PRO: Port Adelaide Tramline | $260m

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: #PRO: Port Adelaide Tram | #COM: Entertainment Centre Tr

#1576 Post by skyliner » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:22 pm

Pleased to read that the full tram plan is still going through. I suspect they will trial this to see if rail electification of the line will still be needed. I hope itr is still built.

Now for a city loop.

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

fabricator
Legendary Member!

#1577 Post by fabricator » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:03 pm

skyliner wrote:Pleased to read that the full tram plan is still going through. I suspect they will trial this to see if rail electification of the line will still be needed.
Just how do you think they are going to power the trams if there is no overhead, duracells ?
AdelaideNow: Now with 300% more Liberal Party hacks, at no extra cost.

metro
Legendary Member!

#1578 Post by metro » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:55 pm

fabricator wrote:Just how do you think they are going to power the trams if there is no overhead, duracells ?
exactly like that, the technology already exists to allow trams to run without overhead.

this is one in Nice, France:

But it isnt the overhead that is the issue here, it's the rails, at the moment they're standard width on the light-rail system, and broad width on the rail system. They'd have to add a third rail before they can run the trams.

skyliner

#1579 Post by skyliner » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:03 pm

Thank you Metro. I did'nt really think I would haver to mention the overhead catenary system.

SA - STATE ON THE MOVE
Jack.

rubberman

#1580 Post by rubberman » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:07 pm

The French have been trying to do without overhead for over a century. The best that is available now are super capacitors that last for only a relatively short while. They are a possible technology for avoiding complicated overhead at junctions since the trams can use the stored power while going over the junctions. I would not want to wait till it was perfected for long trips. That may push the Port work back a decade or so.

The Scooter Guy

#1581 Post by The Scooter Guy » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:26 pm

metro wrote:
fabricator wrote:Just how do you think they are going to power the trams if there is no overhead, duracells ?
exactly like that, the technology already exists to allow trams to run without overhead.

this is one in Nice, France:

But it isnt the overhead that is the issue here, it's the rails, at the moment they're standard width on the light-rail system, and broad width on the rail system. They'd have to add a third rail before they can run the trams.
Probably special batteries & not an centre energized rail!
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1582 Post by Ben » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:21 am

From The Messenger:
Push for Port tram

17 Aug 11 @ 08:00am by Kara Adams

THE tramline extension to the Port should be brought forward to 2013 to boost the area’s revitalisation and draw more tourists and traders, the local council says.

A report commissioned by Port Adelaide Enfield Council has found extending the line from the Entertainment Centre to Outer Harbor would boost tourist numbers at the Port by 10 per cent cent.

Melbourne-based consultancy group Linqage International has found the new line would inject more than $650 million into the economy over its three-year construction period, and create 1000 jobs.

The council has written to Minister for Urban Development and Planning John Rau, lobbying the State Government to bring forward the tramline, currently planned to extend only to Port Adelaide, to 2013. The government’s start date is 2015.

Game Traders owner Peter Ninos said the tram would have a “huge” impact in Port Adelaide.

“A lot of our customers come from Norwood and North Adelaide, so having a tram run down here will really help our shop,” Mr Ninos said.

He said many would also prefer travelling to Port Adelaide to shop if carparking was not a concern.

Port-Enfield Mayor Gary Johanson said he had met with Mr Rau about the project and was pushing to get the trams sooner. “We’ve seen the benefits with the tram extension (to the Entertainment Centre) already,” Mr Johanson said.

“There will be a flow on effect at every suburb with a tram stop.”

“The rebirth of the Port, to bring it to the tourist icon it is capable of becoming, revolves around the tram coming to the Port and Semaphore.”

The report found the cost of the project, which would also include building 14 new trams and linking the existing line with Semaphore and Glanville and the passenger terminal at Outer Harbor, would cost $269 million.

The State Government has scheduled the work to begin in 2015 and be completed by 2018.

Jewellery & More Jeanette Delpin owner said: “Trams would be the best thing that would have ever happened for Port Adelaide.”

Foodland owner Anthony Romeo said the tram was a “tremendous opportunity” for the Port.

He said Port Adelaide could become a tourist attraction similar to Glenelg.

“In terms of history Port Adelaide has a lot to offer.

A spokesman for Minister for Transport Patrick Conlon said there were no plans to bring forward the rail extension.

The spokesman said the department recognised “the great benefits that the new infrastructure will bring to the area”.

Waewick

#1583 Post by Waewick » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:21 pm

yeah in terms of History Port has a lot to offer........

rather the city loop get done first.

Dylan_
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1584 Post by Dylan_ » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:16 pm

The Scooter Guy wrote:
metro wrote:

Probably special batteries & not an centre energized rail!
APS uses a third rail placed between the running rails, divided electrically into eight-metre segments with three-metre neutral sections between. Each tram has two power collection skates, next to which are antennae that send radio signals to energise the power rail segments as the tram passes over them.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alimentation_par_le_sol

I look forward to seeing how they hope to efficiently run the Outer Harbor/Port Adelaide lines once complete, given that there will be spurs to grange, semaphore, west lakes, and port adelaide. The only way I see it being doable is if the grange, semaphore and west lakes spurs are run as shuttles, but I don't see that going down well here considering people's fixation on single-seat journeys.

Port Adelaide Fan
High Rise Poster!

#1585 Post by Port Adelaide Fan » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:16 pm

Premier Mike Rann to reveal extended tram line, say Libs

A $100 million extension of the tramline through the city has been predicted by the Opposition as part of Premier Mike Rann's personal legacy.

Opposition Leader Isobel Redmond said today a leak from within Government to the Liberals had indicated the line would be extended from Victoria Square down Gouger St and onto Morphett St or West Tce and link up with the track on North Tce.

Ms Redmond said the Premier was expected to make the announcement tomorrow in an address to the Property Council before he steps down on October 20.

"What we have here is a lame duck Premier again searching for a personal legacy and deliberately trying to derail the Labor Government," she said.

"If Labor can afford to splash out $100 million on a tramline extension, then it can afford to honour its $75 million Darlington interchange promise.''

more

[Shuz]

#1586 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:19 pm

It's the Government's worst kept secret. We've known this for a long time already! I hope a formal annoucement is made soon.

City Loop tram should have its own thread, methinks. :D
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1587 Post by crawf » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:50 pm

The Libs make a good point
"If Labor can afford to splash out $100 million on a tramline extension, then it can afford to honour its $75 million Darlington interchange promise.''

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1588 Post by crawf » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:47 pm

Straight from the DTEI on Twitter
Minister Conlon has told #Adelaide media claims of an announcement on Gouger St #tram extension are bogus.

metro
Legendary Member!

#1589 Post by metro » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:57 pm

the city loop tram was proposed back in 2006, it's nothing new and has been discussed many times over the years.
crawf wrote:The Libs make a good point
I think it's either $100m on making a big improvement to public transport in the City, or $75m on a couple of fly overs that will just add more traffic congestion to south road.

Also consider that there is already ~$500m going towards the duplication of the Liberal's one way freeway. But it just proves that the Liberals want roads but nothing spent in public transport infrastructure.

Aidan

#1590 Post by Aidan » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:27 pm

metro wrote:the city loop tram was proposed back in 2006, it's nothing new and has been discussed many times over the years.
DTEI hate it because they think it's poor value for money. 'Tis one of the few things I agree with them on! Tripling the frequency of the 99C bus service would be both much more useful and much cheaper.

When we have more tramways into the City, a City tram loop may be worth building. Right now it isn't.
crawf wrote:The Libs make a good point
I think it's either $100m on making a big improvement to public transport in the City, or $75m on a couple of fly overs that will just add more traffic congestion to south road.
The improvement to public transport in the City wouldn't actually be that big, and the flyovers are likely to have a net reducing effect on congestion.

But I think you've inadvertently stumbled over a very good point here. $75m is a very large amount of money - way more than a couple of overpasses should cost. IIRC that's as much as the construction of the Gallipoli Underpass*. Overpasses are normally cheaper - so what's pushing the cost of this up so much?
Also consider that there is already ~$500m going towards the duplication of the Liberal's one way freeway. But it just proves that the Liberals want roads but nothing spent in public transport infrastructure.
I agree public transport infrastructure deserves more priority, but the southern end of the Southern Expresway is urgently requires duplication even if the northern end doesn't.

* That had additional land acquisition costs. This doesn't, so a total cost comparison would not be appropriate.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.