[COM] M2 Northern Connector | 15.5km | $867m

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: Northern Connector | 14km | $1b

#541 Post by ChillyPhilly » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:03 pm

Works continue around the Motorway/PRExy interchange. Both east and west of this interchange, a chunk of the median has been removed. More and more land is gradually being cleared to the north.

Here's a refresher:

Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

SBD

#542 Post by SBD » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:53 pm

Is that the current design? It shows the railway in the diagram, and has the south-to-west ramp different than other drawings I have seen that have it entering Salisbury Highway east of the current bridge.

Has anyone seen or heard "the plan" for how the bikeway/shared paths will cross Port Wakefield Road and Salisbury Highway? Are there bridges/underpasses/overpasses or will there just be "watch for bikes/pedestrians signs on the highways?

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#543 Post by Norman » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:08 pm

I suspect there might still be a "detailed design" document to come with final details. Let's hope so anyway.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#544 Post by rev » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:51 pm

SBD wrote:Is that the current design? It shows the railway in the diagram, and has the south-to-west ramp different than other drawings I have seen that have it entering Salisbury Highway east of the current bridge.

Has anyone seen or heard "the plan" for how the bikeway/shared paths will cross Port Wakefield Road and Salisbury Highway? Are there bridges/underpasses/overpasses or will there just be "watch for bikes/pedestrians signs on the highways?
Cyclists and pedestrians aren't allowed to be on freeways & motorways.
Haven't you noticed the signs at the start of such roads that say they are prohibited to be on there?

Splashmo
High Rise Poster!

#545 Post by Splashmo » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:59 pm

rev wrote:Cyclists and pedestrians aren't allowed to be on freeways & motorways.
Haven't you noticed the signs at the start of such roads that say they are prohibited to be on there?
There's a separate path next to the Northern Expressway and there's a new 16km path proposed for the Connector. I imagine SBD is asking how they'll be connected.

rev

#546 Post by rev » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:24 pm

Splashmo wrote:
rev wrote:Cyclists and pedestrians aren't allowed to be on freeways & motorways.
There's a separate path next to the Northern Expressway and there's a new 16km path proposed for the Connector. I imagine SBD is asking how they'll be connected.
Yes you're right I forgot about the paths.

drsmith
Legendary Member!

#547 Post by drsmith » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:46 pm

SBD wrote:Is that the current design?
No.

A later render shows South Road northbound to Salisbury Highway eastbound passing over both Northern Connector carriageways.
Attachments
14828d54c7c4ca53dd03736011e35528.jpg
14828d54c7c4ca53dd03736011e35528.jpg (57.76 KiB) Viewed 3780 times

drsmith
Legendary Member!

#548 Post by drsmith » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:58 pm

The image above is the same as in a Powerpoint presentation from August last year on Lend Lease's Northern Connector project site.

https://gateway.icn.org.au/project/3748 ... 1468345768

Another change from earlier designs is the all movement access interchange at Bolivar. While the Globe Derby interchange and connection to PWR is shown, it's not indicated as part of the current build. Shared use paths are also shown.

SBD

#549 Post by SBD » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:19 am

Splashmo wrote:
Yes, I was asking about the connection from the current Stuart O'Grady Bikeway which ends on the east side of Port Wakefield Road to the new path along the Northern Connector, and between the southern end of the new path to both the westbound shoulder of Salisbury Highway/Port River Expressway and the paths at ground level under the South Road Superway. Both crossings are drawn on most planning maps with straight lines across the roads, but I have not seen any indication of whether there will be bridges, underpasses, or just "bikes crossing" and "watch for pedestrians" signs. Different versions of the drawings have slight variations on where these lines are drawn, so somebody must be thinking about it, but I have not seen anything authoritative. The closest I saw was the version that showed the Stuart O'Grady Bikeway extended parallel to PWR to Heaslip Road, then cross with the traffic lights there, but that has gone from the latest drawings and returned to a straight crossing at the south side of the northern interchange.

Cyclists and pedestrians are not permitted on the Northern Expressway or the elevated South Road Superway, but cyclists are permitted on Port Wakefield Road, Salisbury Highway and Port River Expressway. The current interchange supports cyclists joining the bridge at the end of the northbound carriageway, so they cross the Port River Expressway on the shoulder of the same bridge that carries cars, trucks and road trains if they are coming from Wingfield or Regency Park and heading towards Mawson Lakes and Salisbury or up Port Wakefield Road.

The current Stuart O'Grady Bikeway is seen as a safe place for younger or inexperienced riders to practice riding longer distances with only a few road crossings. The new path will also have connections to the Little Para River and Dry Creek trails, so I expect there will be more people interested in using it to find safe routes between the Salisbury/Mawson Lakes/Paralowie areas and the Wingfield/Port Adelaide/Semaphore areas.

ChillyPhilly

#550 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:40 pm

This is OpenStreetMap's layout:

Westside
High Rise Poster!

#551 Post by Westside » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:39 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:This is OpenStreetMap's layout:
The top-right corner of the image aptly indicates the grains of salt with which OpenStreetMaps should be read.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#552 Post by monotonehell » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:43 pm

Westside wrote:
The top-right corner of the image aptly indicates the grains of salt with which OpenStreetMaps should be read.
:applause:
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

ChillyPhilly

#553 Post by ChillyPhilly » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:41 pm

Westside wrote:
Good call. Image

rev

#554 Post by rev » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:37 pm

Not sure if anyone's posted this already but at the northern end of the superway, where the NC will run, work is well underway.

ChillyPhilly

#555 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:00 pm

rev wrote:Not sure if anyone's posted this already but at the northern end of the superway, where the NC will run, work is well underway.
I've been trying to figure out what exactly they're doing with the PRExy median. In two spots, it's been removed and replaced with bitumen. A future u-turn spot for when they demolish the existing interchange, perhaps? This makes sense with the westernmost clearing, between South Road and Hanson Road, but the eastern median clearing doesn't fit this theory.