[COM] M2 Northern Connector | 15.5km | $867m

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Re: Northern Connector | 14km | $1b

#556 Post by Norman » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:13 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
rev wrote:Not sure if anyone's posted this already but at the northern end of the superway, where the NC will run, work is well underway.
I've been trying to figure out what exactly they're doing with the PRExy median. In two spots, it's been removed and replaced with bitumen. A future u-turn spot for when they demolish the existing interchange, perhaps? This makes sense with the westernmost clearing, between South Road and Hanson Road, but the eastern median clearing doesn't fit this theory.
Probably to facilitate lanes being closed on either side, with traffic diverted to the other lane during works by single lane running. The bitumen provides a crossover point.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#557 Post by Brucetiki » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:17 am

Someone forgot to reset the variable speed limit signs on Salisbury Highway this morning - mind you 40km/h is about the going rate on Salisbury Highway at that time of the morning anyway.

I also note there are ALOT of people that ignore the variable speed limit signs. The amount of cars that have whizzed past me at 90 when the speed is changed to 60 is staggering - the police would have a field day if they set a camera up through the works!

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#558 Post by Norman » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:30 am

And don't get me started on those ignoring the ramp meeting on the Western Ring Road and Monash Freeway!

bits
Legendary Member!

#559 Post by bits » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:13 pm

Brucetiki wrote:Someone forgot to reset the variable speed limit signs on Salisbury Highway this morning - mind you 40km/h is about the going rate on Salisbury Highway at that time of the morning anyway.
Where on Salisbury Highway is there variable speed signs?
I thought it was just fixed 60/70/90 for different sections.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#560 Post by Norman » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:27 pm

There are variable speed signs at the intersection with the North South Motorway (South Road).

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#561 Post by Kasey771 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:38 pm

Norman wrote:
ChillyPhilly wrote:
rev wrote:Not sure if anyone's posted this already but at the northern end of the superway, where the NC will run, work is well underway.
I've been trying to figure out what exactly they're doing with the PRExy median. In two spots, it's been removed and replaced with bitumen. A future u-turn spot for when they demolish the existing interchange, perhaps? This makes sense with the westernmost clearing, between South Road and Hanson Road, but the eastern median clearing doesn't fit this theory.
Probably to facilitate lanes being closed on either side, with traffic diverted to the other lane during works by single lane running. The bitumen provides a crossover point.
That's what I reckon. this way they can connect the first part of the Northern connector to the Northern(Eastbound>> Salisbury) carriageway whilst still allowing traffic to go in both directions on the PREXY
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#562 Post by ChillyPhilly » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:25 am

Kasey771 wrote:That's what I reckon. this way they can connect the first part of the Northern connector to the Northern(Eastbound>> Salisbury) carriageway whilst still allowing traffic to go in both directions on the PREXY
And so it was indeed lane switching that began tonight, with PRExy eastbound being changed to the southern carriage for one lane in each direction. There is also now a string of concrete barriers along the edge of eastbound PREXy lanes. Work stepping up.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

ChillyPhilly

#563 Post by ChillyPhilly » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:21 pm

DPTI have uploaded a brief video to YouTube showing drone (or helicopter!) footage of the early southern interchange works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5eBJxHd8yQ

It occupies a larger area than we can appreciate from ground level, even when viewed from the existing interchange there.

For a laugh I Shazam'd the track and it's 'Mock Up' by Nicky Jam (apparently).

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#564 Post by rev » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:36 pm

That dump along with the recycling centers need to be moved out of the metro area.
If for no other reason then it all being a major eyesore, then because of the spate of fires that keep happening at those locations that release toxic plumes of smoke over the northern/north west suburbs.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#565 Post by monotonehell » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:23 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:...showing drone (or helicopter!) footage of the early southern interchange works...
Nice :cheers:
Defo a drone.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

ChillyPhilly

#566 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:38 pm

Based on recent works, it looks like PRExy will be widened to three lanes between Hanson Road and east of the Motorway. Sorely needed, especially in peak hour.

ChillyPhilly

#567 Post by ChillyPhilly » Fri May 05, 2017 12:09 am

Small update: vast majority of foliage between the northern dump and the northern carriageway of PRExy cleared. Land cleared too, and work begun on a new eastbound lane. Work site continues to be increasingly defined.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#568 Post by Norman » Fri May 05, 2017 7:57 am

ChillyPhilly wrote:Small update: vast majority of foliage between the northern dump and the northern carriageway of PRExy cleared. Land cleared too, and work begun on a new eastbound lane. Work site continues to be increasingly defined.
I believe the new east-bound lane will be one of the slip lanes leading onto the Northern Connector, just like the west-bound lanes onto the Superway.

ChillyPhilly

#569 Post by ChillyPhilly » Fri May 05, 2017 1:01 pm

Norman wrote:
ChillyPhilly wrote:Small update: vast majority of foliage between the northern dump and the northern carriageway of PRExy cleared. Land cleared too, and work begun on a new eastbound lane. Work site continues to be increasingly defined.
I believe the new east-bound lane will be one of the slip lanes leading onto the Northern Connector, just like the west-bound lanes onto the Superway.
That's what I'm thinking too. I think there's still a chance we will see PRExy widened from around here though, especially with the Motorway to PRExy ramp to be demolished and not reinstated.

SBD

#570 Post by SBD » Fri May 05, 2017 4:20 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Norman wrote:
That's what I'm thinking too. I think there's still a chance we will see PRExy widened from around here though, especially with the Motorway to PRExy ramp to be demolished and not reinstated.
Won't it be effectively widened by moving a lot of the traffic onto the Northern Connector instead of Salisbury Highway Extension? I doubt there will be much traffic that uses Salisbury Highway left onto PWR once the Northern Connector is in place. Commuters and transport alike will use the NC instead. There will be off ramps at Bolivar Road and Waterloo Corner Road as well as leading in to both PWR and NExpy.

I think the project plan shows the eastbound carriageway being moved a little further north in the area of the current loop, to make space for the south->west ramp to join in the centre of the road.