News & Discussion: Cycling

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Bacon
High Rise Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Cycling Infrastructure

#241 Post by Bacon » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:49 am

I think part of the problem with obike is that their bikes aren’t actually GPS tracked, but rely on the user’s smartphone to send its location between unlock and lock.

Once the lock is inevitably damaged the bike can be ridden for “free” and there is no way of tracking it down.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#242 Post by muzzamo » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:22 pm

I've started using ofo a bit in the last week.

Using them has felt like an absolute revelation.

However, at the moment they are completely free. I think the system is going to work a lot better once charging starts in June or whenever. Inevitably its going to be much easier to get a bike when you need one.

Its also clear to me that there are many instances of people "privatising" their bikes - taking them up to apartments and that sort of thing, which is quite frustrating. Hopefully ofo can sort this out via AI, algorithms, or whatever.

Also it has been quite difficult to get them this week in the CBD during the tour down under which is hardly surprising.

floplo
High Rise Poster!

#243 Post by floplo » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:29 pm

Norman wrote:Some photos from the city bikeway between Pirie and Grenfell Streets.

This part confuses me, which part is the bikeway?

About the last one, the bike lae should be the light concrete track in the middle.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#244 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:37 pm

Whilst this is a slight improvement on what was there before, there is a lot to criticise... The bike lanes are incredibly narrow which really doesn't allow for cyclists to overtake slower cyclists and makes it hard for cyclists to ride at speed, they also haven't addressed the problems that existed before with cars turning off Frome Street and close misses with cyclists.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#245 Post by Norman » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:10 pm

I forgot to upload these pics last weekend.

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#246 Post by Kasey771 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:19 pm

Norman wrote:I forgot to upload these pics last weekend.

I hear what you're saying about cars turning into cyclists being a fault that hasn't been addressed. As for the width.. Remember the whole point of seperated bike lanes isn't really for people that are already confident cyclists( they'll be going fast) it's to try to entice the more timid (slower) cyclists stereotypically, women and children to ride more. If the reduced footprint of the bikeway shuts down the bleating and rabble rousing of people ideologically against cycling in the ACC and looking to play up the legacy design as being 'over engineered' and a monstrosity on the streetscape then it could be left alone for long enough to have a positive effect on cycling numbers in the CBD. If it works then ACC will have the confidence to use the same design for the E/W route.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#247 Post by mshagg » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:28 am

From memory they intended to hit the width suggested by design guidelines (there's no ADR as such) to allow two cyclists to pass one another (2M?). If that's not the case and more experienced riders opt to use the primary lane then it will open up a fairly serious avenue of criticism "see they dun use it anywaaaays".

Other than that the treatment looks quite good.

Nathan

#248 Post by Nathan » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:58 am

mshagg wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:28 am
From memory they intended to hit the width suggested by design guidelines (there's no ADR as such) to allow two cyclists to pass one another (2M?). If that's not the case and more experienced riders opt to use the primary lane then it will open up a fairly serious avenue of criticism "see they dun use it anywaaaays".
Are you suggesting they've ignored feedback from cyclists and have purposely engineered in a "gotcha" situation? I'm shocked. :wink:

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#249 Post by omada » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:16 pm

Do yall know if this treatment is continuing to North Terrace?

Listy
High Rise Poster!

#250 Post by Listy » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:15 pm

omada wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:16 pm
Do yall know if this treatment is continuing to North Terrace?
Eventually it's supposed to continue all the way (in some form or another) to North Adelaide to link up with the shared pathway alongside Le Fevre Terrace. The Grenfell - Nth Terrace section is going to be the trickiest I think. Beyond that should be easier.

Bacon
High Rise Poster!

#251 Post by Bacon » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:48 am

Looks like the Ofo “geofence” has been extended to Port Adelaide Enfield

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#252 Post by Eurostar » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:12 pm

All the money taking out the bike lane, to put it back in is a waste and could of been used on more bike lanes on other streets or improving footpaths

Patrick_27

#253 Post by Patrick_27 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:21 am

Eurostar wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:12 pm
All the money taking out the bike lane, to put it back in is a waste and could of been used on more bike lanes on other streets or improving footpaths
Watch it! You sound like a quasi Advertiser reader.

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#254 Post by Kasey771 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:47 am

Eurostar wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:12 pm
dons "Opposing everything because I'm from Adelaide" hat

More Bike lanes??
I pray to our Saviour Anne Moran that these Devil's trails do not further infect our fine city. One is already too many!
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

Llessur2002

#255 Post by Llessur2002 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:10 am

I couldn't get a snap but it looks like footings for a bridge over Chief Street at Brompton have been installed on the new Outer Harbor greenway. It will be interesting to see how they connect the bikeway from here up to the new bikeway at Bowden Station as the rail cutting butts right up to the boundary of the old gasworks at this point. It looks like perhaps one of the old (non-heritage) gasworks outbuildings might need to be demolished, as well as a small section of stone wall where Drayton Street meets East Street. Hoping the whole bikeway will be open by the time that Bowden Station's completed.