News & Discussion: O-Bahn

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: O-Bahn

#766 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:29 am

Pretty sure it will have some sort of anti-car mechanism built into the tracks.

If there isn't and one person manages to navigate the tunnel successfully in a car, that's only just going to encourage copycats.

I was only thinking the other day too - we still don't know what is the long-term plan for the O-Bahn itself. The tracks are approaching 30 years of age - five years past the 25 year structural lifespan of the concrete blocks. Are these due to be replaced or will they be worn out until absolutely rendered completely and utterly useless? (Anybody remember the state of the Glenelg tram line prior to re-sleepering works).
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#767 Post by Norman » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:57 am

5 years ago engineers declared that the track was good for an additional 25 years, so I guess time will tell.

rhino

#768 Post by rhino » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:28 pm

Norman wrote:5 years ago engineers declared that the track was good for an additional 25 years, so I guess time will tell.
It would have been ridiculous to build the tunnel if this was not the case, surely?
cheers,
Rhino

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#769 Post by Brucetiki » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:36 pm

[Shuz] wrote:Pretty sure it will have some sort of anti-car mechanism built into the tracks.

If there isn't and one person manages to navigate the tunnel successfully in a car, that's only just going to encourage copycats.

I was only thinking the other day too - we still don't know what is the long-term plan for the O-Bahn itself. The tracks are approaching 30 years of age - five years past the 25 year structural lifespan of the concrete blocks. Are these due to be replaced or will they be worn out until absolutely rendered completely and utterly useless? (Anybody remember the state of the Glenelg tram line prior to re-sleepering works).
I thought the open pits served that purpose?

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#770 Post by Norman » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:45 pm

rhino wrote:
Norman wrote:5 years ago engineers declared that the track was good for an additional 25 years, so I guess time will tell.
It would have been ridiculous to build the tunnel if this was not the case, surely?
Well, they could always rebuild the current track.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#771 Post by monotonehell » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:23 pm

Last year, during the early stages of planning, the engineers were looking at different options to exclude non-obahn vehicles from the tunnel. There were considering things like barrier gates. I don't know what technology they ended on, but at the time I pointed out that no matter what they use, people are always going to tailgate buses and follow them in and pointed them to this video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0wY-hvMC44
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

fishinajar
High Rise Poster!

#772 Post by fishinajar » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:35 pm

I think the benefit to emergency vehicles would be huge if it were road surface. We have more tech. now. Traffic cameras could be positioned at both ends. License plates could be electronically checked. Hell...boom gates, bollards or pop up tyre spikes could be installed to take care of any unapproved vehicles that enter.

fishinajar
High Rise Poster!

#773 Post by fishinajar » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:37 pm

[Shuz] wrote:Pretty sure it will have some sort of anti-car mechanism built into the tracks.

I did ask a while back how future proof the tunnel would be for trams and or double decker buses. If I remember correctly you burned me for my comments shuz ;)

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#774 Post by monotonehell » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:06 am

fishinajar wrote:I think the benefit to emergency vehicles would be huge if it were road surface. We have more tech. now. Traffic cameras could be positioned at both ends. License plates could be electronically checked. Hell...boom gates, bollards or pop up tyre spikes could be installed to take care of any unapproved vehicles that enter.
People's faith in technology in the face of the actions of people is misplaced. Idiots can be very cunning. See above video.

rubberman

#775 Post by rubberman » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:24 pm

monotonehell wrote:
fishinajar wrote:I think the benefit to emergency vehicles would be huge if it were road surface. We have more tech. now. Traffic cameras could be positioned at both ends. License plates could be electronically checked. Hell...boom gates, bollards or pop up tyre spikes could be installed to take care of any unapproved vehicles that enter.
People's faith in technology in the face of the actions of people is misplaced. Idiots can be very cunning. See above video.
I agree that there's almost no way to idiot-proof the entrance, cameras and hefty fines would at least provide some tax revenue.

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

#776 Post by citywatcher » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:32 pm

Won't be track or road
Will be concrete base with concrete kerbing to guide the buses

duke
High Rise Poster!

#777 Post by duke » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:47 pm

I like these

ChillyPhilly

#778 Post by ChillyPhilly » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:18 am

duke wrote:I like these

That's awesome!
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#779 Post by monotonehell » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:28 am

Very clever. It would be a little better if the water fell directly into a drain instead of pooling.

Still would not stop someone zen navigating behind a bus.

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

#780 Post by citywatcher » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:29 pm

The viaduct behind the wine centre that runs under Hackney Rd has created a challenge