News & Discussion: Cycling

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Cycling Infrastructure

#136 Post by Nathan » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:43 am

Myer Centre carpark has secure storage, lockers and showers for $15 a month.

Llessur2002

#137 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:13 am

I recently contacted DPTI to enquire about the joining of the the Outer harbor Greenway between the end of the T2T overpass and the start of the Torrens Junction project (i.e. between Coglin Street and East Street) as I hadn't heard whether anything was planned or funded. Their reply is below:
As you are probably aware, there are three sections of the Outer Harbor Greenway through the Bowden – Brompton area. Each of these sections is at a different stage of development, but all will link together to create a continuous greenway route when completed.

Here is the status of each section of the greenway:

· The South Road to Coglin Street section is being constructed by the South Road Torrens to Torrens project. This section includes the overpass of South Road.
· The Adelaide Park Lands to East Street section is being designed and constructed by the Torrens Rail Junction project. This section includes the underpass of Park Terrace.
· The design for the remaining section from East Avenue to Coglin Street is being completed by DPTI. Construction of this section is funded. Works are anticipated to start later this year and be completed around the same time as the Torrens Rail Junction project.

The section of the Greenway from East Street to Coglin Street will be a continuation of the shared use path currently under construction from South Road to Coglin Street. The design will include a new bridge to take the path over Chief Street.
In my opinion this is great news - the current detour around the old gasworks is ridiculous and not a particularly safe route given the speed that some cars travel through intersections in the East Street area. Whilst it is still frustrating that the dedicated shared path will end in Croydon, this will at least cut out some of the dodgier part of the route and should help to draw commuting cyclists away from Port Road and will also be a great boon for Bowden residents wishing to visit Queen Street in Croydon and vice versa. Glad this finally looks to be going ahead.

Nathan

#138 Post by Nathan » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:19 am

That's great! I always thought that that section of the greenway would be done as part of the remediation of the gasworks into park (once the Bowden development reaches that point), but that it's being done sooner than that is good news.

Llessur2002

#139 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:25 am

Nathan wrote:I always thought that that section of the greenway would be done as part of the remediation of the gasworks into park (once the Bowden development reaches that point)
Me too - I certainly didn't expect the response that I received. At best I thought it might be planned, I certainly didn't expected it to be funded with a fairly imminent start date. I can't wait to get away from Port Road during my morning commute - a direct route into the parklands will be a great bonus!

I wonder how they will treat the section just east of Chief Street - where the train mural has been painted. Ground level rises quite considerably here - not sure why, it looks a bit like an old platform but I wasn't aware of there ever being a station here.

Nathan

#140 Post by Nathan » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:59 am

Now if we could just get Adelaide City Council to pull their finger out and light the section of path through Bonython Park (from the greenway to the rail bridge over the Torrens), we'll be laughing.

Llessur2002

#141 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:18 pm

Nathan wrote:Now if we could just get Adelaide City Council to pull their finger out and light the section of path through Bonython Park (from the greenway to the rail bridge over the Torrens), we'll be laughing.
Yeah, both my other half and I raised this in our submissions to the linear park improvement survey that ran a few months back - not sure if there have been any published outcomes from that yet?

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#142 Post by rev » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:39 pm

How about building tunnels for cyclists?
Cheaper then motorvehicle tunnels since they wont be as big so less materials and excavation work required.
First city in the world to have a tunnel network just for cyclists.
A final solution to the age old battle between drivers and cyclists.

metro
Legendary Member!

#143 Post by metro » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:24 pm

The Goodwood bridge seems to have gone quiet, it was supposed to be completed by the end of the year.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger ... 1dc289e5cd
May 16, 2016

A BRIDGE will be built over the train line at Goodwood to improve safety for cyclists using Adelaide’s busiest bikeway.

The state and federal governments last week announced plans to build a pedestrian and cycling bridge over the Goodwood train station.

It would connect the Mike Turtur Bikeway from Railway Tce North, in Goodwood, to Norman Tce, Forestville.

A state Transport Department spokeswoman said the project would cost about $10 million, and would include work to “improve Goodwood station access for patrons”.

The Eastern Courier Messenger understands this would include a lift that operates between the overpass and the train station.

The spokeswoman said the bridge would “remove the last major impediment” for people using the bikeway that runs next to the tramline from the CBD to Glenelg,

More than 1000 people use the route every day, making it Adelaide’s most popular cycling route, according to the department.

“(The bridge) will enable large numbers of cyclists to bypass local roads and avoid the … level crossing at Victoria St,” the spokeswoman said.

Work was expected to start next year and be completed before the end of 2017, she said.

Goodwood ward councillor Bob Schnell said the bridge would be “fantastic” for cyclists.

Cr Schnell also welcomed plans to improve the access the train station.

“At present it is terribly unsafe and I would not want to walk around there at night,” Cr Schnell said.

Funds for the Goodwood station bridge were included in $442 million announced last week for the Torrens Junction upgrade.

The State Government has committed $232 million towards the project, while the Federal Government has pledged $211 million.

The Mike Turtur bikeway has really gone to sht since South Rd bridge closure, building this bridge at Goodwood could have at least made up for the loss of the South Rd bridge. :roll:

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#144 Post by muzzamo » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:36 pm

metro wrote:The Goodwood bridge seems to have gone quiet, it was supposed to be completed by the end of the year.
The optimist in me is hoping that they are seeking funding/scope change to put a tram stop up there as well for a proper tram/train connection.

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#145 Post by Kasey771 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:49 am

rev wrote:How about building tunnels for cyclists?
Cheaper then motorvehicle tunnels since they wont be as big so less materials and excavation work required.
Part of the appeal of cycling is feeling the sun and wind on your face as you ride. tunnels are lacking in natural light. If they were just short tunnels to connect bits of separated bike way under main arterial roads, I would use them, but long commutes in a tunnel? I think it would be much less appealing than riding at street level for many cyclists.
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

SBD

#146 Post by SBD » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:19 pm

Kasey771 wrote:
rev wrote:How about building tunnels for cyclists?
Part of the appeal of cycling is feeling the sun and wind on your face as you ride. tunnels are lacking in natural light. If they were just short tunnels to connect bits of separated bike way under main arterial roads, I would use them, but long commutes in a tunnel? I think it would be much less appealing than riding at street level for many cyclists.
I think there would be an entertaining bunfight at a political proposal to dig a cut-and-cover trench along Pirie/Waymouth, Morphett and Frome Streets, with 7% gradient ramps in and out at each major cross road, leading from/to the surface bike lanes on each side. I doubt whoever proposed it would score many votes per dollar of the proposed cost. The tunnel needs to be wide enough for bikes in each direction, plus overtaking space (adults coming down the ramp could be doing well in excess of 40km/h, kids on the way to school might only be doing 12km/h once they've steadied from the ramp). There needs to be plenty of space for sight lines, and ambulance access for the right-angle junction, but it would provide an "innovative" solution for students travelling between Adelaide High School campuses or Uni campuses at either end of town.

I agree with Kasey though - it's hard to imagine it being more fun than riding in the traffic, except perhaps on occasional rainy days.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#147 Post by Norman » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:10 pm

Mawson Lakes Rail Station to get pedestrian, bike path
Sarah Rohweder, Northern Messenger
July 21, 2017 2:09pm

CONSTRUCTION of a shared footpath for pedestrians and cyclists will begin within the next two months, easing access to the Mawson Lakes Interchange.

The State Government last week sent letters to residents informing them that work would begin in the third quarter of this year and would finish by December – subject to good weather.

The $2.4 million project includes installing a shared path, ramp and stairs on the southern side of the bridge along Elder Smith Rd to improve access to the bridge from the western side of the rail corridor via Augustine St.

It will connect with Salisbury Council’s Green Trails – a 40km network of walking and cycling tracks that do not cross main roads or highways.

The project also includes widening the existing path along the bridge to cater for more people.

“We have been working towards this project for ages,” Mayor Gillian Aldridge said.

“If you have ever seen people trying to climb up that mound of dirt, trying to get up to the footpath ... it’s so inconvenient for people at the moment if they are walking or riding a bike.

“So I am really pleased we are finally doing something about it.”

The Mawson Lakes Interchange is used by more than 5000 passengers each day, but only one per cent ride their bikes to catch a bus.

Salisbury will contribute $1.6 million towards the project.

The remaining $800,000 is being funded through the government’s Better Access to Public Transport Program.

Speed limits along Elder Smith Rd will be reduced to 25km/h during construction.

ralmin
Gold-Member ;)

#148 Post by ralmin » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:44 am

They should connect the Dry Creek linear park between the east and west sides with a new underpass under the railway lines, this can connect to the south side of the railway station, rather than going over the Elder Smith Rd bridge.

PD2/20
High Rise Poster!

#149 Post by PD2/20 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:58 pm

ralmin wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:44 am
They should connect the Dry Creek linear park between the east and west sides with a new underpass under the railway lines, this can connect to the south side of the railway station, rather than going over the Elder Smith Rd bridge.
The problem there is that Dry Creek is crossed by the railway at that point so that the underpass would be below the creek level. As there are wetlands to the E and SE of the interchange the water table is probably quite near the surface in that area.

Llessur2002

#150 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:42 pm

http://indaily.com.au/news/2017/08/02/c ... -adelaide/

Really hope something like this takes off in Adelaide. Have been in Copenhagen this week and really highlights how little cycling actually takes place in Adelaide.

A decent and widespread cycle hire scheme which extends into the suburbs could really help boost cycling numbers in Adelaide and, once that happens, the infrastructure should hopefully follow...

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk