News & Discussion: Cycling

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Cycling

#391 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:16 am

And here we go again... :roll:
Adelaide bikeway plan: Councillors suggest revisiting controversial old bikeway plan, rather than cut parking spaces

A controversial bikeway plan that would wipe out hundreds of parking spaces on Pirie and Waymouth streets looks set to be dumped – to be replaced with an old and equally contentious plan.

Adelaide City Council looks set to back-pedal on a controversial bikeway plan to wipe out hundreds of car and motorcycle parks down Pirie and Waymouth streets.

At a workshop meeting on Tuesday night, Cr Philip Martin branded the proposal a “dud” — and suggested reviving 2016 plans for a separated bikeway down Flinders and Franklin streets.

The old plans were put on hold because of strong trader backlash, however, council staff told the Flinders and Franklin would still be the best option.

Cr Martin, who was against the Waymouth St plan, said the council should not have turned its back on the original decision.

“There is one option, there was always one, Flinders and Franklin,” Cr Martin said.

“I am appalled that this matter is back in the hands of the elected body, having made a clear decision in 2016 that an east-west bikeway would be located on Flinders and Franklin.”

The Advertiser reported earlier this week that a bikeway down Pirie and Waymouth would have removed 363 car parks and 63 motorcycle bays.

The $5.5 million bikeway has been in the pipeline since July 2016.

The council agreed the route down Flinders and Franklin was “low stress and comfortable experience” for cyclists, but that was shunned in November 2017 because traders said it would damage business.

Last April, the council decided to look into whether Waymouth and Pirie streets would be a better option, despite an earlier study finding they would be too narrow.

Cr Robert Simms said if a bikeway down Pirie and Waymouth does not go ahead, the Flinders and Franklin plan should be revived.

“I get the sense that support for that option (Pirie and Waymouth) is evaporating … if this is not a live option, we should go back to Flinders and Franklin and advance that,” Cr Simms said.

Deputy Lord Mayor Alexander Hyde said a Pirie and Waymouth bikeway should be “categorically ruled out” because the street is often at capacity.

However, he thought a bike lane down Wakefield and Grote streets was the best way forward.

Should the council go ahead with a bikeway down Flinders and Franklin street, it would have to rescind its 2017 decision. City council planning executive Shanti Ditter said the former plans would need to be reviewed because they prepared “some time ago”.

A report would have to go before a council committee for discussion and then a council meeting. The council and the State Government have contributed to funding, and that has to be spent by June 2021.
From: https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenge ... 9bf3a5af27

Listy
High Rise Poster!

#392 Post by Listy » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:54 pm

Lets not forget that the so called "strong trader backlash" against the Pirie St bike path in 2016 was basically one cafe owner who was either mates with or duped by Alex Antic into commenting in the media.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#393 Post by SRW » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:28 am

At least we can console ourselves with the fact this madness is not unique to us:
'Geelong council votes to spend $2 million to rip up part of the city's $8 million 'green spine' as reported by ABC News
Keep Adelaide Weird

Nathan

#394 Post by Nathan » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:41 am

Listy wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:54 pm
Lets not forget that the so called "strong trader backlash" against the Flinders St bike path in 2016 was basically one cafe owner who was either mates with or duped by Alex Antic into commenting in the media.
And, who has since moved (to Franklin St to be fair, but now has only loading zones and no-standing zones in front).

ChillyPhilly

#395 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:24 am

Here's a movable bike platform in Rotterdam.

We could do with some of these.

Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#396 Post by SRW » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:57 am

Bike parking is adequate in most areas of the city from my experience. I’d rather not distract from the real issue of a lack of safe and protected routes.
Keep Adelaide Weird

ChillyPhilly

#397 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:31 am

I agree, but the purpose of these is to ween people away from using carparks. Plus, they are adaptable to needs.

An electronic scooter equivalent probably wouldn't go astray either.

dbl96
High Rise Poster!

#398 Post by dbl96 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:37 pm

SRW wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:57 am
Bike parking is adequate in most areas of the city from my experience. I’d rather not distract from the real issue of a lack of safe and protected routes.
I agree that the priority should be creating safe and protected cycling routes.

However, while there are a decent number of placed to park bikes, there is a lack of secure places to park bikes. Typical footpath bike racks tend to be very exposed and lack security features like surveillance cameras. Furthermore, a lot of buildings and businesses still have a lot of silly restrictions forbidding people from bringing bikes inside where they could be parked more safely.

Even if we can create safe on-road cycling routes, people will still avoid cycling if they are worried their bikes will be stolen when parked.

ginzahikari
Gold-Member ;)

#399 Post by ginzahikari » Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:03 pm

Some false hope again?

SA Govt promises to prioritise cycling and walking in "low emissions" transport revamp
https://indaily.com.au/news/2020/12/16/ ... rt-revamp/

The Climate Change Action Plan 2021-2025 can be downloaded here:
https://www.environment.sa.gov.au/topic ... -2021-2025

Simmos083
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#400 Post by Simmos083 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:51 am

Why have stupid bike lanes which drive everyone crazy, we need better roads for cars, trains and trams. Money can spent a lot better investing in this, roads are for cars not Tour De France wannabes

Alyx
High Rise Poster!

#401 Post by Alyx » Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:56 am

Simmos083 wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:51 am
Why have stupid bike lanes which drive everyone crazy, we need better roads for cars, trains and trams. Money can spent a lot better investing in this, roads are for cars not Tour De France wannabes
Is this the forum you meant to post your comment on?

ChillyPhilly

#402 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:35 am

Simmos083 wrote:
As Stephen Yarwood wrote, there are 26 west-east dedicated lanes for cars, buses and technically trams already.

There are none for bicycles, which is an active form of transport - and not just 'recreation' as you state.

Nort

#403 Post by Nort » Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:17 pm

Simmos083 wrote:
Roads are for whatever mix of traffic is deemed most appropriate to allow people to move around effectively.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#404 Post by crawf » Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:27 pm

Simmos083 wrote:

ldnadl
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#405 Post by ldnadl » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:31 pm

Simmos083 wrote:
What an odd comment, but sadly very typical! Bicycles are fantastic to get around, to go shopping, to see friends, to get to work. I spent a decade in Adelaide doing just that. Incredibly practical things. I think people just don't realise how great they are: the money you save not paying for fuel, the easy exercise, the short-distance time saving compared to other forms of transport, and just the joy of getting on them and letting the endorphins flow. I suggest trying out a bike for a week or so, perhaps that will end the contempt... Adelaide would do well from more people on bikes: fitter, happier, less congested roads (bikes are a lot smaller than cars!), and money saved.