[COM] M2 Northern Connector | 15.5km | $867m

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Goodsy
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: Northern Connector | 14km | $1b

#571 Post by Goodsy » Fri May 05, 2017 5:55 pm

SBD wrote: Won't it be effectively widened by moving a lot of the traffic onto the Northern Connector instead of Salisbury Highway Extension? I doubt there will be much traffic that uses Salisbury Highway left onto PWR once the Northern Connector is in place. Commuters and transport alike will use the NC instead. There will be off ramps at Bolivar Road and Waterloo Corner Road as well as leading in to both PWR and NExpy.

I think the project plan shows the eastbound carriageway being moved a little further north in the area of the current loop, to make space for the south->west ramp to join in the centre of the road.
Salisbury Highway backs up from Elder Smith Dr back over The PWR overpass every rush hour

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#572 Post by rev » Fri May 05, 2017 6:10 pm

GoodSmackUp wrote:
SBD wrote: Won't it be effectively widened by moving a lot of the traffic onto the Northern Connector instead of Salisbury Highway Extension? I doubt there will be much traffic that uses Salisbury Highway left onto PWR once the Northern Connector is in place. Commuters and transport alike will use the NC instead. There will be off ramps at Bolivar Road and Waterloo Corner Road as well as leading in to both PWR and NExpy.

I think the project plan shows the eastbound carriageway being moved a little further north in the area of the current loop, to make space for the south->west ramp to join in the centre of the road.
Salisbury Highway backs up from Elder Smith Dr back over The PWR overpass every rush hour
It backs up all the way to the super way off ramp in the afternoon/evening. At least when I've been unfortunate enough to have to use that as a route

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#573 Post by Goodsy » Fri May 05, 2017 7:36 pm

rev wrote:
GoodSmackUp wrote:

It backs up all the way to the super way off ramp in the afternoon/evening. At least when I've been unfortunate enough to have to use that as a route
Yeah I assumed it went all the way back, I haven't used the PRexy since the superway was under construction, Cormack Rd - Churchill Road North is much faster for me

SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#574 Post by SBD » Sat May 06, 2017 9:13 am

rev wrote:
GoodSmackUp wrote:

I live further north, east of Main North Road (I can see some of the construction with binoculars on a clear day from home). At the moment my route to western Adelaide is either Nexpy, John Rice and Salisbury Highway or Elder Smith Drive. The cross-suburban bit to get to Nexpy usually rules that out for the morning at the moment, but it's often the choice on weekends or evenings. I expect that NC will change the balance for me, and it certainly would for anyone living west of the Gawler railway line.

mawsonguy
High Rise Poster!

#575 Post by mawsonguy » Sat May 06, 2017 4:12 pm

The Northern Connector isn't goingh to make much difference for those living in the area bounded by Montague , Port Wakefield and Kings/McIntyre Roads. If you want to go North on the NC then you have to go all the way to the Waterloo Cnr interchange which is a bit closer than the current entrance at the NExy but will involve slowing for roundabouts. If you want to go south on the NC then, if you're close to Kings\McIntyre Road you can use the Bolivar interchange, otherwise you can't get on unless you backtrack north to the Bolivar interchange. The only advantage you will gain is that it maytake some of the traffic of the Salisbury Highway and Main North Rd.

SBD

#576 Post by SBD » Sat May 06, 2017 5:53 pm

mawsonguy wrote:The Northern Connector isn't goingh to make much difference for those living in the area bounded by Montague , Port Wakefield and Kings/McIntyre Roads. If you want to go North on the NC then you have to go all the way to the Waterloo Cnr interchange which is a bit closer than the current entrance at the NExy but will involve slowing for roundabouts. If you want to go south on the NC then, if you're close to Kings\McIntyre Road you can use the Bolivar interchange, otherwise you can't get on unless you backtrack north to the Bolivar interchange. The only advantage you will gain is that it maytake some of the traffic of the Salisbury Highway and Main North Rd.
The plans I have seen show a north-bound off-ramp at Bolivar Road, so if you intend to come from PRexpy or North-South Motorway, you would use NC to Bolivar, the reverse of the southbound trip.

I agree that it won't be used by people who's journey starts/ends south of about the north end of Parafield Airport/Shepherdson Road. It could still benefit those people, by reducing the other traffic on the roads they need.

DPTI collects traffic count information, but I don't think anybody collects actual journey endpoint info, so it would be mostly guesswork how the traffic will actually change. Pretty much anyone who currently turns left onto PWR and does not turn right on to Martin's Road will likely use NC instead. There is no way of measuring how many of us go over the bridge now, but would choose NC instead if there is an option. NC will have a higher speed limit, which is balanced the fact that it is slightly further than alternate routes, depending on the ultimate endpoint.

ChillyPhilly

#577 Post by ChillyPhilly » Mon May 08, 2017 3:04 pm

It will still be quicker for those east of Salisbury Highway to use it rather than travelling to the NC.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

SBD

#578 Post by SBD » Wed May 10, 2017 1:48 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:It will still be quicker for those east of Salisbury Highway to use it rather than travelling to the NC.
Yes, for the southern end at least. It might turn out to be quicker at certain times of day to use the Bolivar exit than Salisbury Highway to reach the Kings/Salisbury intersection. Further north might be less obvious. For me at the moment, my wife goes down South Road twice a week. Mornings, she uses Main North Road, John Rice Ave (despite Phillip Hwy being shorter) and Salisbury Highway. Afternoons she looks at the travel time signs, but often uses PWR, NExpy and Curtis Road. Curtis Road is a roadblock in the morning due to school traffic until there are more entrances opened into Munno Para/Playford Alive or it is expanded to two lanes each way. The NC might shift the balance far enough that she prefers Curtis Rd in the morning too.

ChillyPhilly

#579 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu May 11, 2017 2:12 pm

From Park Terrace to Port Wakefield Road, it's an eight minute trip in steady flow. Obviously add a couple more to that in peak hour. The reverse journey is far worse; it can take as long as forty minutes to make this trip, owing largely to the intersections with Kings Road and Elder Smith Drive.

The NC will probably carry some induced demand but doubt it would be anything severe.

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

#580 Post by SouthAussie94 » Thu May 11, 2017 10:29 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:From Park Terrace to Port Wakefield Road, it's an eight minute trip in steady flow. Obviously add a couple more to that in peak hour. The reverse journey is far worse; it can take as long as forty minutes to make this trip, owing largely to the intersections with Kings Road and Elder Smith Drive.

The NC will probably carry some induced demand but doubt it would be anything severe.
It may be a stupid question, but which Park Terrace? Salisbury or North Adelaide?
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

ChillyPhilly

#581 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu May 11, 2017 11:41 pm

SouthAussie94 wrote:
ChillyPhilly wrote:From Park Terrace to Port Wakefield Road, it's an eight minute trip in steady flow. Obviously add a couple more to that in peak hour. The reverse journey is far worse; it can take as long as forty minutes to make this trip, owing largely to the intersections with Kings Road and Elder Smith Drive.

It may be a stupid question, but which Park Terrace? Salisbury or North Adelaide?
Salisbury.

mawsonguy
High Rise Poster!

#582 Post by mawsonguy » Wed May 17, 2017 7:26 pm

Some of the problem of traffic east of Salisbury Highway and South of Kings Road accessing the Northern Connector could be alleiviated by two simple (and relatively cheap) works. The first is to build a southbound off ramp to connect with Globe Derby Drive with an associated upgrade of Globe Derby Drive. The second is to build a northbound on ramp at the Bolovar Interchange. Both should be able to be done within the $30million the state government has saved on the project. The Globe Derby works could be designed to be consistent with the longer term plan to contruct an interchange at Globe Derby.

SBD

#583 Post by SBD » Wed May 17, 2017 10:51 pm

mawsonguy wrote:Some of the problem of traffic east of Salisbury Highway and South of Kings Road accessing the Northern Connector could be alleiviated by two simple (and relatively cheap) works. The first is to build a southbound off ramp to connect with Globe Derby Drive with an associated upgrade of Globe Derby Drive. The second is to build a northbound on ramp at the Bolovar Interchange. Both should be able to be done within the $30million the state government has saved on the project. The Globe Derby works could be designed to be consistent with the longer term plan to contruct an interchange at Globe Derby.
Where might I be coming from or going to that I would rather stay on the NC and swing out west to use a Globe Derby off ramp, rather than turn off onto Port Wakefield Road (which will have far less heavy traffic)? If an additional southbound offramp is needed, then either Waterloo Corner or Bolivar would make more sense. I can see why there isn't space to put one at Bolivar, less certain why it is missing at Waterloo Corner. My guess is that it just didn't look cost-efficient to acquire three more properties not far from the existing exit.

Bolivar looks to be constrained by the acquisition cost of the caravan park. That on-ramp only avoids one more set of traffic lights on PWR, which flows reasonably well aready in that area? It will be even better without traffic coming from Salisbury Highway/PRExpy/South Road.

The Northern Expressway enhancements to Port Wakefield Road are going to look like overkill once the Northern Connecter is in place.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#584 Post by Brucetiki » Thu May 18, 2017 9:30 am

SBD wrote: Bolivar looks to be constrained by the acquisition cost of the caravan park. That on-ramp only avoids one more set of traffic lights on PWR, which flows reasonably well aready in that area? It will be even better without traffic coming from Salisbury Highway/PRExpy/South Road.
Have you driven along that stretch of Port Wakefield Rd in peak hour?

SBD

#585 Post by SBD » Thu May 18, 2017 12:32 pm

Brucetiki wrote:
SBD wrote: Bolivar looks to be constrained by the acquisition cost of the caravan park. That on-ramp only avoids one more set of traffic lights on PWR, which flows reasonably well aready in that area? It will be even better without traffic coming from Salisbury Highway/PRExpy/South Road.
Have you driven along that stretch of Port Wakefield Rd in peak hour?
I don't do it regularly, but yes I have, and overall Port Wakefield Road is usually a much smoother run northbound in afternoon peak than Salisbury Highway is. It improves even more past Bolivar Road. Three more lanes each way carrying the through traffic from South Road and PRExpy will mean that almost all the remaining traffic on PWR is either local or came through Gepps Cross and didn't turn off at Salisbury Highway.

I don't use it southbound in morning peak because the time penalty of getting through local school traffic to get to NExpy from where I live exceeds any potential benefit compared to turning on to Main North Road.