News & Discussion: Station Upgrades

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Keswick Terminal Upgrade

#31 Post by AtD » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:08 pm

Probably none. The platforms will still be too short, and the tracks still the wrong gauge.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

Whats happening at Port Adelaide railway station?

#32 Post by Cruise » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:09 pm

Saw this today on my travels. Anyone know what they are doing? The station is in a dire state and really needs an upgrade, other stations on the line have gotten upgrades recently so is port adelaide too?

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

Re: Whats happening at Port Adelaide railway station?

#33 Post by jimmy_2486 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:23 pm

Just your typical Pt Adelaide infrastructure there!!

If they want to ensure that people will start flooding to Pt Adelaide's new developments, places like these will need an upgrade to something good enough to show off to the rest of the nation. Heritage restrictions will have to be loosened up, for example, don't knock them down but make them into something useful. Not just to let them sit there and be eye sores taking up space.

I'm guessing they will make it look awesome though. Just time will tell what they will do.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#34 Post by SRW » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:25 pm

jimmy_2486 wrote:Just your typical Pt Adelaide infrastructure there!!

If they want to ensure that people will start flooding to Pt Adelaide's new developments, places like these will need an upgrade to something good enough to show off to the rest of the nation. Heritage restrictions will have to be loosened up, for example, don't knock them down but make them into something useful. Not just to let them sit there and be eye sores taking up space.

I'm guessing they will make it look awesome though. Just time will tell what they will do.
Part of the plan (or vision) for the redevelopment of the Port Adelaide town centre includes revamping the railway station. I think the desire was actually to reconstruct the station over Commercial Road, and transform the area below the present one into a bus interchange. The land adjacent was then to be rezoned for high/medium density residential or mixed use, transit-oriented development.
Keep Adelaide Weird

urban
Legendary Member!

#35 Post by urban » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:06 am

I hope it happens

Tom
High Rise Poster!

#36 Post by Tom » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:29 am

Such a shame they had to destroy that station in the 60s, The station use to have longer platforms and a large roof over the platforms and tracks, That area under the station was part of the station buildings hence why you have those "fancy iron poles there.
Garno!

Will409
Legendary Member!

News & Discussion: Station Upgrades

#37 Post by Will409 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:44 pm

Towards the end of 2006, TransAdelaide announced that it was going to heavily uprade Parafield station. Since the announcement, some work has been carried out. Upgraded lighting, new signage and a car park that has been doubled in size.

On Thursday, work started on the platforms with the UP side being worked on at the moment. At all stations between Gawler Central and Chidda, there is a cardboard sign mounted on the light posts stating that passengers wishing to alight at Parafield must use the rear most railcar. On the platform itself, a large temporary fence has been erected just beyond the shelter blocking off the southern half of the platform. Most of the pavement has been removed and dumped beyond the carpark. The northern end of the UP platform is obviously still servicable.

It is possible that the upgrade could result in a station like Lynton but obviously, it is yet to be seen. I got a few photos on my phone of the work (the camera was being borrowed - AGAIN).

(Incase you are wondering, U/R = Under Rebuild)
Last edited by Will409 on Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image LINK TO YOUTUBE PROFILE.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

Re: (U/R) - Parafield station

#38 Post by Cruise » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:54 pm

Where's Lynton?

Will409
Legendary Member!

#39 Post by Will409 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:04 pm

Lynton is on the Belair line and is the second stop after Blackwood heading towards Belair. You will notice how it has a garden bed, clean concrete surfaced platform and 'pagoda' style shelter (so named after the architecture used on some of the smaller GWR stations in the UK).

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#40 Post by Norman » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:29 pm

Actually, Will, It's 3 stops before Blackwood on the DOWN ;)

2 station after Blackwood on the DOWN is Pinera.

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynton_rai ... C_Adelaide

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#41 Post by Cruise » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:48 pm

North Haven and Osborne stations are the same as that too, i'll take some photos for you to add to wiki if you like

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#42 Post by Norman » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:06 pm

Cruise wrote:North Haven and Osborne stations are the same as that too, i'll take some photos for you to add to wiki if you like
Already got them ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Have ... C_Adelaide

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osborne_ra ... C_Adelaide

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#43 Post by muzzamo » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:41 pm

Wow Lynton looks really good.. Its amazing how much a bit of a facelift can do :-)

I'll bet they will be adding the new bumps for blind people to Parafield, for certain.

Are they adding security cameras etc?

Will409
Legendary Member!

#44 Post by Will409 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:58 pm

The 'blind people bumps' are for DDA complience and are now mandatory for all new or rebuilt stations. Salisbury had the bumps fitted 3 months or so ago which involved cutting up a fair bit of pavement.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#45 Post by muzzamo » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:01 pm

likewise for keswick.. They probably spent more on those bumps than they have on the station in the last 10 years :-)