News & Discussion: Station Upgrades

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: (U/R) - Parafield station

#46 Post by Norman » Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:34 pm

They also have these things on all the stations now:

Will409
Legendary Member!

#47 Post by Will409 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:33 pm

Work has continued at Parafield station. At the present time, the contractors have nearly finished concreting the first section of the platform and is now looking very similar to the platform at Lynton. The height of the platform has also been raised. Previously, the foundations for the light posts were about 15-20cms above the former platform pavement where as now they are flush with the new concrete. This means that the platform will be at floor level with the train instead of having to make a small step.
Image LINK TO YOUTUBE PROFILE.

Will409
Legendary Member!

#48 Post by Will409 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:29 pm

Got some new photos of the work. At the present time, half of the UP platform has had new concrete added raising the height to railcar floor level. By the time this is done, the platform will be identical to the one at Lynton.

UP platform from the northern end as it currently stands.

The height difference between the current and upgraded portions of the platform are obvious.

Light bases already prepared for the upgrading work (and have been like this for over a year). The new layer of concrete on the platform will be level with the steel plate at the bottom of the light post.

The southern end of the UP platform awaiting DDA complient bumps.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#49 Post by Norman » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:35 pm

Thanks for the update, Will. Too bad they didn't reconstruct the whole platform, the wall to the inside of the tracks looks rather shitty. Maybe they'll paint it?
Last edited by Norman on Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Will409
Legendary Member!

#50 Post by Will409 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:37 pm

Just because the paint looks crap, doesn't mean the concrete for the platform is so there is no need to rebuild it. Just need a repaint at the most and that is it and I doubt even that will happen.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#51 Post by Norman » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:40 pm

Will409 wrote:Just because the paint looks crap, doesn't mean the concrete for the platform is so there is no need to rebuild it. Just need a repaint at the most and that is it and I doubt even that will happen.
Fair enough I guess. They probably don't have the funds for that anyway. But it's an improvement, so that's good.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#52 Post by Shuz » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:16 am

Surely a project of this scale doesn't cost that much to undergo - It should be mandatory across the entire network that stations are upgraded to this standard, at minimum, with additional tidbits at higher patronised localities like ticketbooths, toilets, etc.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#53 Post by Cruise » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:32 pm

I fail to see the point of building ticket booths at any stations. They're on the trains themselves!!!

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#54 Post by AtD » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:35 pm

Cruise wrote:I fail to see the point of building ticket booths at any stations. They're on the trains themselves!!!
Trains don't sell multi-trips. I found the kiosk at Mawson quite handy, my only gripe was they only sold the Tiser. Didn't even sell The Australian.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#55 Post by Cruise » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:40 pm

well got to a deli then if you want a multi-trip (you know, forward thinking?:roll:)

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#56 Post by AtD » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:39 pm

What an odd comment...

Will409
Legendary Member!

#57 Post by Will409 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:47 pm

AtD wrote:
Cruise wrote:I fail to see the point of building ticket booths at any stations. They're on the trains themselves!!!
Trains don't sell multi-trips. I found the kiosk at Mawson quite handy, my only gripe was they only sold the Tiser. Didn't even sell The Australian.
There is also the added bonus of some extra security at a station if the station is staffed.

Shuz, I am only guessing here but a station rebuild like this (including the new lighting, station signage as well as new platform surfacing) could run up to between $100,000 -$200,000. I havn't seen any actual budget papers for a rebuild of this type though, I was merely guestimating.

skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#58 Post by skyliner » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:58 pm

Will409 wrote:Lynton is on the Belair line and is the second stop after Blackwood heading towards Belair. You will notice how it has a garden bed, clean concrete surfaced platform and 'pagoda' style shelter (so named after the architecture used on some of the smaller GWR stations in the UK).
At present Adelaide has far too many stations litlle better that the GWR pagodas. They were strictly branchline and unimportant stops only. Adelaide, being a city, deserves much more. I am fully with having more actual station buildings that there are. There is the security gain, a central contact/info point, better weather cover, possibility
of small kiosks and such services. I believe they are more efficient at getting all to pay for tickets that at present. Brisbane has many rail users who don't pay even with the stations however.

ADELAIDE - CITY ON THE MOVE
Last edited by skyliner on Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack.

Will409
Legendary Member!

#59 Post by Will409 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:23 pm

Quicky update for today. DDA complient 'blind bumps' as well as extra paving have arrived and are being installed on the platform as we speak. Starting to look really good now. Also, a large section of the garden bed between the platform and the carpark has been removed and leveled. A good sized quantity of re bar has been delivered and is now in storage just beyond the car park.

I was going to ask the contractors how long everything was going to take but when I heard ALL of them speaking in Greek, I decided not to bother.

As an additional note, extra lighting on the roof of the shelter has finally been connected to the mains (after being installed for 6 months) as well as new, lit station signs.

Will409
Legendary Member!

#60 Post by Will409 » Tue May 13, 2008 7:51 pm

Update to the rebuild at Parafield.

Work has continued on the pavement at Parafield to the point of completion (at the present time). One minor item of note is that the original paint from the platform lining hasn't been removed.

A brand new DDA complient wheelchair ramp from the carpark to the platform is being constructed. Since I took these photos a couple of days ago, the scaffolding has been removed.

While taking these photos, I was told by a contractor that a new shelter will be installed but it won't be a 'Pagoda' style shelter, instead being "a bit like Smithfield". I can only imagine that the shelter will be a minaturised version of Mawson Lakes but it is yet to be seen. Whatever happens, a large number of blue markings have been painted onto the pavement at Parafield station.

I passed through the station on the train back from Gawler and since these photos were taken, the ballast at Parafield has been freshened up with the ballast regulator although the (now covered) mudhole at the southern end of the UP platform still makes it's presence felt to travellers.