News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Torrens_5022
High Rise Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Trains

#2806 Post by Torrens_5022 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:23 am

Murray Bridge is 76km from Adelaide via the freeway taking about an hour in a car, the train is 97km an extra 21km of winding through the hills and takes 124mins on the overland (it took over 3 hours when I took it to Melbourne in 2011 due to wet weather and being only one line) - that's an extra hour of travel time minimum - most of the time lost is before Mt Barker so any metro service would take 80 to 90 mins to Mt Barker making it unviable and express bus is about 45min. So a train could stop at the speedway but it would be only a few times a week and would take close to 2.5 hours from Adelaide, you could do the trip in 75min in a car

PD2/20
High Rise Poster!

#2807 Post by PD2/20 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:21 am

Torrens_5022 wrote:Murray Bridge is 76km from Adelaide via the freeway taking about an hour in a car, the train is 97km an extra 21km of winding through the hills and takes 124mins on the overland (it took over 3 hours when I took it to Melbourne in 2011 due to wet weather and being only one line) - that's an extra hour of travel time minimum - most of the time lost is before Mt Barker so any metro service would take 80 to 90 mins to Mt Barker making it unviable and express bus is about 45min. So a train could stop at the speedway but it would be only a few times a week and would take close to 2.5 hours from Adelaide, you could do the trip in 75min in a car
Not that a metro train could get beyond Belair where the broad guage track finishes.

Laidback-Luke
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#2808 Post by Laidback-Luke » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:17 pm

Hi guys, If I'm not mistaken this is my first, or one of my first posts on this forum. I've been a long, long time lurker and love checking in here almost every day.

I have a question however and apologies if it has already been answered.Why has the neon blue lighting feature on the new Showgrounds station bridge been turned off? I loved it, was such a showpiece driving down Anzac Highway. Have gone past it three times this week and always off. Anyone, know why?

Cheers in advance.
Hooligan wrote:They should've built a stadium there.

*runs away*

EBG
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2809 Post by EBG » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:38 pm

In regards to the single track to Belair, when the original plan to electrify 3 of the 4 main suburban lines was announced in 2008, all 4 main lines were to be converted to standard gauge. All upgrading work done from 2008 up to the presented included gauge convertible sleepers. If this had been done we could increase the frequency of trains to Blackwood and Belair and trains to Tailem bend could leave from North Tce. This is an example of the state government running out of funds.

Nathan

Re: U/C: Electrification & Upgrade of the Adelaide Rail Netw

#2810 Post by Nathan » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:27 pm

I've noticed yesterday morning and this morning, a geo-testing company doing work around the Torrens Junction. Wonder what they're up to.

Llessur2002

#2811 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:30 pm

Nathan wrote:I've noticed yesterday morning and this morning, a geo-testing company doing work around the Torrens Junction. Wonder what they're up to.
I was also wondering the same thing...

metro
Legendary Member!

#2812 Post by metro » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:46 pm

Apparently today's Seaford Line failure was caused by a substation failure, and there are no replacement parts in the state. ABC news reported if the Gawler line were electrified (mainly if there was a substation at Kilburn) then it's likely electric trains could still be running. I've also heard that trains might not be running on the Seaford Line tomorrow either. Meanwhile, commuters are furious with all the breakdowns that the Seaford line has been experiencing:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-28/d ... section=sa

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#2813 Post by Goodsy » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:00 pm

Why can't they just run the diesel trains back on the line until it's resolved? it's not like they they changed the track gauge, or did they?

electrictechron
Gold-Member ;)

#2814 Post by electrictechron » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:06 pm

GoodSmackUp wrote:Why can't they just run the diesel trains back on the line until it's resolved? it's not like they they changed the track gauge, or did they?
Clearly not as the diesels were on the line today moving the electrics to station platforms.
The JetExpress must be saved!

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2815 Post by AG » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:22 pm

GoodSmackUp wrote:Why can't they just run the diesel trains back on the line until it's resolved? it's not like they they changed the track gauge, or did they?
There were diesel trains running at reduced intervals this afternoon, but they were taken off Grange line services as a result of the shortage of available rollingstock.

There seems to have been some corners cut in the planning and execution of the new electrified network. Most electrified networks have multiple substations with isolation points in between sections - this provides redundancy in the network and allows the network to continue to operate in the event that one substation or section experiences problems. The Adelaide network only has the one substation at Lonsdale with absolutely no isolation points. I understand there was originally meant to be a second one at Keswick, which was never built.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2816 Post by crawf » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:59 pm

metro wrote:Apparently today's Seaford Line failure was caused by a substation failure, and there are no replacement parts in the state. ABC news reported if the Gawler line were electrified (mainly if there was a substation at Kilburn) then it's likely electric trains could still be running. I've also heard that trains might not be running on the Seaford Line tomorrow either. Meanwhile, commuters are furious with all the breakdowns that the Seaford line has been experiencing:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-28/d ... section=sa
Which is another reason why the Government should of electrified the Gawler Line first before commencing with the O'Bahn Extension. Today was not only a complete disaster for southern commuters, but also motorists being held up by boom gates and commuters north of the city affected by limited diesel trains.

Where was the Minister today?, absolute no word whilst the Opposition jumps at the opportunity. Very poor form.

It's a f**king joke our railway network.
AG wrote:There seems to have been some corners cut in the planning and execution of the new electrified network. Most electrified networks have multiple substations with isolation points in between sections - this provides redundancy in the network and allows the network to continue to operate in the event that one substation or section experiences problems. The Adelaide network only has the one substation at Lonsdale with absolutely no isolation points. I understand there was originally meant to be a second one at Keswick, which was never built.
This would not surprise me considering the amount of problems that have plagued this project. A review needs to be undertaken so this never happens again.

Waewick

#2817 Post by Waewick » Fri May 06, 2016 12:01 pm

http://indaily.com.au/news/2016/05/06/2 ... questions/
[/The State Government will call for expressions of interest to build a $238 million lowered rail line and underpass in the north parklands to separate the Outer Harbor line from the freight route. And it could set the scene for a tram line to Adelaide Oval.

jase111
Gold-Member ;)

#2818 Post by jase111 » Fri May 06, 2016 6:23 pm

The rebuilding of the nation’s Interstate Rail Freight Network continues under Federal Labor, with the 2012-13 Budget committing $232.1 million in new funding to upgrade the section through the heart of Adelaide.

This investment will speed up the movement of freight trains through the City, improve the reliability of its passenger services, ease traffic congestion around the CBD, and boost national productivity.

Recommended by Infrastructure Australia, the Torrens and Goodwood Junctions Upgrade will separate freight from passenger services by diverting the line used by one beneath that used by the other thus eliminating the need for trains on either track to stop while those on the other pass through.

Construction of these underpasses will also allow bigger trains to operate along the line between Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth – 1,800 metres in length instead of the current 1,500 metres – as well as shave 30 minutes off their journey times.

Eliminating the two bottlenecks at Goodwood and just north of the CBD will complement the nearly $350 million Federal Labor has so far committed, including as part of our Economic Stimulus Plan, upgrading this rail corridor. All up, we’ve rebuilt nearly a third of the nation’s Interstate Network in just four years.

Already 4,000 freight trains a year pass through Adelaide, a figure that’s set to grow.

As well as making rail even more competitive, the project will advance the goals outlined in our National Urban Policy. It will make the Adelaide an even better place to live and an easier place to get around.

The level crossing on Leader Street in Goodwood and a further three near Bowden Station, along with the delays and peak-hour congestion they cause, will go. We will also refurbish Keswick and Bowden Stations, and improve pedestrian access between the Adelaide Showgrounds and the Parklands.

Planning on the $443.0 million project is underway and work could commence as early as next year, with the Federal money flowing from 2015-16 and the South Australian Government kicking in the balance of the required funding.
http://anthonyalbanese.com.au/budget-20 ... -junctions

So this was 12/13 with leader street grade separated . let's have hope it still will happen . if not transfer funding from leader st to either Torrens road or Oaklands crossing

mattwinter
High Rise Poster!

#2819 Post by mattwinter » Sat May 07, 2016 1:27 pm

The Indaily article mentions stage 2 of the goodwood upgrade with a pedestrian overpass. Will be interesting to see what that involves.. I always thought that if they ever did a pedestrian overpass with the tramline at Goodwood they'd include a platform and make a train/tram interchange station out of it

Running the OH line along war memorial drive, to Adelaide Oval and then down KWS would be a good option! Though I'd prefer it to stay heavy rail.

Rather than join the entertainment center line up to the OH line at Bowden, I'd rather it turn left, go past Hindmarsh stadium and then along Grange road

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#2820 Post by muzzamo » Sat May 07, 2016 3:55 pm

mattwinter wrote:The Indaily article mentions stage 2 of the goodwood upgrade with a pedestrian overpass. Will be interesting to see what that involves.. I always thought that if they ever did a pedestrian overpass with the tramline at Goodwood they'd include a platform and make a train/tram interchange station out of it
They should have had a train/tram interchange years ago. Its ludicrous that they don't.

I think the pedestrian overpass is actually a pedestrian/cycling overpass and is a key link in the cycleway along the train line into the city - at the moment it is terrible in terms of the flow /usefulness of the cycleway.