PRO: Port Adelaide Tramline | $260m

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: #Proposed : Port Adelaide Tram Line

#241 Post by AtD » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:02 pm

One would assume so, since all the tracks are being converted.

Will409
Legendary Member!

#242 Post by Will409 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:12 pm

Ho Really wrote:You could still run trams or whatever from Woodville to West Lakes and Port Adelaide to Semaphore. Is it that necessary to link up the Glenelg tram to the heavy rail by running it along Port Road to the Entertainment Centre and then through Bowden?
A link between the Outer Harbor line at Bowden and Port Road at the Entertainment Centre is the closest practical point to the CBD where a transfer can be made. As I pointed out already, try to take the tram route any further down the line and you will have a dual mode TransAdelaide tram/railway interface with the ARTC interstate network at Torrens Junction. In addition, to create a link with the current City West - Glenelg line in the CBD if you followed the heavy rail line in it's entirety, you would need a flyover in Adelaide Station yard which I have already pointed out as being unfeasable due to various construction works as well as a couple of other issues.
Ho Really wrote: Please explain to us how they are going to run standard gauge trams (or whatever) on broad gauge lines (and maybe alongside our current fleet of trains). Are they going to add a third rail like they have on the Outer Harbor line currently? Are they going to convert all broad gauge to standard gauge? What happens to the current diesels that will be converted to electric? How much will this cost? You're the man with the knowledge, I am curious to know. Thanks.
[/quote]

One section of the budget is a planned gauge conversion of the entire heavy rail system from broad gauge to standard gauge which would take place sometime between 2014-2016. The earlier date is when construction of the Albert Park - West Lakes light rail line starts and the latter date is when gauge conversion and electrification of the Gawler Central line is completed. The Gawler Central line would understandably be the last line to be converted because it is already a "dual use" corridor in that there is a once daily broad gauge freight train from Penrice in the Barossa Valley which enters TransAdelaide jurisdiction at Gawler Central. For standardisation to occur, GWA who both own and operate the freight line beyond Galwer Central would also need to standardise at the same time. This will require some negotiation between the two parties. However, some progress is being made. Recently, the Seppelts Road level crossing in the valley was upgraded with gauge convertable concrete sleepers (which are standard on the line at level crossings, the rest of the line being timber sleepered). However, unlike the other level crossings, a third rail set for standard gauge was also added like on the Grange line at the Port Road level crossing. This allows for gauge conversion without having to dig up the road surface which will need to be done else where.

As for conversion of the 3000/3100 class "Poxboxes", I havn't seen the reported cost of conversion for the entire fleet and probably won't see any listings until we get closer to the work actually being carried out. The heavy rail overhead will be electrified at 25 000V 50hz AC current which is the same used in Brisbane/Regional Queensland as well as Perth. What will happen is that the current diesel engines and AC alternator sets will be removed from the underframe and either discarded or made available as spare parts for the remaining 12 railcars that will stay diesel operated for use on the Belair line. The traction motors currently fitted are AC drive which makes life easier during the conversion stage. Even though the design is now over 20 years old, the control gear on these railcars was actually years ahead of it's time in Australia being the first in the nation to use AC Inverter control gear which is now fairly widely used on most modern DMUs in this country. These railcars at the time of introduction were designed with electric use in mind (indeed, they were based on the 300 strong Comeng EMU fleet in Melbourne which were built arond the same time by the same manufacturer initially). Just to prove how far sighted the STA were when they ordered the 3000/3100 class fleet, they were not only designed for electrification in mind but also standardisation.

While they may be aesthically uninspiring (hence why railfans such as myself have nicknamed them after shipping containers that carry medical waste to the incinerator), they are mechaninally and electrically very far sighted indeed. The 29 operational 2000/2100 class railcars are slated for withdrawl completely by 2018 at the latest. While they were designed for electrification (although not standardisation), they are getting on a bit too far to make conversion from diesel traction feasable. By 2018, the oldest will be 38 years old by then.
Last edited by Will409 on Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image LINK TO YOUTUBE PROFILE.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#243 Post by jk1237 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:12 pm

Ho Really wrote: Please explain to us how they are going to run standard gauge trams (or whatever) on broad gauge lines (and maybe alongside our current fleet of trains). Are they going to add a third rail like they have on the Outer Harbor line currently? Are they going to convert all broad gauge to standard gauge? What happens to the current diesels that will be converted to electric? How much will this cost? You're the man with the knowledge, I am curious to know. Thanks.

Cheers
As far as I know, Adelaide and Melb tram lines run on standard gauge tracks, so the Outer Harb and Grange lines (actually all lines) will be converted to standard guage to allow the trains and tram-trains to run on. What I want to know is that considering trams are low floor things, what are they gonna do with the heavy rail platforms that are almost a metre high.
And from what Ive read, the design of the 3000 trains were based on a fairly easy conversion to electric if need be. Got no idea how hard it is to convert from BG to SG, but it happened on all the Overland trains fairly easily when it converted from BG to SG

Will409
Legendary Member!

#244 Post by Will409 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:22 pm

jk1237 wrote:As far as I know, Adelaide and Melb tram lines run on standard gauge tracks, so the Outer Harb and Grange lines (actually all lines) will be converted to standard guage to allow the trains and tram-trains to run on. What I want to know is that considering trams are low floor things, what are they gonna do with the heavy rail platforms that are almost a metre high.
This point has also been raised on Railpage. Two options (one of which I have already discussed elsewhere in more detail on this forum) have manifested themselves.

1- Dual height steps (already discussed)
2 - Dual platforms at selected stops to allow for low floor trams as well as normal heavy rail vehicles. This has been done on the route 96 in Melbourne on the reserve section from the CBD.
jk1237 wrote:And from what Ive read, the design of the 3000 trains were based on a fairly easy conversion to electric if need be. Got no idea how hard it is to convert from BG to SG.
See my post above for more detail about the work involved. I'd presume that the axles have what is known as a 'stepped profile' which in other words is a step on the axle itself. One would obviously be for broad gauge while the other one (slightly narrower) is for standard gauge. All you really need to do is expand the centre of the wheel disk and shift the wheel itself inwards. Adjust the brake rigging and you are away (especially since the traction motors/gearing isn't affected).

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#245 Post by Cruise » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:30 pm

Now i knew all my training wouldn't go to waste, i can understand 409! 8)

Will409
Legendary Member!

#246 Post by Will409 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:32 pm

Cruise wrote:Now i knew all my training wouldn't go to waste, i can understand 409! 8)
"To a railfan, no explanation is neccessary but to you however, no explanation is possible!"

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#247 Post by Cruise » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:35 pm

Will409 wrote:
Cruise wrote:Now i knew all my training wouldn't go to waste, i can understand 409! 8)
"To a railfan, no explanation is neccessary but to you however, no explanation is possible!"
But i do understand, so does that make me a railfan? or a fan of anything with wheels and an engine?

Will409
Legendary Member!

#248 Post by Will409 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:36 pm

Let's take you to Railsa where the initiation can begin!

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#249 Post by Cruise » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:40 pm

does the initiation invole straping me to a stobie pole with duct tape?

Will409
Legendary Member!

#250 Post by Will409 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:43 pm

It involves what I had to go through, breath the exhaust of an 830 class that has had it's throttle swept through the notches! The amount of smoke those things make is enough to create a shadow (I am not kidding either, seen it happen plenty of times at Dry Creek South Yard).

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#251 Post by Cruise » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:46 pm

I can't say i have ever seen that lol

Will409
Legendary Member!

#252 Post by Will409 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:52 pm

Here's a photo I got of two 830/900 class having the throttle swept back in 2006.

PhilH
Gold-Member ;)

#253 Post by PhilH » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:03 pm

Ho Really wrote:Kevin Foley on the ABC's Stateline announced that the tram from the Entertainment Centre will head through a redeveloped (Clipsal site) Bowden housing estate to the Outer Harbor line.
I wonder If I'm understanding you correctly (or if you understood Foley correctly), because...

The Entertainment Centre is on the south-western side of Port Road and the railway line.
The current Clipsal site is on the north-eastern side of the railway line.
So, for the tram to go through the redeveloped Clipsal site, it will have to cross the railway line that it is supposed to be connecting up to!
Yep, that makes perfect sense, Kevin! :?

shiftaling
High Rise Poster!

#254 Post by shiftaling » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:13 pm

Wayno wrote: :shock: your a Copper? quick hide the stolen stuff!
Not a copper, merely a humble functionary :)

But my dad's a train driver - he was planning to retire soon but now he reckons he will put it off for a few years to see what they make of this. :lol: The neglect of the rail system has been a bugbear of his for years

I am absolutely chuffed that the Port Road tram line is one of the first projects to start. This kind of transport option for Hindmarsh and Thebarton may see some real inner city action happening in this neglected part of town. Hopefully they will stop building "Light Commercial" concrete cubes and get some more actual people living and visiting around here. I have a feeling that it may kickstart the village atmosphere of Thebarton again.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#255 Post by Norman » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:21 pm

In Germany, they have foldable steps provided in their new light rail vehicles for low platforms.