News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Goodsy
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: Trains

#2731 Post by Goodsy » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:18 pm

rubberman wrote:Build infrastructure and go broke like WA.
So do they give the infrastructure back or does the construction company get to dig it all back up? what's the go

skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2732 Post by skyliner » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:25 pm

i agree with Waewick - we have more than 50 years to do something re the electrification - seems too much dithering around. In the 1970's attempt to electrify we had the copper cables laying in the yard at Islington. I still have the document outlining electrification then. Used it in teaching also.

The railways are IMHO extremely impt in the metro area but have been wiped continually by increasing inefficiency, closures, old stock etc and hence relevance. Just trace this from the 1920's.

As Crawf says, it's a disgrace.

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

MessiahAndrw
High Rise Poster!

#2733 Post by MessiahAndrw » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:58 am

rhino wrote:Personally, I'd rather not see changes to the GST, as any increase hits unfairly when taken as a percentage of income - the less you earn, the higher percentage of your earnings you pay in tax. Interestingly, the Government's own modelling has shown that a Carbon Tax will raise just as much revenue as a 5% GST hike, but cost the average household $24/week less ($11/week vs $35/week)
How does this maths work?

One would assume:

tax raised / number of households = average tax collected per household

If both the Carbon Tax and the GST hike will raise the same amount of revenue, and in both scenarios Australia will have the same number of households - how will the "average household" pay less?
My blog on urban design: http://www.andrewalexanderprice.com/blog.php

rhino

#2734 Post by rhino » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:26 am

I guess that maybe not all of the Carbon Tax would be passed on to households?
cheers,
Rhino

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2735 Post by monotonehell » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:39 am

MessiahAndrw wrote:
rhino wrote:Personally, I'd rather not see changes to the GST, as any increase hits unfairly when taken as a percentage of income - the less you earn, the higher percentage of your earnings you pay in tax. Interestingly, the Government's own modelling has shown that a Carbon Tax will raise just as much revenue as a 5% GST hike, but cost the average household $24/week less ($11/week vs $35/week)
How does this maths work?

One would assume:

tax raised / number of households = average tax collected per household

If both the Carbon Tax and the GST hike will raise the same amount of revenue, and in both scenarios Australia will have the same number of households - how will the "average household" pay less?
Pocket calculator fact check
In 2013; GST raised apx $12b5, and Carbon Tax raised around $6b6.

Not considering real world effects causing reduced spending due to higher prices:
12.5 represents 10% tax on 125. 15% of 125 is 18.75.
18.75 less 12.5 is 6.25.

$6b25 is "close" to $6b6. So the carbon Tax would raise more than the extra 5% GST, whilst impacting low income earners more than high. Remembering that the Carbon tax was levied on businesses and tax breaks were given to households.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

#2736 Post by SouthAussie94 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:36 pm

Govt "furious" at forced shutdown of Seaford rail line

Commuters on the Seaford line face disruptions for most of January with the State Government forced to replace kilometres of faulty overhead electrical cable.
http://indaily.com.au/news/2015/12/10/g ... rail-line/
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#2737 Post by Goodsy » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:29 pm

SouthAussie94 wrote:

Commuters on the Seaford line face disruptions for most of January with the State Government forced to replace kilometres of faulty overhead electrical cable.
Can't they do the work at night and run the diesel trains back on the line?

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#2738 Post by rev » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:47 pm

GoodSmackUp wrote:
SouthAussie94 wrote:

I don't think it works the way resurfacing a road does.

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

#2739 Post by SouthAussie94 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:12 pm

GoodSmackUp wrote:
SouthAussie94 wrote:

I suspect that with the retirement of the 2000 class diesels earlier this year that there aren't enough diesels to run a complete timetables on all lines, hence the need to shut the line..
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

metro
Legendary Member!

#2740 Post by metro » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:21 pm

The whole electrification project has been a huge fiasco, not only did we get a half-arsed job for the Seaford line where a "quality assured" supplier screwed up the copper wiring, but the govt has also left the Gawler line in limbo until 2020.. :roll:

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

#2741 Post by OlympusAnt » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:22 pm

Belair line closing, its a perfect opportunity to upgrade that Meccano Set that is Torrens Park :idea: :idea:

There's been opportunity for over a decade to rebuild the station, but no, Millswood was more important :applause: :applause:
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

Patrick_27

#2742 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:50 pm

OlympusAnt wrote:Belair line closing, its a perfect opportunity to upgrade that Meccano Set that is Torrens Park :idea: :idea:

There's been opportunity for over a decade to rebuild the station, but no, Millswood was more important :applause: :applause:
They're more likely to close it due to it's proximity to Mitcham and the fact that it's overall weekly usage of the station isn't great.

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

#2743 Post by OlympusAnt » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:05 am

If they don't upgrade it, then shut it down.

Mind you, the whinging from the Scotch College people and "local residents" will be through the roof
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

Patrick_27

#2744 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:23 pm

OlympusAnt wrote:If they don't upgrade it, then shut it down.

Mind you, the whinging from the Scotch College people and "local residents" will be through the roof
Well, let Scotch upgrade and maintain it then. I can't understand how both Millswood and Hawthorn stations were closed along that chunk of the Belair line yet Torrens Park station has stayed open after all these years.

skyliner

#2745 Post by skyliner » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:42 pm

So is the Belair line closing? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Out of touch here but would not be surprised - thematic with killing off the whole metro system as is the Seaview line fiasco. If brisbane can have an electrified system in 1988 when it was of similar size to Adelaide, it begs the question here. (info from Australian year books re city size).

ADELAIDE _ TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.