[COM] M2 Northern Connector | 15.5km | $867m

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: Northern Connector | 14km | $1b

#841 Post by rhino » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:39 pm

Personally, I would call it the Charles Sturt Freeway from Nuriootpa to the River Torrens, which would tie in to the Sturt Highway, and the City of Charles Sturt, in which Sturt's home (The Grange) sits.

From the River Torrens to Old Noarlunga I would call it the George Kingston Freeway, after the man who designed the City of Adelaide, discovered the River Torrens, and chose the site of the City. He also owned land in what is now Kingston Park, not far from the site of the freeway.
cheers,
Rhino

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#842 Post by crawf » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:55 pm

rhino wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:39 pm
Personally, I would call it the Charles Sturt Freeway from Nuriootpa to the River Torrens, which would tie in to the Sturt Highway, and the City of Charles Sturt, in which Sturt's home (The Grange) sits.

From the River Torrens to Old Noarlunga I would call it the George Kingston Freeway, after the man who designed the City of Adelaide, discovered the River Torrens, and chose the site of the City. He also owned land in what is now Kingston Park, not far from the site of the freeway.
I've always liked the name "Charles Sturt Freeway"

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#843 Post by rev » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:51 am

Howard Florey - born in Adelaide. Helped develop penicillin, and was along with another man the one who actually developed it into a usable drug. Won a Nobel prize for it.
Lionel Rose - First Indigenous Australian to win a world title (he flew to Japan and defeated the Japanese world champ), and was the first Indigenous Aussie to be named Australian of the year.
Rev. John Flynn - his efforts lead to what we now know as the Royal Flying Doctor Service.
Colonel Sir Ernest Edward "Weary" Dunlop
Sir Mark Oliphant (born in Adelaide)
Sir Douglas Mawson
Fred Hollows

ChillyPhilly

#844 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:34 pm

I always imagine the name 'Kaurna Expressway'.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Westside
High Rise Poster!

#845 Post by Westside » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:38 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:34 pm
I always imagine the name 'Kaurna Expressway'.
I suspect the Kaurna people don't

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#846 Post by Spotto » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:28 pm

rev wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:51 am
Howard Florey - born in Adelaide. Helped develop penicillin, and was along with another man the one who actually developed it into a usable drug. Won a Nobel prize for it.
Lionel Rose - First Indigenous Australian to win a world title (he flew to Japan and defeated the Japanese world champ), and was the first Indigenous Aussie to be named Australian of the year.
Rev. John Flynn - his efforts lead to what we now know as the Royal Flying Doctor Service.
Sir Douglas Mawson
Fred Hollows
We should preferably keep it as Adelaide and SA prominent figures, little point naming it after someone from interstate who had little to do with SA. Cutting it down to just their surname would make the road name easier to remember as well.

But I agree that it should be named something, "North-South Motorway" is practical, but very bland. Let's break the cycle of naming our motor/express/freeways after cardinal directions!

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#847 Post by rev » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:10 pm

Spotto wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:28 pm
rev wrote:
Sir Douglas Mawson
Fred Hollows
We should preferably keep it as Adelaide and SA prominent figures, little point naming it after someone from interstate who had little to do with SA. Cutting it down to just their surname would make the road name easier to remember as well.

But I agree that it should be named something, "North-South Motorway" is practical, but very bland. Let's break the cycle of naming our motor/express/freeways after cardinal directions!
Those non-South Australian connected people though are significant Australians.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#848 Post by Spotto » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:39 pm

rev wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:10 pm
Spotto wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:28 pm
rev wrote:
Sir Douglas Mawson
Fred Hollows

Those non-South Australian connected people though are significant Australians.
No insult to those people or their accomplishments. But there's nothing wrong with using nationally-recognised figures that are also native to SA since it'll be Adelaide's primary arterial thoroughfare. The other capitals have used similar nationally-recognised, state natives:
  • Monash Freeway (Melbourne primary southeast bound) - Sir John Monash, nationally recognised WWI commander but born/lived in Victoria
  • Mitchell Freeway (Perth primary northbound) - Sir James Mitchell, WA Premier and Governor
  • Graham Farmer Freeway (Perth eastbound freeway tunnel under CBD) - Graham Farmer, WAFL and VFL/AFL player, AFL Hall of Fame but born/lived in WA
  • Cahill Expressway (Circular Quay to Harbor Bridge connector) - Joseph Cahill, then-sitting NSW Premier

SBD

#849 Post by SBD » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:10 pm

The Northern Expressway was announced as being going to be named Max Fatchen Expressway, but then that ended up as just a brown sign saying "The Fatchen Northern Expressway" and the green ones still say Northern Expressway. Perhaps we could have Gawler to Wingfield named the Max Fatchen Expressway.

Furyan
Gold-Member ;)

#850 Post by Furyan » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:57 am

We could also call it The Marj Motorway.

M1 - South Eastern Freeway - Glen Osmond to Murray Bridge

M2 - North South Motorway - Gawler to Port Noarlunga

Makes sense to me.

All the names suggested would be good for the bridges and overpasses

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#851 Post by Brucetiki » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:34 pm

Gantries have started going up on the southern interchange

Troy87
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#852 Post by Troy87 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:50 am

I found this link on DPTI web site https://dpti.sa.gov.au/sa-traffic#mapo shows some interesting completion dates for some of the construction of the interchange works and also the road mapping of the new interchanges

TrebleSketch
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#853 Post by TrebleSketch » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:05 pm

Troy87 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:50 am
I found this link on DPTI web site https://dpti.sa.gov.au/sa-traffic#mapo shows some interesting completion dates for some of the construction of the interchange works and also the road mapping of the new interchanges
Some of the information on the site you provided can be used and accessed in a mobile app. The Addinsight App.

It is pretty useful and can show when traffic has deviated from the normal conditions and also for roadworks. It doesn't show the interchange works though.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#854 Post by Goodsy » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:58 pm

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#855 Post by muzzamo » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:55 pm

Story on nine news with some new footage

https://www.facebook.com/9NewsAdelaide/ ... 0NjQ0NjIw/