News & Discussion: Water Infrastructure

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: #UC: Adelaide metropolitan water pipeline interconnects

#166 Post by AG » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:53 pm

There's sections of this very spread project happening at the moment. At Walkerville Terrace, the new pipeline that will connect the pumping station to be constructed opposite Buckingham Arms is currently being excavated into place. Soon the disruption will spread to North East Road as the pipeline snakes it's way uphill to the Hope Valley Reservoir. A number of streets across the foothills to the south are also having new pipes installed.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#167 Post by rev » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:30 am

They wouldn't happen to be purple pipes would they?
Because I've been told they are for recycled water..
Don't get me started on disruptions. There are so many morons who can't read signs which are put up well in advance of the actual work going on about lanes being closed. Yet they continue on in that lane which is closed ahead and then at the last minute expect to be let in to the open lane.
It would be so much simpler if they just got in the open lane to begin with, traffic would flow as smooth as possible during the disruptions.

victorious80
Gold-Member ;)

#168 Post by victorious80 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:36 am

No purple pipes. It is definitely potable water. The project's aim is to connect the northern and southern water networks, which are currently split at approximately the River Torrens. This enables water to be transferred between the north and south as required. It will be able to pump desal water up north once the plant is fully commissioned. Basically ensures the entire metro network is completely linked and fully flexible.

Some good info here: http://sawater.com.au/SAWater/WhatsNew/ ... /NSISP.htm
FYI there are some pretty sexy pump stations being built as part of this project! Check the renders out under the Presentations and Minutes section.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#169 Post by AG » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:33 am

Prior to this project being implemented, the Adelaide water network was effectively two separate networks - the northern area served by the Adelaide-Mannum pipeline which feeds into the Hope Valley Reservoir and the southern area served by the Murray Bridge-Onkaparinga pipeline which serves Happy Valley Reservoir. With the desal plant now in place, the reservoirs need to be connected to it to ensure the water supply.

rev

#170 Post by rev » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:44 am

Didn't know that, interesting.
Anyway the purple pipes I'm talking about were the ones being put in on Regency Road from just before the new Bunnings all the way down to Regency Tafe.
A few left over pipes are still sitting in the grass on the side of the road.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#171 Post by monotonehell » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:39 pm

rev wrote:Don't get me started on disruptions. There are so many morons who can't read signs which are put up well in advance of the actual work going on about lanes being closed. Yet they continue on in that lane which is closed ahead and then at the last minute expect to be let in to the open lane.
It would be so much simpler if they just got in the open lane to begin with, traffic would flow as smooth as possible during the disruptions.
I could be wrong because I don't drive at all. But isn't that how you're supposed to merge now, post the 2000 zip merge rules being introduced?
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

rev

#172 Post by rev » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:30 pm

I just merge when there's room. If there's no room, I create it. It's called an accelerator. Whereas most imbeciles on the road slow right down to 30-40, completely oblivious of traffic behind them, regardless of if there is or will be room.

The issue I was trying to highlight but failed miserably, was the people who ignore the signs 500m(for eg.) before the road works, that the lane they are in is closed ahead, but continue on anyway speeding past everyone in the correct OPEN lane, and when they get to the roadworks hit their indicator and expect everyone else to let them in.
I never let them in, and if I notice anyone else thinking of letting them in, I beep the horn and yell like a lunatic till they move up. :twisted:

Dylan_
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#173 Post by Dylan_ » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:02 am

When there's no line marking in the merging section the car in front has right of way. If there are line markings (dotted line), the terminating lane has to give way.

rev

#174 Post by rev » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:00 pm

^ Yep. I'm talking about marked lanes btw in case anyone wasn't clear.
Anyhow.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#175 Post by Wayno » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:31 pm

yup, purple = recycled water. Some suburbs adjacent to the CBD are leveraging the glenelg wastewater pipeline. Alexandria Terrace at Rose Park (with the wide lawned median strip) is one example where it's being done right now.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#176 Post by Aidan » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:46 am

Wayno wrote:yup, purple = recycled water. Some suburbs adjacent to the CBD are leveraging the glenelg wastewater pipeline. Alexandria Terrace at Rose Park (with the wide lawned median strip) is one example where it's being done right now.
That's good but it doesn't explain Regency Road.

Also, what about the City itself? I know the parklands have recycled water, but do any of the buildings?
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

rubberman
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#177 Post by rubberman » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:54 am

That might be the Barker Inlet stormwater scheme. The pipes from that go along Regency from Days Rd to Pedder Crs if that's where you are referring to.

http://www.sawater.com.au/NR/rdonlyres/ ... rInlet.pdf

rev

#178 Post by rev » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:55 pm

Aidan wrote:
Wayno wrote:yup, purple = recycled water. Some suburbs adjacent to the CBD are leveraging the glenelg wastewater pipeline. Alexandria Terrace at Rose Park (with the wide lawned median strip) is one example where it's being done right now.
That's good but it doesn't explain Regency Road.

Also, what about the City itself? I know the parklands have recycled water, but do any of the buildings?
As far as I know, the recycled water is only being used for irrigation of parklands. Which is a good idea..maybe they'll be able to keep them green in the summer?

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#179 Post by Wayno » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:42 pm

rev wrote:As far as I know, the recycled water is only being used for irrigation of parklands. Which is a good idea..maybe they'll be able to keep them green in the summer?
The ACC are only using recycled water for trees & ovals, not for greening additional parkland areas. Why? who knows. Maybe extra parkland greenery translates into additional maintenance costs.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

rev

#180 Post by rev » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:25 pm

Victoria Park is being irrigated entirely with recycled water.