News & Discussion: O-Bahn

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: O-Bahn

#436 Post by Aidan » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:30 am

Dog wrote:The Advertiser doesn't waste any time in teaming up with the opposition to criticise the latest bit of infrastructure,
’Twas the Sunday Mail and it'd not as if this is newly announced. They waited until they got their facts straight. They should be commended for this.
lite on mentioning that the new proposal is more expensive because it is longer and two way instead of one way.
ITYF the new proposal is shorter! Not that it matters, as it's the result that counts, not how it's achieved.

The two way v one way issue is more important, but as the congestion is primarily in one direction, do we really need a two way solution? And ISTR there was a two way version of the earlier proposal — how much would that cost?
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Waewick

#437 Post by Waewick » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:58 am

Aidan wrote:
Dog wrote:The Advertiser doesn't waste any time in teaming up with the opposition to criticise the latest bit of infrastructure,
’Twas the Sunday Mail and it'd not as if this is newly announced. They waited until they got their facts straight. They should be commended for this.
lite on mentioning that the new proposal is more expensive because it is longer and two way instead of one way.
ITYF the new proposal is shorter! Not that it matters, as it's the result that counts, not how it's achieved.

The two way v one way issue is more important, but as the congestion is primarily in one direction, do we really need a two way solution? And ISTR there was a two way version of the earlier proposal — how much would that cost?
I think SA has had enough of the 1 way solutions :lol:

ChillyPhilly

#438 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:17 am

Caught a train from town as far as Smithfield on Saturday afternoon. Then was on the exact train the next morning when that fatal incident happened at Greenfields.

Long story short: Gawler line electrification >>>>>>> a little O-Bahn tunnel. Electrification is sorely needed.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Tonsley213
High Rise Poster!

#439 Post by Tonsley213 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:33 am

ChillyPhilly wrote:Caught a train from town as far as Smithfield on Saturday afternoon. Then was on the exact train the next morning when that fatal incident happened at Greenfields.

Long story short: Gawler line electrification >>>>>>> a little O-Bahn tunnel. Electrification is sorely needed.
Could you please explain what this post exactly means?

ChillyPhilly

#440 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:55 pm

It was the furthest I'd ever travelled on the Gawler line. So many stations are sub-par and electrification would not only be a catalyst for improving the infrastructure and related services, but it would in turn be a boon for communities along the line too.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#441 Post by ml69 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:49 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:It was the furthest I'd ever travelled on the Gawler line. So many stations are sub-par and electrification would not only be a catalyst for improving the infrastructure and related services, but it would in turn be a boon for communities along the line too.
Spot on ...

duke
High Rise Poster!

#442 Post by duke » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:11 am

Not sure if this video has been posted before. It is a two part video from the early 90's of the o-bahn.
The interesting part comes around the 8minute mark where it shows photos and videos of other guided busways around the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... OB24#t=539

One thing to note is that there is an example of buses with guide wheels at the back also. I recall there being issues getting new busses because the back wheels rub on the track.
Surely we could just put back guide wheels on it like they have done overseas.

The Scooter Guy

#443 Post by The Scooter Guy » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:16 pm

duke wrote:One thing to note is that there is an example of buses with guide wheels at the back also. I recall there being issues getting new busses because the back wheels rub on the track.
One bus (fleet number 1115) has this method a few years ago.
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#444 Post by monotonehell » Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:30 pm

duke wrote:Not sure if this video has been posted before. It is a two part video from the early 90's of the o-bahn.
The interesting part comes around the 8minute mark where it shows photos and videos of other guided busways around the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... OB24#t=539

One thing to note is that there is an example of buses with guide wheels at the back also. I recall there being issues getting new busses because the back wheels rub on the track.
That's one thing that annoys me when talking to people about the OBahn. The standard line is, "if the OBahn's so good why is it the ONLY guided busway in the World?" Completely ignorant of all the guided busways in existence. Many people are also unaware that the OBahn is now not the longest guided busway in the World after the Cambridge busway opened back in 2011.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

jimbly
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#445 Post by jimbly » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:46 pm

This from INDaily....
Rundle Road will be closed and returned to parklands under an audacious plan to “transform the city’s East End”.
The Weatherill Government this morning revealed it had revised its planned $160 million plan to extend the O-Bahn under Hackney Road to Rundle Street.
http://indaily.com.au/news/2015/02/25/r ... bahn-plan/

Nathan

#446 Post by Nathan » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:54 pm

Yes! That's almost exactly what I've proposed in the past after the previous plan. The only change I'd make is to surface the bus tunnels a bit closer to East Tce and lower the road slightly so that there can be a land bridge across the two halves of Rymill Park just east of the lake (where the current parklands path is).

(and look, separated bike lanes on East Tce.)

mgb
High Rise Poster!

#447 Post by mgb » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:57 pm

Diagram from in daily article:
O-Bahn-2.jpg
O-Bahn-2.jpg (291.02 KiB) Viewed 2761 times
It looks like it following the old tram route through the parklands? Plus teases with "Potential for future tram alignment" across the parklands for a future Norwood tram.

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#448 Post by Kasey771 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:09 pm

Nathan wrote:Yes! That's almost exactly what I've proposed in the past after the previous plan. The only change I'd make is to surface the bus tunnels a bit closer to East Tce and lower the road slightly so that there can be a land bridge across the two halves of Rymill Park just east of the lake (where the current parklands path is).

(and look, separated bike lanes on East Tce.)
shh don't tell too many people, the shemozzle over Frome Stret means anything for cycling will be loudly pooh-poohed:(

This is a much better (shorter tunnel = faster buildtime=less disruption and yes it even includes Cycle paths) option than the bells and whistles tunnel the whole way option. However, I fear that the offering up of new parklands will STILL not get the parklands lobby onside. :wallbash: :wallbash:
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

Llessur2002

#449 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:12 pm

Bloody awesome suggestion!

Aside from the obvious transportation benefits, anything that works towards increasing use of the parklands is a great thing in my opinion. They're clearly one of Adelaide's greatest yet most underused assets - in any other city they'd be teeming with people, bikes, events, pop-ups, cafes, festivals, sports yet most of ours sit largely empty most of the time.

This will turn a good event space into a great event space and should be used accordingly. Plus, diverting through traffic away from Rundle Street will be great for the area - hopefully paving the way (no pun intended) for an eventual single-direction shared zone with greater space for outdoor dining and more of a focus on pedestrians...

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#450 Post by monotonehell » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:42 pm

This will help deliver the buses to Grenfell street, but they still need to work out how to better coordinate/organise/spread the bus stops for the peak times.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.