COM: Seaford Rail Extension | $291m | 5.5km

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: #UC: Noarlunga - Seaford rail extension

#271 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:29 pm

You're correct Shuz, but I think the Government identified land 'as far as Aldinga' a couple of years ago. A rough corridor can be seen in the 30-Year Plan; if you just look on Nearmap and match it up, you'll be able to work out the rough corridor for the future extension.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#272 Post by jk1237 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:07 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:if you just look on Nearmap and match it up, you'll be able to work out the rough corridor for the future extension.
pretty sure what you can see on nearmap is the former corridor of the old Willunga line that probably is still owned by the state. I bet this is the main reason why the Seaford Rise housing development left the corridor alone, not because of future planning, but because the state still owns most of the land of former railway lines in this state. In this case its good because the corridor maybe retured to a working train line. Towards Aldinga the former line veers inland (towards Willunga) so this is where the state will need to reserve/purchase land for future extension down to Aldinga

85trainfan
High Rise Poster!

#273 Post by 85trainfan » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:43 pm

Not alot of new work between Noarlunga Centre and the Old Honeypot rd Bridge, apart from the landscaping contractors using the Jefferies sprayer truck to place mulch onto the sides of the embankment.

Today saw anther Bridge segment pushed out from the northern end. The Southern end is now in place and awaiting the Northern end to meet up with it. There is only 3 (or 2, depending on length) segments left to be built and pushed into placed.

No new work was noted at the Northern end of the Seaford Meadows Depot.
At Seaford Meadows Station, the walkway leading to the Overhead walkway has been concreted, with the form work for the Down Platform ramp in place. I noticed today that the Up Platform only has Stairs and a Lift for access, while the down platform has a Lift,Ramp and Stairs???.
Both platforms shelters now have the Orange stripe installed, and the Up Platform was getting the Tactiles laid. Up on the Adjacent Seaford traffic is now on the original rd alignment, while the temporary rd has been ripped up and new kerbing for the Passenger drop off zone installed.
Due to this change, it's harder to get photos now :(

Shoring contractors are still working in the cutting between seaford rd and Lynton Tce, while Drainage contractors are working near the Lynton tce bridge

Seaford Station Platforms were getting the last remaining form work for the platform faces, and the walkway from the Park "N" Ride down to the Up platform and Bus interchange was being carved out of the Hill. Work is continuing on the Overhead Walkway, with the fancy stuff (forget the name of it at the moment) frame being installed on the outside of the main frame.
Regards Jarrod

Any posts made are my own opinion and do not represent any organisation with which I am associated.

85trainfan
High Rise Poster!

#274 Post by 85trainfan » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:59 pm

Update time again :) Project coming along nicely, with the bridge making a big difference to the landscape now.

no new work between Noarlunga Centre and the Onkaparinga Rail Bridge, with the exception of landscaping contractors replacing the footpaths under the Old honeypot Rd Bridge.
Concreting was taking place today on anther bridge segment at the Northern End, while on the completed southern end, small lights were being installed on the Hand Rails. These lights look like a permanent fixture as the wires look to be run through the handrails.

Not much new work at the Seaford Meadows Depot, the Maintence shed is still missing it's Southern wall and doors. At Seaford Meadows Station, work was continuing on the overhead walkway sides and ramps, with some fencing on the platforms being installed.

In the cutting between Seaford Rd and Lynton Tce, shoring contractors are still working on the walls near the Seaford Rd Bridge, while the Overhead crews are installing poles adjacent Lynton tce.

At seaford station, the Platform Faces are now completed apart from the Northern end under Lynton tce. 1/3 of the overhead canopy frame has been erected over the Southern part of the platform, with more structure parts arriving today. The Park N Ride car park and the Kiss N Go are have been fully sealed, with the Lighting poles were being unloaded today.
Workers were also working on the Overhead walkaway, with the side framing being installed.
Regards Jarrod

Any posts made are my own opinion and do not represent any organisation with which I am associated.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#275 Post by jk1237 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:50 pm

thanks for your photo updates 85trainfan. This project is almost on its final stages. When is the full electrification going to completed because at this rate the extension will be completed before we get new electric trains and we wont have enough existing trains to cover the new extension. One would think there would be atleast at 10-15% increase of commuters on the line once the extension is complete, and I dont think we would cope without the new trains.

85trainfan
High Rise Poster!

#276 Post by 85trainfan » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:18 pm

jk1237 wrote:thanks for your photo updates 85trainfan. This project is almost on its final stages. When is the full electrification going to completed because at this rate the extension will be completed before we get new electric trains and we wont have enough existing trains to cover the new extension. One would think there would be atleast at 10-15% increase of commuters on the line once the extension is complete, and I dont think we would cope without the new trains.
The original opening date was around March 2013(election Month), but apparently this has been put back to July 2013 now.I haven't seen any thing official about this yet(Only word from a contractor working on a part of the project), but all the signs that were around seaford that were proclaiming "The Trains are coming March 2013" have disapered in recent months.
The rest of the current Noarlunga line is due to Electrified about 6months after the Seaford Extension opens.
Regards Jarrod

85trainfan
High Rise Poster!

#277 Post by 85trainfan » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:19 pm

Hi all, Got a chance today to have a good look at the progress of works.
Not alot of new work between Noarlunga Centre and the Estuary Bridge, some plants have been planted on the Western bank of the cutting adjacent the Goldsmith Drive Bridge.

The Rail bridge over the Onkaparinga estuary, is close to having the main structure complete, with only 1 span to go. The span was having some concrete poured today, while at the Southern end of the bridge, workers have dismantled the casting basin and preparing the site for the Track bed.

At the new Seaford Meadows Depot, A Ballast Regulator and Tamper were working the track in the Stabiling Yard, with the Coleman Rail Hi Rail truck pushing 3 ballast hoppers around dumping ballast.
The Northern part of the yard now has the Overhead masts installed. One section is interesting in the way it's set up, 2 pole very close together (about 1 meter apart). Isolated/isolating section between depot and Mainline?? (a Photo below to show what i mean)
Ballast Regulator at work.
Hi Rail truck with Ballast Hoppers, with the Tamper in the foreground.

On the Southern side of the depot at the New Seaford Meadows Station, Workers were continuing work on the overhead walkways, Mostly focusing on the outside cladding framework. Some overhead supports have gone up over the Southern part of the station, These only look like overhead cable supports and not to do with the station roof (Could be wrong thou).
Up on the Seaford Road bridge, the Drop off/Bus stop guttering has been laid, with a large footpath area visible. Adjacent the bridge on the Eastern side is the site access rd, with traffic controllers directing traffic here. Today also saw SAPOL have an officer present, Apparently alot of people can't follow the speed signs or directions which have resulted in a few near misses. While i was on site, i saw a couple of cars warned for speeding through the work site. If you do travel through here please follow the signage!
Ballast Train filling area (southern side of depot)

Between Seaford Rd and Lynton tce, crew were unloading sleepers and a turnout kit (yes it has a name i found out today, Thanks Ray :thumbsup: ) (Set of points made offsite, then brought to the site and assemble like giant Lego kit) Piles of ballast were stacked on the Up line at this location as well.

Seaford Station is coming along nicely, The frame for steps from the overhead walkway to the Up platform have been installed, and anther part of the station roof structure installed around it.
Workers were also setting out the form work on the Up platform adjacent the steps and bus interchange ready for concreting.
The Park N Ride car park is now all sealed, with a small shelter at the drop off zone being installed.

Regards Jarrod

85trainfan
High Rise Poster!

#278 Post by 85trainfan » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:38 pm

Some photos of Today's Works.

The Last gap to be Filled on the Onkaparinga Valley Rail Bridge. Usually when the Northern Spans are pushed out, River Road is closed, usually with message boards about a week in advance. So far no signs have been spotted.

Looking back across the Bridge towards Noarlunga.

Loading Ballast at the end of Saubiers Rd (To the left of the photo is the New Railcar Depot, and behind it is Seaford Meadows Station.

Reversing up the line to drop ballast adjacent the Seaford Depot.

Seaford Meadows Station (from the Rear ) :P

Ballast Regulator and Tamper stabled in the Depot.

Seaford Station Turnout, located just North of the Lynton Tce Bridge.

Seaford Station. Overhead walkway coming along nicely, Adelaide end of the Up Platform can now be built as the site access rd has been removed.
Regards Jarrod

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#279 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:46 pm

Thanks amigo! Looking great, the pace of the work at the moment seems pretty incredible!
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

85trainfan
High Rise Poster!

#280 Post by 85trainfan » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:12 pm

Bridge still not linked as of today.
I think the Adelaide Now story was done to early, At the Northern casting basin, workers still have the framework in place for anther segment to be cast. A concrete pump was setting up onsite this afternoon, possibly for a concrete pour tomorrow?

Meanwhile elsewhere on site.

Up,Down (Between the Bridge and Seaford Meadows) and Depot tracks all ballasted and ploughed. (not sure about having been tamped, never saw the tamper on the mainline, just the depot.)
The view of seaford meadows from the new housing estate has now been blocked by a Cream colorbond fence :thumbsdown: (have no doubt it will have a different color scheme courtesy of the local "artists" very soon). A big ballast pile is still visible at the end of Saubiers Rd, with the ballast "train" stabled around the Eastern side of the Depot building. Crew were spreading the base layer of ballast under the Seaford Rd bridge today.
Seaford Rd was closed over the weekend, but the only visible sign of any work i could see today, was a small trench in the middle of the road on the Eastern side of the Bridge approaches :eh:
Track laying has begun in the cutting between Lynton Tce and Seaford Rd, with the Northern points of the Seaford Crossover now in place just North of the Lynto Tce Bridge.
At seaford station, the Up platform was getting the concrete top poured on the Northern end while crews still work on the Overhead walkway. the Coast to Vines Rail Trail under Lynton tce, and which forms part of the Eastern pedestrian access to the station has been leveled and ready for sealing. The carpark lights and security camera towers continue to rise up intermitenley.
Still a fair bit of work to go, but i reckon they will make the deadline of March 2013
Regards Jarrod

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#281 Post by neoballmon » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:05 pm

Some great photos 85trainfan! Show's a lot more than is visible from a car. And very informative. Thanks :)

Looks like they've laid the turning lane down on Griffiths Drive, after a long time having the road partially blocked. Now to just install the signals and they're done down there.

And the Seaford Road bridge...Surely this will be opening up soon.
Quick question, this bridge is obviously, considerably wider than the road needs, for the drop off bay. But has this actually been built in prediction for widening the road sometime in the future? They have room all the way along the road.

And now I'd just like to have a winge about something that annoys me everytime I visit. At Griffiths Road, they really should have tunneled under the road, ready for the Aldinga extension. It would have been so easy with the road as it was. Now, once they're ready to do it, there will be an intersection, access to the train station, and it will be significantly harder to achieve.
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

drsmith
Legendary Member!

#282 Post by drsmith » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:21 am

neoballmon wrote:And now I'd just like to have a winge about something that annoys me everytime I visit. At Griffiths Road, they really should have tunneled under the road, ready for the Aldinga extension. It would have been so easy with the road as it was. Now, once they're ready to do it, there will be an intersection, access to the train station, and it will be significantly harder to achieve.
Check out the following image from Nearmap,

http://www.nearmap.com/[email protected],1 ... d=20120706

Any future extension will go under Griffiths Road.

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#283 Post by neoballmon » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:50 pm

drsmith wrote: Check out the following image from Nearmap,

http://www.nearmap.com/[email protected],1 ... d=20120706

Any future extension will go under Griffiths Road.
Yeah, I know they will go under Griffiths Road, but 3 months ago, this was simply a 2+2 lane with a wide median strip, which would be easy and (comparitivly) cheap to go under. In 3 months, there will be 2+2 lanes, with a right turn lane in the median, an intersection and access on the northern side. It just complicates it significantly. And increases the cost, for something that they basically know will happen in the next decade.

On a lighter note, I drove down River Road today. Looks like they've pushed out all the bridge segments. There's simply a tiny gap (hard to tell from so far away, but would be no more than a foot wide) for them to join the two carriageways.
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

drsmith
Legendary Member!

#284 Post by drsmith » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:40 pm

I can't see how it complicates it significantly. The turning lane can easily be removed.

The rationale may have been that the cost of the turning lane and its access to the station was less than the opportunity cost of a rail underpass and associated bridge works that would not be used for several years at least.

85trainfan
High Rise Poster!

#285 Post by 85trainfan » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:48 pm

Hi all,
The bridge is now complete and pushed in place.workers are now laying the cable ducts and drains onto the deck. Seafood meadows station now has that awfull grey and orange cladding( similar to the bridges) on the overhead walkway. The depot is nearly complete, just missing overhead wires and a few small items in the sheds.
Crews are now working on the turnouts under the seafood rd bridge,that control the entry/exit to the new depot. The drop off zone on the Seaford Rd bridge is nearing completion, has been cemented and paved, just needs a new coat of bitumem.
"neoballmon, the Seaford rd drop off zone was mainly a combination of not being able to use the existing bridge that was there, and the need to keep Seaford rd open while building the new bridge. soultion = build northern section first,switch traffic, knock down old bridge, and build new southern deck, switch traffic back to old alignment. Then use northern section as a drop off zone safely away from cars.
Seaford Station is coming along nicely, Down platform is now completely cemented, and the walkway from the road above is now leveled. The up platform should be concreted by now. The fence on the retaining wall between the car park and the bus interchange is nearly complete.
Once I get my computer back next week I will post some pictures, currently using an I pad to type this and I already miss my key board :twisted:
Regards Jarrod