News & Discussion: O-Bahn

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
fishinajar
High Rise Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: O-Bahn

#1081 Post by fishinajar » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:54 pm

claybro wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:03 pm
Without wanting to sound like a parklands nutter, I really hope they are very vigilant on the landscaping at the entrance to the tunnel at the city end. The tunnel entry is VERY prominent in these photos. Not quite sure why the roadway needs to widen out so significantly once out of the tunnel? Also, if the ACC is to be responsible for the upkeep of said landscaping, I do hope sufficient attention is put in to the upkeep. I fully support the tunnel, but if it is not well maintained from an asthetic point of view, it will look awful, and the ACC like most councils does have poor form in some aspects of maintenance once everyone forgets about the new shiny thing.
It was never going to be invisible. It is a piece of road transport infrastructure, like all the other roads and intersections in and around the parklands. In a few years we will be used to it being there and it will seem perfectly normal.

claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1082 Post by claybro » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:14 pm

There is a huge difference between visible and attractive. It is in one of the most visible and green parts of the city after all.

Llessur2002

#1083 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:54 pm

Isn't it supposed to have an arty metal canopy thingy over it?

adelaide transport
High Rise Poster!

#1084 Post by adelaide transport » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:58 pm

Work has commenced at the Eastern end of Grenfell Street in preparing existing/new bus stops for the new 27 Real Time digital bus stops to be installed.
This work will continue along Grenfell and Currie Streets up to West Terrace until the end of November.
A list of each stop and approximate date of the work(stop closures and boarding changes) is listed on the O-Bahn site on Adelaide Metro.
The work will take place after 730pm at night.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1085 Post by Norman » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:16 pm

I went out to investigate how much of an impact the tunnel entry in the parklands will have. It's significant, but not as bad as I thought, the exit seems to be a bit closer to the city than I expected

I have taken some pics below, you can make up your own mind.

I've also taken some photos of the works on Rundle Road and East Terrace. Still looks disappointing, but hopefully a tram will improve that in the not-so-distant future.

Joelmark
High Rise Poster!

#1086 Post by Joelmark » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:00 am

Thanks a lot Norman - great pics. Whilst when completed it will be an improvement (and the new bus-free traffic flow will help motorists a lot more than currently thought, and public transport users) I can't help but think that an opportunity was missed to incorporate the tram extentenion when it crosses the parklands to Norwood into the new bus tunnel too- two birds with the same stone, so to speak. Then the original plan to close Rundle Rd and return it to Parklands could have been more viable.

EBG

#1087 Post by EBG » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:53 pm

I don't know the Adelaide city Council keeps removing the turn left with care lanes as in from Dequetiville Tce to Rundle Road and from Rundle Road to East Tce and from East Tce to Bartels road. This just cause unnecessary delays and bottle necks.

Nort

#1088 Post by Nort » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:22 am

EBG wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:53 pm
I don't know the Adelaide city Council keeps removing the turn left with care lanes as in from Dequetiville Tce to Rundle Road and from Rundle Road to East Tce and from East Tce to Bartels road. This just cause unnecessary delays and bottle necks.
It's a balancing act, turn left with cares are also really bad for pedestrian movement.

Nathan

#1089 Post by Nathan » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:53 am

Nort wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:22 am
EBG wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:53 pm
It's a balancing act, turn left with cares are also really bad for pedestrian movement.
Exactly. At least around the East End, drivers are particularly bad at giving way to pedestrians crossing the left turn slip lanes. The Botanic Rd one is absolutely terrible (and even has a sign to remind drivers!).

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#1090 Post by Kasey771 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:13 am

Are the East terrace works to add a cycling lane when they restore the on-street parking?
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1091 Post by Norman » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:47 pm

Kasey771 wrote:Are the East terrace works to add a cycling lane when they restore the on-street parking?
From memory, yes.

The Scooter Guy

#1092 Post by The Scooter Guy » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:22 pm

Approach rails have been installed on both ends.

And I wonder what that barrier might be used for...
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

Nort

#1093 Post by Nort » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:13 pm

It's a fairly long and narrow tunnel, could the barrier be for breakdowns or if there are workers in the tunnel?

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#1094 Post by Kasey771 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:25 pm

Nort wrote:It's a fairly long and narrow tunnel, could the barrier be for breakdowns or if there are workers in the tunnel?
Seems logical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

EBG

#1095 Post by EBG » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:24 am

The north bound Hackney road bridge over the River Torrens was closed for resurfacing ,forcing single file in both directions on the eastern bridge.