News & Discussion: Electricity Infrastructure

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
PeFe
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: Electricity Infrastructure

#481 Post by PeFe » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:48 pm

claybro wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:17 pm
Surely its sale (government portion) would depend on the lifespan of the battery? Do they even know how long these giant batteries will actually last being relatively new technology?
The battery is expected to last 20-30 years (or 10,000 cycles..charges and recharges).

Sorry no sources for this assertion, but I have read this in the past.

I am not ideologically opposed to the sale of the government section of the battery (especially it the proceeds were used to "seed" future storage options)
but my guess is that the function would stay the same.

The computers at Hornsdale monitor the National Electricity Market with intimate knowledge of who is producing how much power and where.

This is what makes the battery so useful in "grid stabilization"...it is like a "big brother" watching the grid, instantly adding power when "fluctuations" occur.

The health of the grid is number one priority, easily more important than power shortfalls in any given area.

bits
Legendary Member!

#482 Post by bits » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:53 am

I thought state Labor claimed the batteries wiped costs of nearly $50 million per year for frequency stability and grid restart services.

SBD
Legendary Member!

#483 Post by SBD » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:33 pm

bits wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:53 am
I thought state Labor claimed the batteries wiped costs of nearly $50 million per year for frequency stability and grid restart services.
I think I read that the batteries respond quickly to instability and so the grid operators do not need to pay as much or as often to the gas generators to keep things stable. I think this is a side-effect and is not built into the current grid services pricing model - which means that there is no financial or contract arrangement in place to ensure that the batteries do it, rather than doing it for free (most of the time) and just getting a polite "thank you".

PeFe
Legendary Member!

#484 Post by PeFe » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:55 pm

The electricity producers themselves use to provide grid stabilization services in the past.......an operator would be assigned that role during their shift.

This person would literally be watching the frequency stability of the grid constantly. I believe at its peak the electricity providers were charging $42,000 a mwh for these services.....

The Tesla big battery is not just monitoring South Australia, it is "looking at" every electricity producer involved in the National Energy Market.

All Australians living in South Australia, Victoria, New South Wales, Queensland and Tasmania benefit (and pay towards the cost of services) from the big battery.

https://reneweconomy.com.au/tesla-big-b ... ngs-95920/

PeFe
Legendary Member!

#485 Post by PeFe » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:43 pm

The Tailem Bend solar farm has started sending electricity into the grid.

https://reneweconomy.com.au/south-austr ... ion-56221/

PeFe
Legendary Member!

#486 Post by PeFe » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:50 pm

And a new gas plant to come online......eventually replacing aging equipment at Torrens Island facility, and will integrate "better" with renewables.

https://reneweconomy.com.au/agl-gets-re ... ant-15012/

PeFe
Legendary Member!

#487 Post by PeFe » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:24 pm

Great article from Renew Economy detailing the Tesla's battery response to an interstate power issue.
If you didn't understand why the battery is so important then you will after you read this.
How the Tesla big battery kept the lights on in South Australia

They say that lightning never strikes twice. But on August 25 last year a single lightning strike managed to take out two major circuits on the main transmission line linking NSW and Queensland.

The impact was almost immediate, and felt across Australia’s main grid. It caused load-shedding at a scale that made the much-talked about load shedding in Victoria in January’s heat wave look comparatively small beer.

We reported the events at the time, noting the irony of the Tesla big battery holding together the grid on the very first full day of work for the new prime minister, Scott Morrison, the man who had spent so much time promoting coal and ridiculing new technologies like the big battery.

Full article : https://reneweconomy.com.au/how-the-tes ... lia-20393/