[COM] M2 Northern Connector | 15.5km | $867m

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: PRO: Northern Connector | 14km | $1b

#511 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:33 am

Love that video and how comprehensive the project will be in terms of employing and granting opportunity to different groups. Great to hear. :applause:
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#512 Post by Goodsy » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:22 am

the staging camp or whatever it is called is nearing completion on PWR, a lot of temporary offices already in place

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#513 Post by muzzamo » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:17 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:Love that video and how comprehensive the project will be in terms of employing and granting opportunity to different groups. Great to hear. :applause:
I think the opposite. It looks like a project that is littered with "distractions" which is the exact reason that governments outsource things in the first place.

Lets say there are 2 people who apply for a job, only one of whom is competent and the other is not competent but is Aboriginal/from the northern suburbs. This leads to 100k+ of waste, and if this person is put in an important role such as project manager, the result could be far worse.'

Likewise, lets say 2 subcontractors tend for the shared path, one comes in at $10M and the other comes in at $15M but is Aborginal owned, which one do you think will get chosen.

thecityguy
High Rise Poster!

#514 Post by thecityguy » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:43 pm

Agreed, would like to see important projects like this focus on delivery time, cost and quality over trying to look good by employing certain groups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

urban
Legendary Member!

#515 Post by urban » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:48 pm

muzzamo wrote:Lets say there are 2 people who apply for a job, only one of whom is competent and the other is not competent but is Aboriginal/from the northern suburbs. This leads to 100k+ of waste, and if this person is put in an important role such as project manager, the result could be far worse.'
Conversely, if an Indigenous person and a non-Indigenous person with the same qualifications, skills and experience apply for the same job without any hiring requirements, the non-Indigenous person will get the job every time.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#516 Post by rev » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:53 pm

urban wrote:
muzzamo wrote:Lets say there are 2 people who apply for a job, only one of whom is competent and the other is not competent but is Aboriginal/from the northern suburbs. This leads to 100k+ of waste, and if this person is put in an important role such as project manager, the result could be far worse.'
Conversely, if an Indigenous person and a non-Indigenous person with the same qualifications, skills and experience apply for the same job without any hiring requirements, the non-Indigenous person will get the job every time.
Who cares, this is about the northern connector not the job opportunities of Aboriginal people.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#517 Post by rev » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:57 pm

http://northhub.sa.gov.au/home.html

Anyone looking for work on the project..

Darsfreer
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#518 Post by Darsfreer » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:36 am

As of last night (Sunday14th Aug). The new Kings/ Bolivar /Pt Wakefield Rd intersection near the BP is in use..

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#519 Post by Goodsy » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:05 pm

Darsfreer wrote:As of last night (Sunday14th Aug). The new Kings/ Bolivar /Pt Wakefield Rd intersection near the BP is in use..
saw it this morning, still a lot of landscaping to be done but it's open

Darsfreer
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#520 Post by Darsfreer » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:20 pm

GoodSmackUp wrote:
Darsfreer wrote:As of last night (Sunday14th Aug). The new Kings/ Bolivar /Pt Wakefield Rd intersection near the BP is in use..
saw it this morning, still a lot of landscaping to be done but it's open
And a lot more bitumen / kerbing etc to be done. Almost need a 4wd to drive on itImage

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#521 Post by Goodsy » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:33 pm

I hope they're planning better signage for the bolivar/kings road realignment. It's layout doesn't really lend itself to Adelaide's brand of laid back drivers

Having idiots cut infront of you to turn south onto PWR because they're in the wrong lane to begin with isn't fun. See the picture, where I'm the Red line

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#522 Post by neoballmon » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:26 pm

I'd assume once the Northern Connector opens, the majority of southbound traffc from Bolivar Road will instead head further west along (the new) Bolivar Road, thus using both current right-turn lanes to head straight, with a new lane to turn right.

I noticed the works stopped just before reaching the main intersection so there are probably plans to re-configure this in the next couple of years. Adequate signage may follow after this.

Otherwise, I think the roundabout will be quite functional and I'm pleased to see dual lanes.
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#523 Post by SBD » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:50 pm

neoballmon wrote: I noticed the works stopped just before reaching the main intersection so there are probably plans to re-configure this in the next couple of years. Adequate signage may follow after this.
The way I see the Road Alignment Plan for the Northern Connector, the final intersection with PWR will be slightly further south than the "old" Tee junction. The current works probably do just enough to link in to the old junction for the time being, and will be finished off on the new alignment when it gets replaced by the four-way junction with the on/off ramps. I think that the diagram shows there to be two lanes off the roundabout, then a sheltered right-turn bay to the service station, followed by two new lanes for turning right onto PWR, two continuing lanes to (southbound) NC, then a left-turn slip lane to southbound PWR. It's hard to tell exactly what will be built from one drawing on a photomap though, so there could be other interpretations.

mawsonguy
High Rise Poster!

#524 Post by mawsonguy » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:59 pm

The first earthworks of the northern connector was a test site to measure settlement. I eventually found it on Google Maps near the exit of Dry Creek into the mangroves. See the area circled in red on the image below.

mawsonguy
High Rise Poster!

#525 Post by mawsonguy » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:03 pm

The following timeline for the project suggests the possibility of the section between the Northern Expressway and the Waterloo Cnr interchange (and possibly even the Bolivar intercahnge) being ready before the rest of the project is finished. Maybe it will be opened in stages?