COM: Seaford Rail Extension | $291m | 5.5km

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Will409
Legendary Member!

COM: Seaford Rail Extension | $291m | 5.5km

#1 Post by Will409 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:28 pm

Just found this report, the Final Report into the Seaford extension on the DTIE website which makes for some good bed time reading(report released October 2007).

Some points raised in the report:

- $56million allocated for 14 new railcars.
- Double track recommended by TransAdelaide over the entire line to facilitate better ontime performance (given the reliability of services on the Belair line, this is a wise move!).
- The line is currently unviable largely because of the present state of the track on the Noarlunga line but once this has been upgraded, the viability of the extension will be greatly improved. In addition, current residential population isn't high enough to justify the line although it is growing quickly.
- Track alignment to Aldinga to be identified.
Image LINK TO YOUTUBE PROFILE.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

Re: Noarlunga Centre - Seaford railway extension report

#2 Post by muzzamo » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:57 pm

surely the number 1 issue is that you need to buy new rollingstock, which would have to be diesel-electric. But yeah it makes for an interesting read. If only they hadn't torn up the marino-willunga line :-(

Wilfy 2007
High Rise Poster!

#3 Post by Wilfy 2007 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:51 pm

muzzamo wrote:surely the number 1 issue is that you need to buy new rollingstock, which would have to be diesel-electric. But yeah it makes for an interesting read. If only they hadn't torn up the marino-willunga line :-(
muzzamo,
A couple of weeks ago I sent a letter to the Government and th Opposition about rollingstock.
I thinck I said that 48 Railcars are needed, some to be ordered now and the rest later.
I sent the letter/email on the 5th of April, as yet I have not had a reply.

Regards,
Wilfy 2007.

kymbosa
High Rise Poster!

#4 Post by kymbosa » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:54 pm

I think any government will buy the minumum, cause the current stock can be converted into electrical trains. This is why the bannon labour government brought them.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#5 Post by Wayno » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:56 pm

Wilfy 2007 wrote:
muzzamo wrote:surely the number 1 issue is that you need to buy new rollingstock, which would have to be diesel-electric. But yeah it makes for an interesting read. If only they hadn't torn up the marino-willunga line :-(
muzzamo,
A couple of weeks ago I sent a letter to the Government and th Opposition about rollingstock.
I thinck I said that 48 Railcars are needed, some to be ordered now and the rest later.
I sent the letter/email on the 5th of April, as yet I have not had a reply.

Regards,
Wilfy 2007.
glad to see you taking the initiative!
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#6 Post by Norman » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:14 pm

I think the further extension to Aldinga is necessary, the whole area down there is bursting with developments.

Also, duplicating South Road from Seaford to Sellicks Beach would be a good idea.

Wilfy 2007
High Rise Poster!

#7 Post by Wilfy 2007 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:08 am

Norman wrote:I think the further extension to Aldinga is necessary, the whole area down there is bursting with developments.

Also, duplicating South Road from Seaford to Sellicks Beach would be a good idea.
Norman,
If the extension goes to Aldinga beach where would you have the terminus?
1 At Aldinga beach Road/Dover Street.
2 Quinliven Road/Aldinga Primary school
or
3 Bowering hill road/Bouke Road.
My maps are 2001, so the above may not be possible.

Regards,

Wilfy 2007.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#8 Post by Norman » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:49 am

I would run it down along South Road, then west at Aldinga Beach Road, possibly going underground, and then terminating at Aldinga Shopping Centre (Aldinga Beach Road/Rowley Road). The underground terminus would assist in not dropping property prices, but requites electrification.

Every second train would terminate at Seaford, wihile the other will terminate at Aldinga on a rotating basis.

There would then be a loop bus to the north of the station, and buses going to Sellicks Beach. At night, Aldinga Beach would become a Roam Zone.

Bulldozer
High Rise Poster!

#9 Post by Bulldozer » Wed May 28, 2008 8:24 am

Nice find Will409!
muzzamo wrote:If only they hadn't torn up the marino-willunga line :-(
Yeah a bit of a shame really, considering that it goes through a lot of suburbs now (Reynella, Morphett Vale, Hackham) and would be good for servicing the Woodcroft and Happy Valley area with rail. The reserved route for the extension through Seaford Rise also tracks roughly with the path of the old line from the Onkaparinga Council depot on Railway Road.

Nice to see though that the tunnel idea was dismissed as being as bonkers as I thought it was due to cost and topography. I wouldn't bother with a stop at "Seaford Meadows" or "Seaford Heights" (yay - let's build a major development right next door to southern Adelaide's landfill!) though, just stick with one at the "Seaford District Centre" to further encourage it to become the hub of the area and alter bus services to feed into it.

I wonder if the MASTEM model accounts for the price of fuel when modeling how many people take public transport?

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#10 Post by Howie » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:18 pm

There's an article/video/petition by MessengerNews which might interest you guys.
http://www.messengernews.com.au/article ... _news.html

Wilfy 2007
High Rise Poster!

#11 Post by Wilfy 2007 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:27 am

Howie wrote:There's an article/video/petition by MessengerNews which might interest you guys.
http://www.messengernews.com.au/article ... _news.html
Howie,

You got any idea how many people have signed this petition?
I have printed off my form, just need to fill it in and send it.

Regards,

Somebody
High Rise Poster!

#12 Post by Somebody » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:46 pm

Norman wrote:I think the further extension to Aldinga is necessary, the whole area down there is bursting with developments.
Is that kind of excessive urban sprawl a good thing? Sprawl all the way from Gawler to Aldinga or Sellicks Beach would sicken me.

Developments should be properly serviced by regional centres so there is no need to encourage unsustainable long distance commuting. Having said that, a Noarlunga-Seaford-Aldinga line would actually link the three main destinations in the area so it is not so CBD-centric - better so than the old Willunga line would have! :D

I see an issue with the Southern Suburbs of Adelaide as being that most of the population is over to the right, while the railway is to the left near the water. Who remembers the Noarlunga O-Bahn proposal? :roll: :twisted: :mrgreen:
The Gold Coast - Australia's centre for insipid, tacky & boring.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#13 Post by SRW » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:21 pm

Seems that Seven News will be running a sensationalist report about the extension (or lack thereof) in tomorrow night's bulletin.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#14 Post by Norman » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:22 pm

SRW wrote:Seems that Seven News will be running a sensationalist report about the extension (or lack thereof) in tomorrow night's bulletin.
My recorder will be ready.

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

#15 Post by rogue » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:54 pm

It was on tonight.