PRO: Port Adelaide Tramline | $260m

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Adamo
Gold-Member ;)

Re: #Proposed : Port Adelaide Tram Line

#466 Post by Adamo » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:23 pm

I would of still preferred a city loop. A city loop is in more demand, than a stupid park and ride facility for 400 people who wish to drive further to this facility, then catch the tram into the city. It serves the purpose for extending it onto the rail line later down the track yes, but we need the tram extensions to further enrich our city streets first hand, promoting further redevelopment in those areas... not an area on port road, where no one tends to go except to watch the footy and live performances.

Regardless of that though this will be an excellent project, which I am very excited about. Enough ranting.
http://twitter.com//tarcobello
http://mrpianoman.com
'we've had some times i wouldn't trade for the world..'
Rise Against

raulduke
High Rise Poster!

#467 Post by raulduke » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:29 pm

this is madness - the train line runs paralell to port road what a waste of money

ricecrackers
Banned
Banned

#468 Post by ricecrackers » Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:12 pm

any chance of a pedestrian underpass under Port Road to keep the crowds off the road going to or from the Ent Centre or Hindmarsh stadium to the tram stop??

this is not madness. trams can run more frequent than heavy rail. it will result in capturing the Hindmarsh precinct within the CBD's accessibility zone. its needed and will be a great boost to Hindmarsh.
If 50 million believe in a fallacy, it is still a fallacy..." Professor S.W. Carey

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#469 Post by AG » Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:50 pm

Don't forget that the Entertainment Centre won't permanently be the terminus of the line, it will eventually connect up with the other lines. There's plenty of opportunity for future extensions beyond this one.

drwaddles
High Rise Poster!

#470 Post by drwaddles » Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:52 pm

ricecrackers wrote:this is not madness. trams can run more frequent than heavy rail. it will result in capturing the Hindmarsh precinct within the CBD's accessibility zone. its needed and will be a great boost to Hindmarsh.
A true, but misleading, statement.

Heavy rail can run at 30tph (2 minute headways) - are more than 30 services per hour really needed? No. If more capacity is required, then run larger vehicles.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#471 Post by Norman » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:12 pm

Light rail is more cost efficient at high frequencies though, it costs less to run frequent trams than frequent trains.

drwaddles
High Rise Poster!

#472 Post by drwaddles » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:16 pm

Norman wrote:Light rail is more cost efficient at high frequencies though, it costs less to run frequent trams than frequent trains.
And it costs even less to run a bus at high frequencies. What's your point?

Claims like that are useless unless you are comparing $ per pax - in which case I'd like to see some numbers.

ricecrackers
Banned
Banned

#473 Post by ricecrackers » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:30 pm

i dont know of a bus that runs from near where i live, right through to Hindmarsh. i know i'll use the service.

currently i have to change buses in the city to achieve that.

the tram runs largely unimpeded through the CBD too, buses dont. the only place i can see it will compete with traffic is on the bridge.

we'll never see heavy rail running a service every 5 minutes. no, it will be lonely waits of half an hour or more at Bowden station. forget that.

this will be a success, we've seen the take up of the tram extension within the CBD, this will be no different.

i'm not a fan of Rann, but i think the only way you could have opposition to this would be due to a completely anti Labor sentiment.
If 50 million believe in a fallacy, it is still a fallacy..." Professor S.W. Carey

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#474 Post by rhino » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:48 pm

drwaddles wrote:
Norman wrote:Light rail is more cost efficient at high frequencies though, it costs less to run frequent trams than frequent trains.

Claims like that are useless unless you are comparing $ per pax - in which case I'd like to see some numbers.
When talking about public transport, you have to compare $ per pax - nothing else makes sense. Even environmental benefits and carbon footprints of different modes of PT have to take in pax numbers to be relevant. And that's the point.
cheers,
Rhino

drwaddles
High Rise Poster!

#475 Post by drwaddles » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:48 pm

ricecrackers wrote:i dont know of a bus that runs from near where i live, right through to Hindmarsh. i know i'll use the service.

the tram runs largely unimpeded through the CBD too, buses dont. the only place i can see it will compete with traffic is on the bridge.

we'll never see heavy rail running a service every 5 minutes. no, it will be lonely waits of half an hour or more at Bowden station. forget that.

this will be a success, we've seen the take up of the tram extension within the CBD, this will be no different.

i'm not a fan of Rann, but i think the only way you could have opposition to this would be due to a completely anti Labor sentiment.
:wank:

drwaddles
High Rise Poster!

#476 Post by drwaddles » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:50 pm

rhino wrote:
drwaddles wrote:

When talking about public transport, you have to compare $ per pax - nothing else makes sense. Even environmental benefits and carbon footprints of different modes of PT have to take in pax numbers to be relevant. And that's the point.
You are agreeing with me.

Norman's claim that light rail is more cost efficient at high frequencies per pax is wrong, hence me wanting to see some numbers.

ricecrackers
Banned
Banned

#477 Post by ricecrackers » Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:03 pm

drwaddles wrote:
ricecrackers wrote:i dont know of a bus that runs from near where i live, right through to Hindmarsh. i know i'll use the service.

:wank:
you could've subbed that emoticon for your previous couple of posts. would've saved you the trouble.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#478 Post by Norman » Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:12 pm

Well, heavy rail vehicles are just that, heavier, so they require more power to operate. They also serve more local areas (if you look at the map, there are 4 stops, compared to just the one on the heavy rail line). Then there's also the advantage of being delivered right into the city centre compared to changing to a tram at the Railway Station.

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#479 Post by rhino » Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:30 pm

And then there's the fact that more frequent services draw more users.
cheers,
Rhino

frank1
Donating Member
Donating Member

#480 Post by frank1 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:02 pm

What's the point of arguing with someone who hates them. You will get the same arguing with a brick wall. i.e. some people hate trams some people like them, you can't convince each other.