[COM] M2 Northern Connector | 15.5km | $867m

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Message
Author
aaronjameslange
Gold-Member ;)
Posts: 70
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:53 pm
Been thanked: 12 times

[COM] Re: M2 Northern Connector | 15.5km | $867m

#1126 Post by aaronjameslange » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:26 am

Bacon wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:34 pm
Southern interchange north-south is now bumped up to 90
Northbound only, southbound is still 60

aaronjameslange
Gold-Member ;)
Posts: 70
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:53 pm
Been thanked: 12 times

[COM] Re: M2 Northern Connector | 15.5km | $867m

#1127 Post by aaronjameslange » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:28 am

So a bit of rain this morning and the entire motorway is down to 80km/h. Man do i hate variable speed signs. It was actually slower than port Wakefield road which has a fixed speed limit of 90km/h for the majority.
So I've come up with a very simple solution
Summer = Motorway
Winter = Port Wakefield Rd
At $900m it's the world's most expensive summer track

User avatar
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 5936
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:06 pm
Has thanked: 838 times
Been thanked: 1617 times

[COM] Re: [COM] Re: M2 Northern Connector | 15.5km | $867m

#1128 Post by Norman » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:33 am

aaronjameslange wrote:So a bit of rain this morning and the entire motorway is down to 80km/h. Man do i hate variable speed signs. It was actually slower than port Wakefield road which has a fixed speed limit of 90km/h for the majority.
So I've come up with a very simple solution
Summer = Motorway
Winter = Port Wakefield Rd
At $900m it's the world's most expensive summer track
They do this on the south-eastern freeway as well, especially during fog. They are also probably testing the road surface given that it's our first proper concrete road.

User avatar
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)
Posts: 4444
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:14 pm
Has thanked: 372 times
Been thanked: 530 times

[COM] Re: M2 Northern Connector | 15.5km | $867m

#1129 Post by rev » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:58 am

aaronjameslange wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:28 am
So a bit of rain this morning and the entire motorway is down to 80km/h. Man do i hate variable speed signs. It was actually slower than port Wakefield road which has a fixed speed limit of 90km/h for the majority.
So I've come up with a very simple solution
Summer = Motorway
Winter = Port Wakefield Rd
At $900m it's the world's most expensive summer track
Port Wakefield road was a faster route with multiple traffic lights then a motorway without traffic lights?

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!
Posts: 836
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:20 pm
Has thanked: 550 times
Been thanked: 71 times

[COM] Re: M2 Northern Connector | 15.5km | $867m

#1130 Post by Brucetiki » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:49 am

aaronjameslange wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:28 am
So a bit of rain this morning and the entire motorway is down to 80km/h. Man do i hate variable speed signs. It was actually slower than port Wakefield road which has a fixed speed limit of 90km/h for the majority.
So I've come up with a very simple solution
Summer = Motorway
Winter = Port Wakefield Rd
At $900m it's the world's most expensive summer track
It was the same last night - well it was 110 for a bit then it randomly changed to 80.

It was completely unneccessary IMO. Fog on the freeway, that's understandable, but a bit of rain. Really?

SBD
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1499
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:49 pm
Location: Blakeview
Has thanked: 458 times
Been thanked: 113 times

[COM] Re: M2 Northern Connector | 15.5km | $867m

#1131 Post by SBD » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:50 pm

Brucetiki wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:49 am
aaronjameslange wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:28 am
So a bit of rain this morning and the entire motorway is down to 80km/h. Man do i hate variable speed signs. It was actually slower than port Wakefield road which has a fixed speed limit of 90km/h for the majority.
So I've come up with a very simple solution
Summer = Motorway
Winter = Port Wakefield Rd
At $900m it's the world's most expensive summer track
It was the same last night - well it was 110 for a bit then it randomly changed to 80.

It was completely unneccessary IMO. Fog on the freeway, that's understandable, but a bit of rain. Really?
This is the heaviest rain event since the surface and shoulders have been completed. Given the pictures of flooding on the adjacent bikeway, perhaps they wanted a little caution in making sure that the highway didn't have any unexpected problems. I'd guess it might get a reduced speed limit for the first king tide, especially if it is stormy.

Were there gusty crosswinds? Did they cause problems for trucks and road trains?

Goodsy
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1012
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:39 am
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 179 times

[COM] Re: M2 Northern Connector | 15.5km | $867m

#1132 Post by Goodsy » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:10 pm

SBD wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:50 pm
Brucetiki wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:49 am
aaronjameslange wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:28 am
So a bit of rain this morning and the entire motorway is down to 80km/h. Man do i hate variable speed signs. It was actually slower than port Wakefield road which has a fixed speed limit of 90km/h for the majority.
So I've come up with a very simple solution
Summer = Motorway
Winter = Port Wakefield Rd
At $900m it's the world's most expensive summer track
It was the same last night - well it was 110 for a bit then it randomly changed to 80.

It was completely unneccessary IMO. Fog on the freeway, that's understandable, but a bit of rain. Really?
This is the heaviest rain event since the surface and shoulders have been completed. Given the pictures of flooding on the adjacent bikeway, perhaps they wanted a little caution in making sure that the highway didn't have any unexpected problems. I'd guess it might get a reduced speed limit for the first king tide, especially if it is stormy.

Were there gusty crosswinds? Did they cause problems for trucks and road trains?
Gusty crosswinds doesn't change the speed limit on Port Wakefield Road, why would it change it on the Northern Connector

SBD
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1499
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:49 pm
Location: Blakeview
Has thanked: 458 times
Been thanked: 113 times

[COM] Re: M2 Northern Connector | 15.5km | $867m

#1133 Post by SBD » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:14 pm

Goodsy wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:10 pm
SBD wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:50 pm
Brucetiki wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:49 am


It was the same last night - well it was 110 for a bit then it randomly changed to 80.

It was completely unneccessary IMO. Fog on the freeway, that's understandable, but a bit of rain. Really?
This is the heaviest rain event since the surface and shoulders have been completed. Given the pictures of flooding on the adjacent bikeway, perhaps they wanted a little caution in making sure that the highway didn't have any unexpected problems. I'd guess it might get a reduced speed limit for the first king tide, especially if it is stormy.

Were there gusty crosswinds? Did they cause problems for trucks and road trains?
Gusty crosswinds doesn't change the speed limit on Port Wakefield Road, why would it change it on the Northern Connector
I don't know if it did, but possible answers would be:
1) This might have been the first time, and they want to make sure there is nothing unexpected
2) There is a lot less shelter for this road (at present until vegetation grows) than there is for PWR

I have certainly noticed other places with warning signs and windsocks. I don't think those sites have electronic variable speed limit signs. The road is not fully commissioned yet, I'm happy to know that they are checking for issues while it is still "under warranty" and can be remediated at builder's expense.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1012
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:39 am
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 179 times

[COM] Re: M2 Northern Connector | 15.5km | $867m

#1134 Post by Goodsy » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:17 pm

SBD wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:14 pm
Goodsy wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:10 pm
SBD wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:50 pm

This is the heaviest rain event since the surface and shoulders have been completed. Given the pictures of flooding on the adjacent bikeway, perhaps they wanted a little caution in making sure that the highway didn't have any unexpected problems. I'd guess it might get a reduced speed limit for the first king tide, especially if it is stormy.

Were there gusty crosswinds? Did they cause problems for trucks and road trains?
Gusty crosswinds doesn't change the speed limit on Port Wakefield Road, why would it change it on the Northern Connector
I don't know if it did, but possible answers would be:
1) This might have been the first time, and they want to make sure there is nothing unexpected
2) There is a lot less shelter for this road (at present until vegetation grows) than there is for PWR

I have certainly noticed other places with warning signs and windsocks. I don't think those sites have electronic variable speed limit signs. The road is not fully commissioned yet, I'm happy to know that they are checking for issues while it is still "under warranty" and can be remediated at builder's expense.
There's no shelter for trucks in between Virginia and Port Wakefield on PWR.. In fact there's no shelter from cross winds all the way to Port Augusta

aaronjameslange
Gold-Member ;)
Posts: 70
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:53 pm
Been thanked: 12 times

[COM] Re: M2 Northern Connector | 15.5km | $867m

#1135 Post by aaronjameslange » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:49 pm

aaronjameslange wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:28 am
So a bit of rain this morning and the entire motorway is down to 80km/h. Man do i hate variable speed signs. It was actually slower than port Wakefield road which has a fixed speed limit of 90km/h for the majority.
So I've come up with a very simple solution
Summer = Motorway
Winter = Port Wakefield Rd
At $900m it's the world's most expensive summer track
I must have upset somebody because this afternoon ALL the electronic speed signs were off. Nada, nothing, not even a '110 when the above sign is blank' sign for 15km. It was a choose your own adventure as far as what speed you wanted to travel.

marbles
Sen-Rookie-Sational
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:22 pm

[COM] Re: M2 Northern Connector | 15.5km | $867m

#1136 Post by marbles » Fri May 01, 2020 9:25 am

yea we were up and down this freeway last 2 days

going south there was road works on the left and speed limits were down to protect workers

however going north it looked like just becuase the concrete road was wet from the rain, they put the speed down to 80kms


also noticed, maybe been mentioned already, that heading south if you wanna turn left at port expressway, and head towards port wakefield/salisbury highway, there is no way to do it, there is simply no way to turn left to go back up into salisbury haha

Nort
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1315
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:08 pm
Has thanked: 299 times
Been thanked: 179 times

[COM] Re: M2 Northern Connector | 15.5km | $867m

#1137 Post by Nort » Fri May 01, 2020 11:18 am

marbles wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 9:25 am
also noticed, maybe been mentioned already, that heading south if you wanna turn left at port expressway, and head towards port wakefield/salisbury highway, there is no way to do it, there is simply no way to turn left to go back up into salisbury haha
Probably not worth the cost of building that exit, it would be quicker to exit at Port Wakefield Road as you cross it, so the only people using that exit would be people who missed that turn off.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!
Posts: 836
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:20 pm
Has thanked: 550 times
Been thanked: 71 times

[COM] Re: M2 Northern Connector | 15.5km | $867m

#1138 Post by Brucetiki » Fri May 01, 2020 11:34 am

Nort wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 11:18 am
marbles wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 9:25 am
also noticed, maybe been mentioned already, that heading south if you wanna turn left at port expressway, and head towards port wakefield/salisbury highway, there is no way to do it, there is simply no way to turn left to go back up into salisbury haha
Probably not worth the cost of building that exit, it would be quicker to exit at Port Wakefield Road as you cross it, so the only people using that exit would be people who missed that turn off.
Same logic with why there there's no southbound exit ramp at Waterloo Corner Rd

Goodsy
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1012
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:39 am
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 179 times

[COM] Re: M2 Northern Connector | 15.5km | $867m

#1139 Post by Goodsy » Fri May 01, 2020 11:45 am

Nort wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 11:18 am
marbles wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 9:25 am
also noticed, maybe been mentioned already, that heading south if you wanna turn left at port expressway, and head towards port wakefield/salisbury highway, there is no way to do it, there is simply no way to turn left to go back up into salisbury haha
Probably not worth the cost of building that exit, it would be quicker to exit at Port Wakefield Road as you cross it, so the only people using that exit would be people who missed that turn off.
It's not the cost, it's to funnel traffic where they want it.. i.e curbing Induced demand. If every interchange could go in every direction then everyone would use it.

A better solution would be to build the Globe Derby interchange and connect it to Elder Smith Drive. Or they could build a spot to do a U-Turn in between the Prexy and Bolivar interchange. If you get stuck i bumper to bumper traffic (like I have once already) it's an 8km slog until you're able to get off the Northern Connector

User avatar
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)
Posts: 4444
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:14 pm
Has thanked: 372 times
Been thanked: 530 times

[COM] Re: M2 Northern Connector | 15.5km | $867m

#1140 Post by rev » Fri May 01, 2020 5:30 pm

Brucetiki wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 11:34 am
Nort wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 11:18 am
marbles wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 9:25 am
also noticed, maybe been mentioned already, that heading south if you wanna turn left at port expressway, and head towards port wakefield/salisbury highway, there is no way to do it, there is simply no way to turn left to go back up into salisbury haha
Probably not worth the cost of building that exit, it would be quicker to exit at Port Wakefield Road as you cross it, so the only people using that exit would be people who missed that turn off.
Same logic with why there there's no southbound exit ramp at Waterloo Corner Rd
What logic?
T2T there's an on ramp heading north off Port Road, and an off ramp heading south there as well.
Cant get off heading north, cant get on heading south.

Port Road is one of the major arterials, so is Salisbury Hwy.
Similar situation at Grand Junction Road.

Three major arterial roads, and not one of them has on/off ramps in all relevant directions for the NS motorway.
Not every one of them needs it in all directions, but surely they should have added them in all directions on at least one.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests