PRO: Port Adelaide Tramline | $260m

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: #PRO: Port Adelaide Tram | #COM: Entertainment Centre Tr

#1546 Post by Ben » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:46 pm

From The City Messenger:
Harbison calls for new West End tram loop

by Emily Charrison

LORD Mayor Michael Harbison wants the tramline to be looped through the West End, saying it would inject life into the neglected side of town.

In his final few months in office, Mr Harbison will lobby the State and Federal governments to help fund a western tram loop along West Tce, Morphett or Gray streets then onto Grote St and back to Victoria Square (see map).

In campaigning for the August 21 Federal Election, both Labor and Liberal parties say they will look at the idea.Mr Harbison said the western loop had already been identified by the State Government as the next best tram project following the now-completed $162 million extension from North Tce to the Entertainment Centre on Port Rd.

He was confident it would be supported by both levels of government considering the first extension had “paid off so handsomely”. “The south end of the city has already seen a surge in developments because of the easy access now offered to Rundle Mall and the State Government also expects to see urban regeneration to the Clipsal area (Bowden),” he said.

“And with the Federal Government’s renewed interest in cities ... I’m hopeful we and the State Government may receive some assistance.”

Mr Harbison said a western loop was better than expanding the line to North Adelaide because the north side of town was already so densely populated, with limited opportunities for growth and change.

“The western precinct is a very large area, it’s centrally located but presently it’s just a sea of rusty roofs.”

Mr Harbison denied he was just calling for the extension now, when he is about to leave the City Council, and will not have to see the project fulfilled.

“I’ve advocated for this from the very start.”

Adelaide MHR Kate Ellis (Labor) said she had yet to see a proposal but would be “interested in further details”. “The previous tram extension has been a huge success and we know from overseas experience that trams can be a great driver of urban renewal,” she said. “But to work, these kind of projects need to be done properly.” Liberal candidate Luke Westley said it was “certainly viable”, although he had not received a formal funding request. “I will be more than happy to look at a proposal once the Lord Mayor puts something to us,” he said.

Transport Minister Patrick Conlon said the government was already busy with the next extension to Port Adelaide and Semaphore, although he believed the western loop was a likely goer “at some point in the future”. “Any project such as a western loop would be a valuable benefit to the city and help to drive enormous growth,” he said.

He was unsure how much it would cost to fund the project

skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1547 Post by skyliner » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:41 pm

I remember suggesting this one some time ago (along Morpett and Grote as well) - maybe on this thread somewhere. Hope it is done - for reasons stated in the last thread. Tram extensions have proven to be a winner in Adelaide - wide streets highly conducive as well - as long as properly researched first.

SA - STATE ON THE MOVE
Jack.

Waewick

#1548 Post by Waewick » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:09 am

whilst I support Harbys call my only annoyance is his comments regardling North Adelaide being already densly populated so it doesn't need a tram

don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that it does need a tram, but I thought the whole point of the improvement in trams and trains was to improve the usage of public transport, building up a population in an area is a positive but surely if you can find a densly populated area which has a high utilisation private vehicles and improve the service then it should be looked at?

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1549 Post by omada » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:56 am

Sorry i'm a bit slow on the uptake, in reference to Harbo's call for the city loop, I would prefer the city loop be built before the Semaphore/Port Adelaide Tram Extension. Port Adelaide is already serviced by a train, and besides the place is not worth the travel. The city loop could be built rather quickly and with immediate benefits, consolidating the renewal taking place in the West End by groups such as Renew Adelaide and the significant infrastructure being built by UniSA.

Waewick

#1550 Post by Waewick » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:17 pm

I'd love for the State Government to clarify its plans

but given the next budget is going to see us virtually broke again I'm pretty sure the government will be backing away from everything it can.

we may need to revist the election promises thread....

Vee
Legendary Member!

#1551 Post by Vee » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:16 pm

omada wrote: ... I would prefer the city loop be built before the Semaphore/Port Adelaide Tram Extension. Port Adelaide is already serviced by a train ...
The city loop could be built rather quickly and with immediate benefits, consolidating the renewal taking place in the West End by groups such as Renew Adelaide and the significant infrastructure being built by UniSA.
+1
The city loop makes much more sense as #1 priority for the same reasons.
Trams are great for short-middle distances where passengers can hop on and off and connect to other services. They can have more standing room and passengers don't mind periods of overcrowding and temporary discomfort for the convenience of the service. The benefits are economic, social and environmental.

I would love to see funding earmarked for this project and a timeline.

Waewick

#1552 Post by Waewick » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:35 am

I agree with this

I have heard that there has been expansive planning done for a tram down Gray Street and back up gouger/grote

personally I don't think this goes far enough. The way I see trams in the CBD of adelaide is the link between other forms of transport at the city.

Having 4 major “stations” around Adelaide which feed buses into which the trams service on a regular basis is the best way for us to get a viable tram network, this tram network however has to be useful to the populace connecting as much of the city as possible (refer my vision idea of a city loop down greenhill/fularton rd). Unfortunately it would take many years to complete and far beyond the 4 year term state governments get.

Aidan

#1553 Post by Aidan » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:58 pm

capitalist wrote:I agree with this

I have heard that there has been expansive planning done for a tram down Gray Street and back up gouger/grote
The government did propose it, but it was badly thought out and never really taken seriously by anyone who knows much about transport.
personally I don't think this goes far enough. The way I see trams in the CBD of adelaide is the link between other forms of transport at the city.
And that's an enormous mistake IMO. The trams should be a useful way of getting around the City, not an excuse to avoid fixing the deficiencies of our other transport modes!
Having 4 major “stations” around Adelaide which feed buses into which the trams service on a regular basis is the best way for us to get a viable tram network, this tram network however has to be useful to the populace connecting as much of the city as possible (refer my vision idea of a city loop down greenhill/fularton rd). Unfortunately it would take many years to complete and far beyond the 4 year term state governments get.
Buses could do that far more cheaply and effectively than trams. Trams make more sense on radial routes where passenger demand is much higher.

It would be nice to have trams going to more of the City, particularly along Angas Street and Grote Street (both of which could become the basis for lines into the suburbs). But what's more urgently needed is to greatly increase the service frequency of the City Loop buses.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Nathan

#1554 Post by Nathan » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:30 pm

Do you mean Grote -Wakefield? Angas Street isn't going to be feeding any suburban lines (unless you want to count the South-East corner of the CBD a 'suburb')

Westside
High Rise Poster!

#1555 Post by Westside » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:48 am

Aidan wrote:But what's more urgently needed is to greatly increase the service frequency of the City Loop buses.
Agreed. A turn up and go frequency (of 8-5 mins) is definitely needed on this service. A 15 min frequency just doesn't make it attractive for the regular commuter, especially the cross-modal commuter that has just caught a bus to the train station, then a train to town and now waits another 15 mins to head to the other side of the city.

Aidan

#1556 Post by Aidan » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:17 am

Nathan wrote:Do you mean Grote -Wakefield?
No I don't. That wouldn't give such good interchange in Victoria Square.
Angas Street isn't going to be feeding any suburban lines (unless you want to count the South-East corner of the CBD a 'suburb')
Wakefield Road isn't a suitable route through the parklands because it's part of the motor racing circuit. Tram tracks would be an extra hazard for the racing cars. The best solution is to tunnel under the parklands, as this would guarantee uninterrupted service. And there's no reason why a tunnel would have to follow the same route as the roads.

But even without any tunnelling, Angas Street could feed a suburban line via Hutt Street and Duthy Street.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#1557 Post by Hooligan » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:51 am

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 5911102174

"We are going to put a tramline to West Lakes in 2016 so there is an opportunity to do a development on the AAMI grounds that would make a fortune," Mr Conlon said.
Looks like the West Lakes line is still happening, For now.

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

skyliner

#1558 Post by skyliner » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:03 pm

I thought it was cancelled and funds rediredted elsewhere. First I've heard of tis now going ahead - interesting..,.

Sa - STATE ON THE MOVE
Jack.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1559 Post by Norman » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:56 pm

It was never cancelled, it was merely delayed by a year (AFAIK) when they decided to upgrade Adelaide Oval.

Aidan

#1560 Post by Aidan » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:47 pm

I had been under the impression that the plan for tram-trains was virtually dead, and keeping the line as heavy rail was the likeliest outcome. But I've since heard that converting the line entirely to tramway was the favoured option for a while but the tram-trains plan is back on, though it may well change again.