was equal to 24.54 times it's Gross State Product ( http://theconversation.com/the-true-sta ... debt-36345 ) - not a position I'd want us to be in either.
That is a ratio of debt to GSP (ie debit is equal to 24% of GSP, not 24 times GSP!).

And such a ratio is extremely low by world standards, lower even than Australia's public debt. Public infrastructure in SA and Adelaide is terrible by any standard so if the government can come up with viable projects which boost our productivity as a state then there is nothing wrong with borrowing to build.

rubberman
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2793 Post by rubberman » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:08 pm

monotonehell wrote:
rubberman wrote:True, we are using more per capita, but because of immigration, there are more capitas. 8)
<pedant voice> I must point out that "capita" is already plural, being Latin for "heads" (singular nominative: "capult"). I would also accept "capults". </pedant voice>

Er, WRONG. :x

The latin word is "caput" in the nominative. If yer gunna be a pedant...get it right!

You did notice my 8) in the original, didn't you. And no, caputs isn't an acceptable alternative. The use of the s plural is allowable for second declension neuter nouns, but not for third declension nouns.

Glad we cleared that up. :mrgreen:

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2794 Post by monotonehell » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:02 pm

rubberman wrote:
monotonehell wrote:

Er, WRONG. :x

The latin word is "caput" in the nominative. If yer gunna be a pedant...get it right!

You did notice my 8) in the original, didn't you. And no, caputs isn't an acceptable alternative. The use of the s plural is allowable for second declension neuter nouns, but not for third declension nouns.

Glad we cleared that up. :mrgreen:
Absolutely! Thank you for your correction. I slipped an L in there by mistake. No excuses.

But seriously, in English "caputs" is acceptable (as a loan word).

And yes I saw your 8) I'm just being annoying hence my :banana:
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#2795 Post by Vee » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:32 pm

Melbourne's trial of 24 hour public transport on weekends has raised a concern with residents who live near tracks, rail crossings.

Trains need to use their horns for safety reasons. Residents are complaining about impact on sleep, and some want "quiet zones" introduced.

Solution?

ABCNews:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-01-07/g ... ne/7073022

ChillyPhilly

#2796 Post by ChillyPhilly » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:44 am

Vee wrote:Melbourne's trial of 24 hour public transport on weekends has raised a concern with residents who live near tracks, rail crossings.

Trains need to use their horns for safety reasons. Residents are complaining about impact on sleep, and some want "quiet zones" introduced.

Solution?

ABCNews:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-01-07/g ... ne/7073022
Experiment with changing the pitch during those hours. A lower pitch would be less likely to wake people, especially women, whose ears are biologically trained to wake up to higher pitched noises.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

#2797 Post by OlympusAnt » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:53 pm

Meanwhile in Adelaide we still have a single track Belair line which operates at an hourly frequency on weekends :applause: :applause:
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2798 Post by Norman » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:56 pm

OlympusAnt wrote:Meanwhile in Adelaide we still have a single track Belair line which operates at an hourly frequency on weekends :applause: :applause:
Unfortunately the residential areas around the Belair like are just not dense enough to want a frequent service. They could extend extra trains to Mitcham, but after that the car just becomes just too convenient for his residents to bother with the slow train.

PeFe

#2799 Post by PeFe » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:10 pm

From The Adelaide Metro Site
UPDATE: Seaford line will re-open from first service Thursday 21 January in time for the Adelaide Strikers semi-final with works finishing ahead of schedule.

claybro

#2800 Post by claybro » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:12 pm

Norman wrote:Unfortunately the residential areas around the Belair like are just not dense enough to want a frequent service
And yet we run full size Transadelaide buses with relative frequency up and down Belair road which is narrow, windy, wet sometimes foggy and not much better than a goat track! Feeding buses from hills areas into Blackwood station and ramping up train services would both attract commuters to the train to warrant further services, more services would attract some non PT users off Belair road and onto the train, and some buses could be removed from Belair and Unley roads freeing up the roads for better local use. PT organisers in Adelaide are very lazy when it comes to integrating bus and rail services even when there is clear provision to do so.

Patrick_27

#2801 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:40 pm

claybro wrote:
Norman wrote:Unfortunately the residential areas around the Belair like are just not dense enough to want a frequent service
And yet we run full size Transadelaide buses with relative frequency up and down Belair road which is narrow, windy, wet sometimes foggy and not much better than a goat track! Feeding buses from hills areas into Blackwood station and ramping up train services would both attract commuters to the train to warrant further services, more services would attract some non PT users off Belair road and onto the train, and some buses could be removed from Belair and Unley roads freeing up the roads for better local use. PT organisers in Adelaide are very lazy when it comes to integrating bus and rail services even when there is clear provision to do so.
I agree, I don't like the compare Adelaide with Melbourne BUT they do this; their bus network feeds commuters of the outer suburbs to their train network which has warranted the extension and reinstallation of train lines.

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

#2802 Post by OlympusAnt » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:05 pm

claybro wrote:
Sadly its a bit hard to do with single track running. The signalling is a mess and you never reach line speed these days.

Only duplication will solve these issues. Maybe if the colonies could have agreed on a rail gauge back in the 1880's this wouldn't have been an issue today :2cents: :2cents:
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

claybro

#2803 Post by claybro » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:01 pm

Given the frequency and that they only run only 1 or 2 car sets, the capacity of even the single line is well underutilised. Longer trains with increased frequency would suffice until duplication of the Adelaide Metro line could be achieved. I just don't think Adelaide has its head around what even the existing lines can do for improving PT use and extra road capacity by removing buses and cars from the road. Even the upgrade of the Seaford line has still left it very inefficient and slow running-too many stops, with trains that achieve no where near the speeds they are designed for.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#2804 Post by how good is he » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:49 pm

I noticed that the new SA Motorsport Park they are building at Tailem bend has a train line go right near it. It is Adel-Melb. train and would need a station built but just wondering if they ever wanted to run services one day (ie a V8 supercar race weekend told will happen), is Keswick the only point it could leave from?
Is there any stops or potential stations before in this line? And is this line regulated or could a metro train service ever be able to connect and use it?

Waewick

#2805 Post by Waewick » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:36 pm

took the train to Noarlunga for the first time today.

train was great, the station was a dive.