PRO: Port Adelaide Tramline | $260m

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Will409
Legendary Member!

Re: #Proposed : Port Adelaide Tram Line

#211 Post by Will409 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:36 pm

When the first Melbourne B class (high floor) tram prototypes (B1 2001-2002) were introduced in 1987, they were delivered with height adjustable steps which would've suited both standard railway platforms and street level stops. At the time of the Port Melbourne and St Kilda light rail conversions, the plan was to use the former railway station platforms which were made redundant during the light rail conversion. They steps later proved unsuccesful and were removed soon after. Given that was over 20 years ago, technology has advanced a long way in regards to height adjustable steps so who knows.
Image LINK TO YOUTUBE PROFILE.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#212 Post by muzzamo » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:37 pm

I wonder if this is what they will use..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flexity_Link
The Flexity Link is a low-floor tram-train manufactured by Bombardier Transportation. It is designed to be able to run both on an urban tram network and on main railway lines, in order to provide direct journeys into a city's centre without passengers having to transfer from a regional train to a tram.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#213 Post by AtD » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:41 pm

I guess this also means the section of track under the Morphett Street Bridge will need to be duplicated.

Will409
Legendary Member!

#214 Post by Will409 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:48 pm

AtD wrote:I guess this also means the section of track under the Morphett Street Bridge will need to be duplicated.
More then likely. Atleast at this point though, the median strip between the entrance road to the Convention Centre and City West tram stop is wide enough to be converted into a second track and removing that turning lane will not be all that hard.
Image LINK TO YOUTUBE PROFILE.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#215 Post by Norman » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:48 pm

muzzamo wrote:I wonder if this is what they will use..
The Flexity Link is a low-floor tram-train manufactured by Bombardier Transportation. It is designed to be able to run both on an urban tram network and on main railway lines, in order to provide direct journeys into a city's centre without passengers having to transfer from a regional train to a tram.
I think they will. Bombadier already maintains our current trains, so it would make sense to do the same for the train-trams and new trains. Here's my hot tip for our trains:

PhilH
Gold-Member ;)

#216 Post by PhilH » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:58 pm

Will they also have to duplicate the line from Woodville to Grange in order to meet the proposed 15-minute frequency during the day? From memory, the current turnaround of Woodville to Grange and back is about 20 minutes or so, and given the short distances between stations on that branch, I can't see that even new, faster vehicles would be able to get up enough speed to shave 5 minutes off the journey. The golf club probably wouldn't be too pleased about sacrificing more land to a duplicated track either. Perhaps the idea is to branch off from the current line at Seaton station, and then have two tracks running along Trimmer Parade?

Xaragmata
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#217 Post by Xaragmata » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:02 pm

muzzamo wrote:I wonder if this is what they will use..
No, the FLEXITY Link has comfortable seating, so probably not!
http://www.bombardier.com/index.jsp?id= ... _1_1_4.jsp

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#218 Post by jk1237 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:04 pm

woah, I'm :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

They will need to have a duplicated track from Woodville to Albert Park Stn atleast

Omicron

#219 Post by Omicron » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:25 am

Trams running hither and yon doth make Omi a happy boy. Viva la western suburb revolucion!

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#220 Post by Howie » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:15 am

Transport Announcement (Short Version)

Transport Announcement (Long Version)

Tyler_Durden
High Rise Poster!

#221 Post by Tyler_Durden » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:59 am

Londo Mollari wrote:All this is very exciting .... and next budget will more than likely be bigger and better!!!
No chance. This will put them in a lot of debt and Foley has said that they won't be able to afford to extend the debt any more than this. Foley said there won't be any more "big ticket" items for a long time.

Tyler_Durden
High Rise Poster!

#222 Post by Tyler_Durden » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:04 am

Will there need to be overhead wires running up the existing train tracks where trams will run?

Mants
Legendary Member!

#223 Post by Mants » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:17 am

Tyler_Durden wrote:Will there need to be overhead wires running up the existing train tracks where trams will run?
there needs to be for electric trains regardless.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#224 Post by Shuz » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:49 am

What has me a little puzzled is how they're going to get the trams from Port Road onto the Outer Harbor line, especially considering it stops at the Entertainment Centre. The only two solutions I can think of...

- Is that they'll run the trams to South Road, and seeing as that part will be tunneled, the trams would simply follow on South Road and then onto the Outer Harbor line?
- Directly outside the Entertainment Centre there is a wide walkway between it and the Bowden station, which could be used as a throughfare for trams?

And also why have they not mentioned going the one extra stop further to service Hindmarsh Stadium - its only a 200m walk away after all?

Xaragmata

#225 Post by Xaragmata » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:07 pm

Shuz wrote:What has me a little puzzled is how they're going to get the trams from Port Road onto the Outer Harbor line, especially considering it stops at the Entertainment Centre. The only two solutions I can think of...

- Is that they'll run the trams to South Road, and seeing as that part will be tunneled, the trams would simply follow on South Road and then onto the Outer Harbor line?
That one makes sense, but there has been silence & inaction on the Port Rd / rail underpass ... a high-frequency tram/train service
across the existing South Rd level crossing will be at least as disruptive as the Glenelg tram line - to be solved with the overpass.