News & Discussion: O-Bahn

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Message
Author
User avatar
PeFe
Legendary Member!
Posts: 853
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:47 am
Has thanked: 37 times
Been thanked: 105 times

Re: News & Discussion: O-Bahn

#1456 Post by PeFe » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:32 pm

And the locals objected to 4 storey apartment block near the Paradise Interchange because if everyone in the new block owned a car there would be an extra 32 cars in the area...

So the locals won the fight against the apartment block, but don't seem very interested in this monstrous 1970's throwback car park....here comes 1,000 cars every day.....

Just wait until the car park is built and there is a massive traffic jam every morning and evening as 1,000 commuters try to drive in and out at approximately the same time.....

And I have bo doubt that the people who do use the car park would be able to continue their journey home by bus.....but they choose not to....

The O-Bahn stops should be tods....not car parks, that's a total fail in my view from the DPTI and successive governments, and a total fail from a general cultural point of view.

I hope the render of the car park is totally accurate so that the 1970's car culture sits there staring back at the local residents every day.

User avatar
1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:01 pm
Has thanked: 23 times
Been thanked: 18 times

Re: News & Discussion: O-Bahn

#1457 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:01 pm

PeFe wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:32 pm
And the locals objected to 4 storey apartment block near the Paradise Interchange because if everyone in the new block owned a car there would be an extra 32 cars in the area...
The irony is those 32 cars wouldn't be used every day, since the residents will be taking public transport most days. Meanwhile the commuter car park will be used every day.

d3v310per
Sen-Rookie-Sational
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri May 24, 2019 10:52 am
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: News & Discussion: O-Bahn

#1458 Post by d3v310per » Mon May 27, 2019 3:57 pm

O-Bahn extension may only go as far as Modbury Heights

A proposed O-Bahn extension will likely only go as far as Modbury Heights — and not to Golden Grove as originally proposed, Tea Tree Gully Council says.

Tea Tree Gully Council’s acting director of assets and environment, Justin Robbins, told the The Messenger he understood “the government is looking to extend the O-Bahn to Golden Grove Rd” from Tea Tree Plaza — and not beyond that.

A council report showed the plan could involve an “exclusive corridor” along Golden Grove Rd for buses.

The full details of extension is expected to be revealed in the State Government’s North East Public Transport Study — likely to be completed this year.

The study will consider several O-Bahn options including a dedicated corridor, similar to the existing one between Tea Tree Plaza and Gilberton.

Council documents discussing the extension refer also to the likelihood of “on-road priority bus lanes similar to those installed along Hackney Rd”.

Transport Minister Stephan Knoll told Parliament on April 4 the study was set to come across his desk “within the next few weeks”.

The State Government is not saying when it will be released.

Meanwhile, the council will consider introducing resident parking permits for streets east of Tea Tree Plaza and a driverless bus to ease congestion in the Modbury precinct, following the release of its own transport plan.

The council will consider enforcing permits between North East Rd and Smart Rd, but refuses to say which streets in particular will be affected.

Mr Robbins said some streets south of the Modbury Hospital had been under pressure “from time to time” by hospital staff members’ parking.

The council was considering a trial of a driverless “autonomous” bus service, similar to the Olli vehicle at Glenelg and the FLEX at the Tonsley Innovation District.

“This idea is still only conceptual as a way to promote other modes of transport in the Modbury Precinct, other than driving and parking,” Mr Robbins said.

In addition, an on-demand bus service to the plaza and the civic centre was a possibility.

The council also says it will consider lobbying the State Government on:

A plan for more direct and regular bus services between the Lyell McEwin and Modbury hospitals.
Modbury Hospital implementing higher rates of paid parking for workers with fees that are higher than Metrocard fares to encourage more public transport usage and to discourage parking in local side streets close to the hospital.

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 3425
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:39 pm
Has thanked: 53 times
Been thanked: 118 times

Re: News & Discussion: O-Bahn

#1459 Post by Waewick » Mon May 27, 2019 9:14 pm

Really strange article that one, I'm at a loss to what is actually happening.

This article doesn't seem to be based on anything?

Eurostar
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 458
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:44 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 27 times

Re: News & Discussion: O-Bahn

#1460 Post by Eurostar » Mon May 27, 2019 11:40 pm

d3v310per wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 3:57 pm
O-Bahn extension may only go as far as Modbury Heights

A proposed O-Bahn extension will likely only go as far as Modbury Heights — and not to Golden Grove as originally proposed, Tea Tree Gully Council says.

Tea Tree Gully Council’s acting director of assets and environment, Justin Robbins, told the The Messenger he understood “the government is looking to extend the O-Bahn to Golden Grove Rd” from Tea Tree Plaza — and not beyond that.

A council report showed the plan could involve an “exclusive corridor” along Golden Grove Rd for buses.

The full details of extension is expected to be revealed in the State Government’s North East Public Transport Study — likely to be completed this year.

The study will consider several O-Bahn options including a dedicated corridor, similar to the existing one between Tea Tree Plaza and Gilberton.

Council documents discussing the extension refer also to the likelihood of “on-road priority bus lanes similar to those installed along Hackney Rd”.

Transport Minister Stephan Knoll told Parliament on April 4 the study was set to come across his desk “within the next few weeks”.

The State Government is not saying when it will be released.

Meanwhile, the council will consider introducing resident parking permits for streets east of Tea Tree Plaza and a driverless bus to ease congestion in the Modbury precinct, following the release of its own transport plan.

The council will consider enforcing permits between North East Rd and Smart Rd, but refuses to say which streets in particular will be affected.

Mr Robbins said some streets south of the Modbury Hospital had been under pressure “from time to time” by hospital staff members’ parking.

The council was considering a trial of a driverless “autonomous” bus service, similar to the Olli vehicle at Glenelg and the FLEX at the Tonsley Innovation District.

“This idea is still only conceptual as a way to promote other modes of transport in the Modbury Precinct, other than driving and parking,” Mr Robbins said.

In addition, an on-demand bus service to the plaza and the civic centre was a possibility.

The council also says it will consider lobbying the State Government on:

A plan for more direct and regular bus services between the Lyell McEwin and Modbury hospitals.
Modbury Hospital implementing higher rates of paid parking for workers with fees that are higher than Metrocard fares to encourage more public transport usage and to discourage parking in local side streets close to the hospital.
Maybe there should be a 561 that runs from Modbury to Lyell McEwin via Smart Road, McIntyre Road(express), Bridge Road, Smith Road, Park Terrace, Commercial Road, John Rice Avenue, Haydown Road.

User avatar
Algernon
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1100
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:46 pm
Location: Moravia
Has thanked: 305 times
Been thanked: 144 times

Re: News & Discussion: O-Bahn

#1461 Post by Algernon » Wed May 29, 2019 7:13 pm

Are they actually extending the Obahn, or just painting some red lines on the road and giving buses a 5 second jump on everyone at the stop lights?

User avatar
The Scooter Guy
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1516
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:45 pm
Location: Anywhere!
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 88 times
Contact:

Re: News & Discussion: O-Bahn

#1462 Post by The Scooter Guy » Thu May 30, 2019 6:20 pm

Algernon wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 7:13 pm
Are they actually extending the Obahn, or just painting some red lines on the road and giving buses a 5 second jump on everyone at the stop lights?
For both, the roads are meant to be widened. The large spaces of land next to most parts of Golden Grove Rd have allowed such work to be carried out in future years since it was first built.
The True Location of Tea Tree Gully is in any state but yours.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests