News & Discussion: O-Bahn

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: O-Bahn

#1321 Post by claybro » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:03 pm

The point if I read it correctly is that the frequency of service only happens adjacent to the track/interchanges themselves. The drop off/pickup for most is once the bus leaves the track to various routes, where frequency of individual buse routes are like everywhere else in Adelaide. Fact is, except forModbury, there is little/no high density commercial or residential development any where near the interchanges, which is a shame.

adelaide transport
High Rise Poster!

#1322 Post by adelaide transport » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:49 pm

Except for C1's most routes have a 15 minute peak hour frequency.C1's approx. every 5 minutes. During the day a number of routes to and from the City times still have 15 minute frequencies which is pretty good.
Some feeder services during off peak with 30 minute frequencies have low passenger numbers.

timtam20292
Legendary Member!

#1323 Post by timtam20292 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:47 am

Torrens_5022 wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:00 pm
Is this idea a joke, it's so f*ing stupid I see the picture and see a roof top carpark, under that carpark could be a shopping centre a supermarket and some shops under that is the bus interchange. you could easily have the shopping centre at the same level as Darley Road. This proposal is a joke, would be nice to see the O'Bahn as a TOD but thats too f*ing hard and we can't even have some 4 story apartment buildings. All we end up with an desolate bus interchange that is served by dozens of buses an hour, hundreds of people passing through but no shops nearby, does Paradise even have toilets?

There are toilets at Paradise interchange.

Waewick

#1324 Post by Waewick » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:34 pm

Goodsy wrote:
This Park'n'Ride would have already been built and people would have already enjoyed the benefits of extra parking at Paradise had the Liberal party and Xenophon Party not blocked the State Government’s plans to fund this project in 2014.

Thanks to Liberal Leader Steven Marshall and Nick Xenophon Party blocking the Transport Development Levy, funding for Paradise and another seven Park ‘n’ Ride facilities being scoped was blocked.
labors response from the 7 News Facebook page
So labor announce a project without funding and conplain when no one likes their idea to raise the funds.

Pretty much sums up SA Labor right there.

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#1325 Post by Kasey771 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:42 pm

Do I detect some disdain for the idea of park n ride facilities? If so can someone please explain the thinking behind the opposition to such facilities?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

Nathan

#1326 Post by Nathan » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:05 pm

Kasey771 wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:42 pm
Do I detect some disdain for the idea of park n ride facilities? If so can someone please explain the thinking behind the opposition to such facilities?

Mostly that they're a band-aid, least amount of effort, "solution". Sure, getting people to park and ride is better than having them park in the city, but it's much better to address why they need to drive at all. At the very least, have the park and ride as part of a bigger interchange upgrade, rather than the only thing.

SBD

#1327 Post by SBD » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:43 am

Nathan wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:05 pm
Kasey771 wrote:

Mostly that they're a band-aid, least amount of effort, "solution". Sure, getting people to park and ride is better than having them park in the city, but it's much better to address why they need to drive at all. At the very least, have the park and ride as part of a bigger interchange upgrade, rather than the only thing.
That concept drawing did include other upgrades at the interchange - at the very least, it provides under cover waiting and boarding. I'm not sure how many passengers change vehicles (the key point of an interchange) at Paradise other than from their private cars though. I agree that the advantage of O-bahn is that there should be far less demand for park-and-ride, but clearly that demand exists and the government should not be expected to rely on being able to lease parking form a nearby church if the church has other plans for its space.

ChillyPhilly

#1328 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:27 pm

Nathan wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:05 pm
Kasey771 wrote:

Pretty much this - Park 'n' Rides encourage the behaviour the government wants to eliminate - those individual car trips from home to public transport. They want this to be replaced with cycling or walking.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#1329 Post by Goodsy » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:33 pm

What they should look at doing is having stops in the suburbs that have secure bike sheds
Last edited by Goodsy on Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Westside
High Rise Poster!

#1330 Post by Westside » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:29 pm

Like these in Canberra that provide access via your MyWay (MetroCard equivalent):

https://www.transport.act.gov.au/gettin ... uses#cages

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1331 Post by Norman » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:52 pm

DPTI already have secure bike cages that are accessible with a MetroCard, the problem is that the cages are too small at many interchanges and only hold 16 bikes from what I remember.

timtam20292
Legendary Member!

#1332 Post by timtam20292 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:56 pm

More natives being planted today at the Grenfell Street entrance. Grevilleas I believe I saw.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#1333 Post by rev » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:33 pm

So how come the metal frame work above the tunnel exit/entrance on the city end is lit up in blue, but the entrance/exit on Hackney Road isn't? Finishing touches still to be done or..?

PD2/20
High Rise Poster!

#1334 Post by PD2/20 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:34 pm

rev wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:33 pm
So how come the metal frame work above the tunnel exit/entrance on the city end is lit up in blue, but the entrance/exit on Hackney Road isn't? Finishing touches still to be done or..?
The series of dates given in https://www.sensational-adelaide.com/fo ... 04#p161804 may give a clue. :wink:

Waewick

#1335 Post by Waewick » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:21 am

According to Twitter Labor to announce a similar policy to the libs on the paradise parkand ride.

Im sure that announcement will be welcomed by many on these forums ;)