News & Discussion: Water Infrastructure

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
mattblack
Legendary Member!

Re: #Article: City plan to use recycled water

#61 Post by mattblack » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:18 am

Heres a link to the sa water website/pamflet outlining the route of the pipeline with all the info. Dont know how to cut & paste it onto the site, sorry.

http://www.sawater.com.au/NR/rdonlyres/ ... e_0408.pdf

Cheers

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#62 Post by Wayno » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:02 am

mattblack wrote:Heres a link to the sa water website/pamflet outlining the route of the pipeline with all the info. Dont know how to cut & paste it onto the site, sorry.
http://www.sawater.com.au/NR/rdonlyres/ ... e_0408.pdf
Cheers
image of the proposed pipeline.
glenelg-pipeline.JPG
glenelg-pipeline.JPG (32.7 KiB) Viewed 2647 times
Anyone know the path it will follow down to glenelg?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#63 Post by rhino » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:03 pm

Wayno wrote: Anyone know the path it will follow down to glenelg?
If I recall correctly, it's going to go around the airport (southern and eastern sides) and then follow the Keswick Creek reserve to the SW corner of the parklands, crossing the railway near the Keswick Bridge. I also seem to recall them talking about a 700mm diametre pipeline to that point.
cheers,
Rhino

JAKJ
High Rise Poster!

#64 Post by JAKJ » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:22 pm

Looks like it will be going right down my street, I'll keep an eye out for it when I get back to the 'laide :)

Jim
Donating Member
Donating Member

Water Infrastructure

#65 Post by Jim » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:34 am

This looks to be an exciting development to secure Adelaide’s future I wonder how it stacks up with desalination??
From the Advertiser

"TASMANIA is considering a proposal to pipe a massive 350 gigalitres of fresh water a year to South Australia or Victoria under Bass Strait.

A preliminary Memorandum of Understanding that would deliver Tasmania at least $300 million a year has been presented to the Government by a Melbourne-based water consortium.

If the South Australian government grabs the Tasmanian water before Victoria - and 350 gigalitres is enough water to supply both Adelaide and its struggling Riverland farmers - the undersea pipe would be 500 kilometres long and come ashore near Port Fairy in Victoria's far west.

Last night, a South Australian Government spokeswoman was not able to comment on whether the government had seen proposal.

The deal also promises Tasmania a share of all future profits for the next 30 years, in return for allowing the consortium to pipe pristine water from the Forth River near Devonport on Tasmania's North-West coast across Bass Strait.

The consortium wants to construct the $2 billion steel pipeline linking the North-West town of Burnie to Victoria and buy the water from the Tasmanian Government for resale.

One member of the consortium is understood to be a major oil and gas producer listed on the Australian Stock Exchange, while another is Melbourne water engineer and "pipe-dreamer" Geoff Croker.

The consortium's scheme is based on forecasts showing the only place in Australia with sufficient "spare water" to solve the critical water shortage in the mainland states is Tasmania.

The Forth River, which is already dammed and tapped for hydroelectricity power, has an annual flow of 1300 gigalitres a year.

It is not predicted to suffer lower rainfall because of impending climate change.

Mr Croker confirmed a water purchase and pipeline contract - in the form of a preliminary Heads of Agreement - was before the Tasmanian Government.

The scheme would see the first water piped from the Tasmania's rural and forested north- west region to Victoria by the summer of 2011.

Tasmanian Water Minister David Llewellyn confirmed last night the Croker consortium had submitted a Memorandum of Understanding to government- owned electricity and water company, Hydro Tasmania.

But Mr Llewellyn, who is also Energy Minister, said he had been advised by Hydro Tasmania the draft deal was still a " very long way" from being ready for signing or passing on to Cabinet for approval.

"Several proponents have publicly raised the possibility of commercial arrangements for the import of bulk water supplies from Tasmania," Mr Llewellyn's said.

"Such discussions as have occurred with Hydro Tasmania have been based on early investigations of feasibility; none has advanced to a point that would warrant the Government's formal consideration."

But he stressed because Tasmania receives 14 per cent of Australia's water yet has less than one per cent of the nation's land, it would be "premature and inappropriate" for the Government to refuse to listen to ideas proposing bulk water exports.

According to consortium documents, the length and destination of the 2.5 metre-wide pipeline will depend on if the South Australian or Victorian government is the first to sign a water purchasing agreement with the consortium.

If Victoria decides to buy the Tasmanian water to supply Melbourne with 350 gigalitres of water a year, the pipeline would be 350km long and end at Westernport Bay to Melbourne's south-east.

A gigalitre of water is 1000 megalitres of water, equivalent to covering a football oval to a depth of 50 metres.

Such a long-term purchase of water by Victoria could remove the need to build the unpopular desalination plant planned for the Gippsland coast by Victorian Premier John Brumby.

It would also make a pipeline to bring drinking water to Melbourne from the Goulburn Valley unnecessary, potentially allowing more central Victorian water to flow back into the struggling Murray River system.

But it is understood that the Brumby Government is not keen on the consortium's proposal because it would make Victoria too reliant on Tasmania.

The Memorandum of Understanding also offers the Tasmanian government an alternative scenario to committing to sell its water now for the next 30 years.

The private consortium says it is prepared to fund and build the $2 billion water pipe to Victoria from Burnie itself - rather like the existing undersea gas pipe linking Gippsland to Launceston was built privately by Duke Energy - in return for annual delivery fee.

This way, the Tasmanian government would keep ownership and control of its water, and arrange sale contracts with mainland states when and for what amounts of water it chose to sell.

The consortium is also keen to secure the right to access water from the four-times larger Pieman River catchment on Tasmania's west coast.

This second proposal, which it hopes to build three years after the first water flows from the Forth river's Cethana dam to Victoria, seeks to tap another 500 gigalitres of water annually from the Pieman's River Mackintosh Dam.

This water would be linked to the Forth River and the Burnie outflow path by a tunnel built beneath the hills dividing the Pieman river catchment to the Cethana Dam 40 kilometres south of Burnie."

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Water Infrastructure

#66 Post by Wayno » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:40 am

already posted over here as a part of "The Murray & Securing our Water Supply" ==> http://www.sensational-adelaide.com/for ... =15#p43790
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#67 Post by AG » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:04 pm

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/stor ... 01,00.html
Work starts on Adelaide parklands water pipeline
GREG KELTON, STATE EDITOR
September 11, 2008 01:25pm
CONSTRUCTION on a pipeline to carry treated wastewater to the Adelaide parklands has been brought forward and water could be flowing in mid-2010.

Work on the pipeline, from the Glenelg Wastewater Treatment Plant to the CBD, had not been due to start until next year.

Federal Water Minister Penny Wong inspected the first stages of the work today at North Plympton with Water Security Minister Karlene Maywald.

Senator Wong said the $75 million project would involve a 40km pipeline network delivering up to 5.5 billion litres of recycled water to the parklands.

"Climate change means we need to secure new supplies of water to reduce our reliance on the Murray and on rainfall," she said.

Ms Maywald said the pipeline would reinforce Adelaide's position as "a green city" and would also contribute to a range of significant environmental benefits including reduced discharge of treated wastewater in Gulf St Vincent and improving the health of the River Torrens and the quality of the water in Torrens Lake.

SA Water is expected to use some of the recycled water in its new headquarters being built in Victoria Square.

The Property Council has already proposed expanding the size and length of the pipeline to enable the treated water to be plumbed into office buildings throughout the city for use in water cooling towers.

The council has said it would save more than two billion litres of water a year that would otherwise be taken from the Murray.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#68 Post by Wayno » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:29 am

This pipeline is truly a good initiative. I wonder if all the water will be consumed by the parklands? maybe the left overs can be used further afield (longer pipe)...

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#69 Post by AG » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:26 am

Wayno wrote:This pipeline is truly a good initiative. I wonder if all the water will be consumed by the parklands? maybe the left overs can be used further afield (longer pipe)...
SA Water is expected to use some of the recycled water in its new headquarters being built in Victoria Square.
That's not much further afield I know, but hopefully other developers and owners of buildings in the city also follow on SA Water's lead.

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#70 Post by mattblack » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:33 am

With this project and the water rights attatched to the property bought out near Bourke by the Government the other day it could equal up to 28 Billion litres not taken from the Murray every year. A small step in the right direction me thinks. :D

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#71 Post by jk1237 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:40 am

an excellent project. Im just wondering if some other inner suburban councils are willing to pay a bit, to extend some off-shute pipes to water some parks in the eastern suburbs.
I ride through St Peters College every 2nd day. The water they must use in summer to keep it so nice must be phenomenal, so it would be great that it would allow for further expansion to areas just outside the parklands

Professor
High Rise Poster!

#72 Post by Professor » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:12 am

I walked through the parklands last night and they are green and really pleasant. To be able to have some areas like that all year around will be terrific.

Also saw the photo of the purple pipe being laid for the water (purple signifies not potable) and the diameter is quite large so it looks as if a decent volume of water will be pumped through the system.

If it is such a concern, maybe the pumping station could be located in the parkland preservation lady'sd front garden. That works for me.

Mants
Legendary Member!

#73 Post by Mants » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:50 am

jk1237 wrote:an excellent project. Im just wondering if some other inner suburban councils are willing to pay a bit, to extend some off-shute pipes to water some parks in the eastern suburbs.
I ride through St Peters College every 2nd day. The water they must use in summer to keep it so nice must be phenomenal, so it would be great that it would allow for further expansion to areas just outside the parklands
St Peters College pump directly from the Torrens river
(free of charge ive heard)

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#74 Post by Wayno » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:48 am

a small diversion pipe as it heads past morphettville racecourse would save HEAPS of water each year (albeit mostly bore water)...

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#75 Post by rhino » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:00 pm

Professor wrote:Also saw the photo of the purple pipe being laid for the water (purple signifies not potable)
I was a bit perplexed this morning when I heard that they will be using this recycled water to fill Rymill Lake. I have a water treatment and recycling system at home, but I'm quite restricted with regard to what I can do with that water. I certainly would not be allowed to fill a lake with it, where children might actually get into the water.
cheers,
Rhino