PRO: Port Adelaide Tramline | $260m

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: #PRO: Port Adelaide Tram | #COM: Entertainment Centre Tr

#1591 Post by cruel_world00 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:21 pm

I really hope the Government haven't deferred this project because the Liberals leaked it early.

**** state politics is a joke.

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1592 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:08 pm

Mike Rann rules out tramline extension until future budgets

PREMIER Mike Rann has ruled out extending the tram line down Gouger Street until "future budgets", despite flagging his wish for the new tram loop to reinvigorate the city.

Mr Rann had dismissed the high-level leak to the Opposition which suggested the Premier would announce the new western tram loop as one of his final legacy announcements.

Mr Rann has previously said the tram loop "will happen".

"While I'm not making any announcement today - that will be left to future Budgets - there's no doubt in my mind a city loop tram service that winds back through the western side of the city and then down either Gouger or Grote Street would prove a huge economic boost for the city's western precinct, as well as for our drawcards such as Chinatown," he said in a speech to the Property Council today.

"It would also provide the spark for the future redevelopment of Victoria Square."

Mr Rann also used his speech to criticise those who "relentlessly oppose change" in Adelaide, as he outlined his achievements to the audience.

"It's a refrain I've heard time and again during my nine and half years as Premier, and for decades before: nothing ever changes, nothing gets done'," he said.

The Premier pointed to the Adelaide Oval redevelopment, the tram extension and the new Royal Adelaide Hospital as defining the Government's time in office.

He also indicated that the Government was keen to see the Adelaide Festival Centre upgraded as part of his vision for North Terrace to restore it to being the city's most "crucial asset."

"There's no doubt that in recent years the lights have been turned back on at our cultural showpiece," he said.

"Now, it's imperative that it once more becomes the beating heart of our Festival State's artistic being.

"As the first Australian capital city arts precinct of its type, our Festival Centre, as it approaches its 40th birthday in 2013, is clearly in need of a revamp and a re-focus."

"Every city-defining development around the world features an arts and entertainment component at its core," he said.

Mr Rann said the State Government had committed $750,000 for the centre to develop a plan for an upgrade.
I surely hope Weatherill will allocate some money for an extension in the next Budget. Considering he's very left-leaning, I imagine he'll have a big emphasis on prioritising PT infrastructure and upgrades before road infrastructure.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

gumbi
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1593 Post by gumbi » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:18 pm

Does anyone know why the tram slows down to 10km/h when it hits the parklands straight after Greenhill Road? Seems crazy that it should have to travel so slowly there.

On another note, I'm also curious to know what people's thoughts are regarding the traffic signal sequence for the trams. The worst intersection that I've noticed is South Terrace / King William Street city bound. The tram will often have to wait long periods of time before entering King William Street. It also appears as if the tram is the down the bottom in terms of priority for the traffic signals (i.e. traffic from both directions will be given the chance to pass before the tram). I'd like to see some changes made in this area to make the journey quicker! :mrgreen:

rubberman

#1594 Post by rubberman » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:19 am

Can I add a further question to Gumbi's above.

Why is the travel time on the line so slow overall?

Despite the grade separation at South Road, level crossings everywhere, relaid track, and new trams, the present system cannot run at a higher average speed than the old H cars used to run. In other words, why has the public not gotten any performance outcome for the money spent?

Further, also to Gumbi's comment, the use of signalling under the Morphett St bridge and at West/South Tce going into the siding, as well as at the Entercentre is ludicrous as well. Why on earth one needs heavy rail type signal philosophy where line of sight is so good and speeds so slow is beyond me. This is not a heavy rail operation, and if you check international standards like the German BOSTRAB, not required in similar circumstances for much more frequent services either.

Perhaps we should get some real expertise in from Germany or the Czech Republic or Poland where they really know how to run trams.

I do not say this to be disrespectful of local authorities. They are doing as good as they know how. It is just that one cannot be an expert on everything, so one must know when to call in the experts. Trying to run a single line tramway utilising different technology to the predominant bus and heavy rail is just one of those times. Call in expertise from Europe where they have been running this stuff continuously over the past fifty years (when Australia dumped most of its expertise in trams in favour of buses) - I reckon you could shave five to ten minutes of a Bay to Entercentre trip without much trouble.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#1595 Post by Vee » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:22 am

gumbi wrote: ... I'm also curious to know what people's thoughts are regarding the traffic signal sequence for the trams. The worst intersection that I've noticed is South Terrace / King William Street city bound. The tram will often have to wait long periods of time before entering King William Street. It also appears as if the tram is the down the bottom in terms of priority for the traffic signals (i.e. traffic from both directions will be given the chance to pass before the tram). I'd like to see some changes made in this area to make the journey quicker! :mrgreen:
Good Q. gumbi.

The tram should have priority over general traffic at intersections. It speeds up public transport, which in turn makes it more attractive to passengers and potential passengers, and makes a statement to the travelling public. This will need to be given higher consideration when the tram extension/city loop is developed.

Why are motorists still permitted to do right hand turns from the (currently shared) lane in King William St South? This section needs a dedicated tram lane (and an improved station with wide platform and shelter). In the interim, right hand turns by motor vehicles should be banned for a significant period during the day.

MessiahAndrw
High Rise Poster!

#1596 Post by MessiahAndrw » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:04 am

metro wrote:
crawf wrote:The Libs make a good point
"If Labor can afford to splash out $100 million on a tramline extension, then it can afford to honour its $75 million Darlington interchange promise.''
I think it's either $100m on making a big improvement to public transport in the City, or $75m on a couple of fly overs that will just add more traffic congestion to south road.
Agree. The people (well me at least) don't want more stupid freeways to encourage more people to drive. We want quality public transportation. And we want it now (not 2020).
My blog on urban design: http://www.andrewalexanderprice.com/blog.php

Port Adelaide Fan
High Rise Poster!

#1597 Post by Port Adelaide Fan » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:29 am

Return trams to The Parade

TRAMS should return to The Parade to improve Norwood’s public transport, residents and local traders say.

The idea has been spruiked during community consultation on Norwood, Payneham & St Peters’ long-term strategic plan.

Mayor Robert Bria said a tramline along the shopping strip was a common suggestion at a workshop, attended by about 70 people, late last month.

“It’s heartening to see so many people interested in the tram and I think a lot of people, including myself, would like to see it return,” Mr Bria said.

“The 30-Year Plan does identify The Parade as a transit route but doesn’t give an indication of the time frame.”

more: http://eastern-courier-messenger.wherei ... he-parade/

ChillyPhilly

#1598 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:21 pm

MessiahAndrw wrote: Agree. The people (well me at least) don't want more stupid freeways to encourage more people to drive. We want quality public transportation. And we want it now (not 2020).
We need to get people out their cars. Besides the short-term/quicker impacts, there's far more serious long-term negative aspects about car use. I'd rather a triple-carriage train 30 metres long than 30 metres of road space for six cars with six drivers.

Although, that said, the Liberals do raise a valid point. Either infrastructure investment would bring plenty of long-term benefits over time, but one is solely for public use and serving to smaller economic activities, while the other is for primarily private [vehicular] use and useful in increasing/maximising productivity.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.