News & Discussion: Cycling

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
mshagg
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: Cycling Infrastructure

#181 Post by mshagg » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:12 pm

Well it looks like Ofo has a strategy for heading off the nay sayers. Saw a guy with an ipad (for tracking i guess) grabbing a bike that had been parked in front of my building for a couple of days (it's not like it was vandalised or put anywhere inappropriate, more likely it had just been used for a one-way trip).

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#182 Post by monotonehell » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:24 am

mshagg wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:12 pm
Well it looks like Ofo has a strategy for heading off the nay sayers. Saw a guy with an ipad (for tracking i guess) grabbing a bike that had been parked in front of my building for a couple of days (it's not like it was vandalised or put anywhere inappropriate, more likely it had just been used for a one-way trip).
I've seen quite a bit of shuffling recently, both with individuals pushing bikes around and with rented utes like above. It's definitely something that the operators would want to do if bikes often end up in places where people don't want start their journeys.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

victorious80
Gold-Member ;)

#183 Post by victorious80 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:12 am

Looks like new bike lanes are being installed on Frome St between Pirie and Grenfell. Outside Ideas are the contractor.

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#184 Post by mshagg » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:56 am

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-08/c ... atenews_sa
South Australians seem to be leaving their bicycles at home and opting to drive to work, with a new survey pointing to a big drop in people choosing to hop on a bike.

The latest National Cycling Participation Survey has found 14 per cent of South Australians cycle each week, down 20 per cent from six years ago.

Nearly 300,000 people said they had jumped on a bike at least one day a week in the 2011 survey, compared with 239,000 when asked this year.

It has prompted calls for more bike infrastructure to turn the figures around.
Working title: hey you know how we said that thing was going to happen if you keep doing things the way you're going them? Well, it's happening.

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#185 Post by Kasey771 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:09 am

mshagg wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:56 am
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-08/c ... atenews_sa
South Australians seem to be leaving their bicycles at home and opting to drive to work, with a new survey pointing to a big drop in people choosing to hop on a bike.

The latest National Cycling Participation Survey has found 14 per cent of South Australians cycle each week, down 20 per cent from six years ago.

Nearly 300,000 people said they had jumped on a bike at least one day a week in the 2011 survey, compared with 239,000 when asked this year.

It has prompted calls for more bike infrastructure to turn the figures around.
Working title: hey you know how we said that thing was going to happen if you keep doing things the way you're going them? Well, it's happening.
cause and effect: how aggressive, angry, impatient and entitled Adelaide motorists are driving(see what I did there?) vulnerable road users away from the road network. :wallbash: :wallbash:
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#186 Post by mshagg » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:37 pm

"We wanted 600,000 people riding bikes... but... it meant we might lose a car park on East Terrace so..."

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#187 Post by Nathan » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:56 pm

Advertiser has now dug up one lone voice against the Flinders/Franklin bikeway (with some soundbites from Antic and Moran) and extrapolated it as traders opposing it. Never mind it would likely improve his turnover, not to mention the amenity of his outdoor dining (surely for people sitting outside it's preferable to have bikes going past instead of cars parking immediately adjacent).

Someone at the paper obviously has a bee in their bonnet at the moment, as there's been an awful lot of cyclist/motorist pot stirring the last few days (complete with putting that bloody Durianrider video at the top of every story).
Bikeway proposed for Flinders St and Franklin St in Adelaide may affect outdoor dining, traders say
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 2192d819d1

TRADERS along Flinders and Franklin St fear the proposed East-West bikeway will damage their businesses when parking and outdoor dining areas are reduced under the project.

A total of $5.5 million has been allocated for the design and construction of a bikeway between Dequetteville Tce and West Tce.

However the route — which mirrors the new design for the Frome St bikeway — will make all angled parking parallel and is likely to affect on-street dining areas.

Luigi’s Delicatessen owner Luigi Di Costanzo said he “will do everything I can to try and stop this” because outdoor dining at his Flinders St eatery is his livelihood.

Due to its small interior, he says 90 per cent of customers dine on the footpath, which city council built for him more than a year ago.

“The very people that built the protuberance for me are looking to take it away,” he said. “It would effectively kill my business.”

Mr Di Costanzo supports safer riding in Adelaide and has even installed bike racks near his cafe to attract cyclists. “But I don’t believe that we should sacrifice business owners up and down Flinders and Franklin, and kill off business in a vibrant street just for the sake of a 2.5m width bike lane on both sides of the street where there’s already an existing bike lane working”.

City councillor Alex Antic said there were dozens of people concerned about the project.

“The council’s track record with separated bikeways such as Frome St would do little to give businesses, property owners and residents comfort to suggest that the East-West route would be a success.

“A different way to provide safe cycling in the city needs to be found.”

Cycling participation in South Australia has dropped by 20 per cent in the past six years, prompting Bike SA to this week call for new bike friendly infrastructure.

Councillor Anne Moran said council had multiplied the infrastructure over the past four years and yet there were less cyclists on the road.

The East-West bikeway is jointly funded by the city council and State Government. But Ms Moran said she will advocate for the money to be spent upgrading the existing bike network - such as bike signals at traffic lights.

Lord Mayor Martin Haese said although the Frome St “mark one” did not win the hearts and minds of South Australians, he said those concerned about the East-West corridor to assess it when Frome St “mark two” streetscape is soon unveiled.

“Please do not feel that you’re going to have concrete blocks laden on your street like Frome St mark one,” he said.

A consultation team will meet with business owners.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#188 Post by SRW » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:23 pm

Weren't fuel prices higher 6 years ago? Public transport usage has also fallen.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#189 Post by Nathan » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:51 pm

Also worthwhile, a bit of analysis of that survey below. Seems it was based on a fairly limited phone survey with the question being if people had cycled in the past week — which opens it up to a lot of variance based on what the weather might have been like that week. The participation rate also doesn't distinguish between recreational and commuter/utility cycling, when the latter is more important when considering things like cycling infrastructure in the CBD. (In other words, the results from this survey aren't particularly useful beyond giving papers a headline to write).

https://blogs.crikey.com.au/theurbanist ... opularity/

Some bits that weren't widely reported:
  • Sample size was 530 households containing 1,101 people
  • 30% of the population of metro Adelaide rode a bike somewhere in the last year.
  • 20% of the respondents said they had started riding in the last year, up from 8% in 2015.
  • Those who have been riding regularly for more than a year, are riding more often.
  • 13% of metro riders rode to work in the previous month, compared with 9% nationally.

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#190 Post by mshagg » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:14 am

City councillor Alex Antic said there were dozens of people concerned about the project.
OMG! Dozens!

I cant wait for this prick to crawl back under the rock he slithered out from. What a piece of shit.

bits
Legendary Member!

#191 Post by bits » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:16 am

Mshagg that is uncalled for.
Make a point not insults.

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#192 Post by mshagg » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:26 am

bits wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:16 am
Mshagg that is uncalled for.
Make a point not insults.
I consistently critique Antic's anti-progressive stance on matters that comes before council. From his constant agitation against active transport, opposition of taxing land bankers, running successful fringe venues out of Victoria square and clipping venue hours during the festival, his obsession with landlords/car parking and even his underhanded attempts to stall the council's program of carbon neutrality.

He embodies everything that is wrong with this city - the sooner he pisses off and gets his liberal preselection the better.

I apologise if the language was off and will amend the post if needed, but I have no reservations about insulting him.

Allkai
High Rise Poster!

#193 Post by Allkai » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:16 pm

Luigi wrote: “will do everything I can to try and stop this” because outdoor dining at his Flinders St eatery is his livelihood.
Fair enough.

I work nearby, and also commute down Flinders St.

I'll do "everything I can to try and" remember not to go to his shop ever again.

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#194 Post by Kasey771 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:20 pm

Nathan wrote:Advertiser has now dug up one lone voice against the Flinders/Franklin bikeway (with some soundbites from Antic and Moran) and extrapolated it as traders opposing it. Never mind it would likely improve his turnover, not to mention the amenity of his outdoor dining (surely for people sitting outside it's preferable to have bikes going past instead of cars parking immediately adjacent).

Someone at the paper obviously has a bee in their bonnet at the moment, as there's been an awful lot of cyclist/motorist pot stirring the last few days (complete with putting that bloody Durianrider video at the top of every story).
Bikeway proposed for Flinders St and Franklin St in Adelaide may affect outdoor dining, traders say

TRADERS along Flinders and Franklin St fear the proposed East-West bikeway will damage their businesses when parking and outdoor dining areas are reduced under the project.

A total of $5.5 million has been allocated for the design and construction of a bikeway between Dequetteville Tce and West Tce.

However the route — which mirrors the new design for the Frome St bikeway — will make all angled parking parallel and is likely to affect on-street dining areas.

Luigi’s Delicatessen owner Luigi Di Costanzo said he “will do everything I can to try and stop this” because outdoor dining at his Flinders St eatery is his livelihood.

Due to its small interior, he says 90 per cent of customers dine on the footpath, which city council built for him more than a year ago.

“The very people that built the protuberance for me are looking to take it away,” he said. “It would effectively kill my business.”

Mr Di Costanzo supports safer riding in Adelaide and has even installed bike racks near his cafe to attract cyclists. “But I don’t believe that we should sacrifice business owners up and down Flinders and Franklin, and kill off business in a vibrant street just for the sake of a 2.5m width bike lane on both sides of the street where there’s already an existing bike lane working”.

“The council’s track record with separated bikeways such as Frome St would do little to give businesses, property owners and residents comfort to suggest that the East-West route would be a success.

Cycling participation in South Australia has dropped by 20 per cent in the past six years, prompting Bike SA to this week call for new bike friendly infrastructure.

Councillor Anne Moran said council had multiplied the infrastructure over the past four years and yet there were less cyclists on the road.

The East-West bikeway is jointly funded by the city council and State Government. But Ms Moran said she will advocate for the money to be spent upgrading the existing bike network - such as bike signals at traffic lights.

Lord Mayor Martin Haese said although the Frome St “mark one” did not win the hearts and minds of South Australians, he said those concerned about the East-West corridor to assess it when Frome St “mark two” streetscape is soon unveiled.

“Please do not feel that you’re going to have concrete blocks laden on your street like Frome St mark one,” he said.

Brilliant. Why bother going to university to learn about city planning? All you need to do is to buy a CBD business and suddenly you will know all you need to know about city planning and the effect of increasing active transport options nearby to surrounding businesses. Wasn’t there a study that showed that shop owners regularly over estimated how many of their customers traveled by car to shop at their business?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#195 Post by Norman » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:26 pm

Kasey771 wrote:
Nathan wrote:Advertiser has now dug up one lone voice against the Flinders/Franklin bikeway (with some soundbites from Antic and Moran) and extrapolated it as traders opposing it. Never mind it would likely improve his turnover, not to mention the amenity of his outdoor dining (surely for people sitting outside it's preferable to have bikes going past instead of cars parking immediately adjacent).

Brilliant. Why bother going to university to learn about city planning? All you need to do is to buy a CBD business and suddenly you will know all you need to know about city planning and the effect of increasing active transport options nearby to surrounding businesses. Wasn’t there a study that showed that shop owners regularly over estimated how many of their customers traveled by car to shop at their business?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, I think it was this one:
https://indaily.com.au/news/2015/10/19/ ... ed-survey/

And this case of "I know better than the academics" has no better example than the election of Trump.