News & Discussion: O-Bahn

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: News & Discussion: O-Bahn

#1306 Post by Norman » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:06 am

It looks horrible, and should have more than 300 spaces. But at least they finally have SOMETHING more than phone chargers at train stations.

bits
Legendary Member!

#1307 Post by bits » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:52 am

Paradise has a HUGE car park available to it already at the Paradise Church and massive good on street parking on Darley road.
That car park is nowhere near full during the day, is free and already exists.
There is a stated 875 existing car parks.
There is hundreds of more free car parks every day already available.
Why do we need to build this?

fishinajar
High Rise Poster!

#1308 Post by fishinajar » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:22 am

PeFe wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:52 am
The Liberals plan for a park'n'ride at the Paradise O-Bahn Interchange.
From The Advertiser
SA election 2018: Liberals promise Paradise Park ‘n’ Ride if they win office

POLITICAL DRIVE: An artist’s impression of the Liberals’ plan for a $7.5 million a Park ‘n’ Ride facility at Paradise.

THE Liberal Party has fired the first salvo as it seeks to prevent Nick Xenophon returning to State Parliament, pledging $7.5 million to build a Park ‘n’ Ride facility at Paradise if it wins the state election.

Opposition Leader Steven Marshall said the Park ‘n’ Ride was “desperately needed” and the commitment was the result of Hartley MP Vincent Tarzia’s “concerted campaign” for the project.

Mr Tarzia faces an uphill battle to retain Hartley at March’s election, in a tussle against SA Best leader Nick Xenophon and former Labor education minister Grace Portolesi.

A new carpark at the Paradise interchange was promised by Labor in the lead-up to the 2014 election, but abandoned after its carpark tax was defeated in the Upper House.

Mr Marshall said the proposed facility would provide more than 300 new parking spaces for users of the O-Bahn tunnel, easing the “parking and congestion problems” facing local residents.

“If elected, a Liberal gov­ernment will deliver this important project for public transport users in the northeastern suburbs who have been waiting for years for better parking infrastructure at Paradise,” he said.

Full article : http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 9e5fa10da9
Lol :lol:

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1309 Post by Nathan » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:49 am

Paradise Interchange - Can't have an apartment building adjacent because it will attract too much traffic, build a car park instead...

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#1310 Post by Pistol » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:14 pm

$7.5m pledged, whoa slow down Libs!!!
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

Torrens_5022
High Rise Poster!

#1311 Post by Torrens_5022 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:00 pm

Is this idea a joke, it's so f*ing stupid I see the picture and see a roof top carpark, under that carpark could be a shopping centre a supermarket and some shops under that is the bus interchange. you could easily have the shopping centre at the same level as Darley Road. This proposal is a joke, would be nice to see the O'Bahn as a TOD but thats too f*ing hard and we can't even have some 4 story apartment buildings. All we end up with an desolate bus interchange that is served by dozens of buses an hour, hundreds of people passing through but no shops nearby, does Paradise even have toilets?

adelaide transport
High Rise Poster!

#1312 Post by adelaide transport » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:27 pm

Last thing we need there are more shops-its a bus interchange for goodness sake with car parking and drop off zones, There are plenty of shopping centres within reasonable distance to the centre.
As for apartments so far it isn't happening due to residents objections,and its not likely to attract developers.

bits
Legendary Member!

#1313 Post by bits » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:37 pm

Roof top carpark of your shops would be used by the shoppers, where do the bus park n ride users park?
Or park n ride users get parks and shoppers do not.

Then you get the complexity of who would own and run what Government VS private etc. Government doesn't typical run shopping malls.

adelaide transport
High Rise Poster!

#1314 Post by adelaide transport » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:53 pm

Apart from not needing shops there,it would be an absolute waste of space-it is intended to be a car park.People just want to get on/off a bus to either go home or head into the City.
The aim is to encourage more people to use the O-Bahn-the more people that use it the more opportunity for the Governent to improve/increase services.

PeFe
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1315 Post by PeFe » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:06 pm

The Paradise Interchange and the Modbury Interchange must have the best frequencies for public transport in Adelaide.

My guess there is a bus every 2 minutes during the day, and probably every 10 minutes at night, nowhere else in the metro area gets this level of service....
and how many people live close, or can walk to this great public transport.......very very few...
This is the great failing of the O-Bahn experiment, inability to increase patronage (easily) by bringing people closer to the node points (ie the interchanges)

All is not so gloomy though, Tea Tree Plaza have recently announced an upgrade to the shopping centre (it desperately to get rid of the downmarket 1960's feel it currently has) The interchange could easily be turned into a tod (paid for by a developer in exchange for the privilege of building apartments over the top)
Would this work at Modbury? I think it would....the hospital is nearby and I am sure quality apartments would attract nurses/doctors/health workers etc

And if Modbury was successful as a tod, then i think it will be easier to rezone around the Paradise Interchange, hopefully this will be possible in the near future especially if the park'n'ride is never built.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#1316 Post by Goodsy » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:12 pm

This Park'n'Ride would have already been built and people would have already enjoyed the benefits of extra parking at Paradise had the Liberal party and Xenophon Party not blocked the State Government’s plans to fund this project in 2014.

Thanks to Liberal Leader Steven Marshall and Nick Xenophon Party blocking the Transport Development Levy, funding for Paradise and another seven Park ‘n’ Ride facilities being scoped was blocked.
labors response from the 7 News Facebook page

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

#1317 Post by citywatcher » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:44 pm

They paved paradise put up a parking lot

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#1318 Post by Kasey771 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:45 pm

citywatcher wrote:They paved paradise put up a parking lot

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk
Lol. You win the internet for today.ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

adelaide transport
High Rise Poster!

#1319 Post by adelaide transport » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:18 pm

PeFe wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:06 pm
The Paradise Interchange and the Modbury Interchange must have the best frequencies for public transport in Adelaide.

My guess there is a bus every 2 minutes during the day, and probably every 10 minutes at night, nowhere else in the metro area gets this level of service....
and how many people live close, or can walk to this great public transport.......very very few...
This is the great failing of the O-Bahn experiment, inability to increase patronage (easily) by bringing people closer to the node points (ie the interchanges)

All is not so gloomy though, Tea Tree Plaza have recently announced an upgrade to the shopping centre (it desperately to get rid of the downmarket 1960's feel it currently has) The interchange could easily be turned into a tod (paid for by a developer in exchange for the privilege of building apartments over the top)
Would this work at Modbury? I think it would....the hospital is nearby and I am sure quality apartments would attract nurses/doctors/health workers etc

And if Modbury was successful as a tod, then i think it will be easier to rezone around the Paradise Interchange, hopefully this will be possible in the near future especially if the park'n'ride is never built.
In the weekday peak buses leave TTP approx. every minute including expresses. Paradise Interchange approx. every 2 minutes.
weekday off peak-day time .TTP approx every 5-6 minutes. Paradise I/c approx. every 4 minutes.
Night times TTP and Paradise Interchange every 15 minutes.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1320 Post by monotonehell » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:34 pm

PeFe wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:06 pm

What? The O-Bahn is not a train. The vehicles can and do leave the track to collect and drop passengers close to their homes over a wide area.

Your point doesn't make sense.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.