News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
mattwinter
High Rise Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

#3961 Post by mattwinter » Fri May 03, 2019 11:23 am

how good is he wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 11:52 am
Great find. If they extended the line/path towards University Drive they could create a bus hub/connection there. Also there was a free shuttle that used to go around Flinders Uni, Medical centre, Sturt campus etc.. not sure if it still does but it would be ideal to connect there.
If they end up building something like this, then there's an extra street or two going through where a shuttle bus can easily connect, i.e. at the little '25' or something?

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#3962 Post by how good is he » Fri May 03, 2019 11:58 am

I think the line/connection would be elevated above the road at 25 and further for a major bus hub they would want to go to University Drive [or South Road].

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#3963 Post by [Shuz] » Fri May 03, 2019 12:21 pm

They really should make a reservation beyond the line terminus to future proof any rail extension. Any development in the way will just stuff things up.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

NTRabbit
High Rise Poster!

Re: Oaklands Crossing | $174m

#3964 Post by NTRabbit » Thu May 09, 2019 7:00 pm

claybro wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 10:54 am
Could not agree more. Radical consolidation of stations, in better locations would enable many more of these modern stations and actually attract many new riders, instead of pandering to a handful of people at each little suburban stop now.
I will never not wonder why both Emerson and Clarence Park need to exist, or even worse Marino and Marino Rocks.

Does Warradale really need to be there anymore either, now that Oaklands is so big and well appointed, and right around the corner?

ml69
Legendary Member!

#3965 Post by ml69 » Thu May 09, 2019 7:25 pm

NTRabbit wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 7:00 pm
claybro wrote:
Could not agree more. Radical consolidation of stations, in better locations would enable many more of these modern stations and actually attract many new riders, instead of pandering to a handful of people at each little suburban stop now.
I will never not wonder why both Emerson and Clarence Park need to exist, or even worse Marino and Marino Rocks. I’d keep Emerson however ... its proximity to Cross Rd makes it quite accessible.

Does Warradale really need to be there anymore either, now that Oaklands is so big and well appointed, and right around the corner?
Clarence Park, Warradale and Marino Rocks should go. Other better-located stations exist are 700m or less away.

I would also relocate Brighton station 400m north so it is immediately adjacent to Jetty Rd. Better passive surveillance, and provides direct rail access to Brighton beach. If that is done, Hove station would become redundant too.
Last edited by ml69 on Thu May 09, 2019 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3966 Post by Norman » Thu May 09, 2019 7:28 pm

NTRabbit wrote:
claybro wrote:
I will never not wonder why both Emerson and Clarence Park need to exist, or even worse Marino and Marino Rocks.

Emerson and Clarence Park serve their respective communities. I agree that Emerson and Edwardstown can be merged, and Warradale can be closed now that Oaklands is more accessible from the west of the station.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#3967 Post by ml69 » Thu May 09, 2019 7:35 pm

Norman wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 7:28 pm
NTRabbit wrote:
claybro wrote:

Emerson and Clarence Park serve their respective communities. I agree that Emerson and Edwardstown can be merged, and Warradale can be closed now that Oaklands is more accessible from the west of the station.
Clarence Park is in the middle of the best served area for public transport in the Adelaide metropolitan area. Another train line AND a tram line are literally within a 5 min walk from Clarence Park station. It would be no major loss if this station was shut down.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#3968 Post by Eurostar » Thu May 09, 2019 9:08 pm

Nathan wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 9:41 am
Unfortunately there are a couple of taggers (I won't give them any exposure by mentioning their tags) at the moment who are making it their mission to tag every single bit of public infrastructure (down to something as small as a planter box) from Bowden all the way through to the riverbank precinct. Given the extent of what they've been doing, I would have hoped the cops could have snagged them by now.

Would be real nice to have some proper cover over Bowden station like has been installed at Oaklands. Even if it was just a short section extending from either side of the pedestrian overpass.
Electrify the Outer Harbor Line and sell the land above the station, a undercover pedestrian walkway connecting with Plant 4 and Adelaide Entertainment Centre

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

#3969 Post by OlympusAnt » Fri May 10, 2019 7:16 pm

Lonsdale should be a request stop
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#3970 Post by claybro » Sat May 11, 2019 9:29 am

OlympusAnt wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 7:16 pm
Lonsdale should be a request stop
Not sure I get the idea of request stops on a commuter line. Commuter train systems are designed to move large amounts of people at high speed and high frequency. If we introduce request stops, it slows the potential of the whole system by having to allow for a "possible" stop, when often none is needed. Lonsdale, like other small stations either have enough use most of the time or it doesn't. So... either make it a focal station by running local buses to it, or, if not suitable due to location, or sparse landuse nearby, reconfigure the commercial area to create a hub. If none of this is viable.. close it.

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#3971 Post by AndyWelsh » Sun May 12, 2019 5:01 pm

IMO the Seaford Line system of express, semi-express and all stop services works pretty well in balancing everyones needs and would be even better with a bit of refinement.

Most of these smaller stations still have significant numbers using them through the peak period (I’ve checked their patronage data) and closure could run the risk of losing their patronage completely. It would be incredibly unpopular in those communities too. Regardless of if they use their station at present, or every day, people spent a load of money to buy a house near a station and will fight hard to keep that.

It may also make bigger stations like the new Oaklands less attractive as existing users battle with even more people in their cars to get through traffic and then get parked.

My experience of trying to park at Brighton has certainly been worse since they got some more express services and I know some people who live there who hate the increase in commuters either parking in, or driving through their residential streets to use that station. These people would want a say if they’re going to be living next to a super station with say a new multi-storey car park and an increase in buses on their streets ferrying in passengers.

BTW How did the Oaklands Crossing thread turn into which stations we fancy keeping and closing :) ?

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#3972 Post by Eurostar » Sun May 12, 2019 9:47 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 12:21 pm
They really should make a reservation beyond the line terminus to future proof any rail extension. Any development in the way will just stuff things up.
No it should not go any further. Flagstaff Road copes with traffic fine.

NTRabbit
High Rise Poster!

#3973 Post by NTRabbit » Sun May 12, 2019 10:01 pm

Surely though, at a distance of 450m from platform end to platform end, we can agree that Marino and Marino Rocks should be knocked over and dragged together into one new station at the halfway point.

TorrensSA
High Rise Poster!

#3974 Post by TorrensSA » Sun May 12, 2019 10:34 pm

The Marinos are very close 600m according to Wiki, weirdly wiki says Mawson Lakes and Greenfields are 1.2km apart and Greenfields and Parafield Gardens is 1.1km, Mawson and Greenfields are clearly much closer then Greenfields and Parafield Gardens, how far apart are they (ML and GF)? less than the Marinos?

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#3975 Post by AndyWelsh » Sun May 12, 2019 11:11 pm

I don’t agree that we can increase patronage by closing any stations, as the peak services we already have are heavily weighted in favour of express or semi-express services that miss these smaller stations any way.

Seaford to Adelaide takes 50 mins stopping at every current station. The current timetable shows you can cut this by 11 mins by not stopping at 16 stations. But who wants the political pressure and protests that the “radical consolidation” mentioned earlier would create?

I’d be looking to speed up planning changes to get higher density within 600m of stations.

I’d like DPTI to promote what is on offer at many stations, so people don’t just see them as something to commute between and that’s all eg people should be encouraged to get off at the new Oaklands station to visit Westfield, or use their train pass to visit Marino - Hallett Cove Boardwalk, or Brighton beach at the weekend.

I’d encourage more social media advertising of the Adelaide Metro as a product through targeted geo ads to people who live within walking distance of train stations. Many people don’t know about the extra evening services announced last year, the new Oaklands station or $99 unlimited travel passes. They should!

Promoting, growing and improving what we have is harder than just simply saving some quick cash by cutting buses, train carriages, stations etc but would be more beneficial in the long run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk