News & Discussion: Cycling

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: News & Discussion: Cycling

#331 Post by Norman » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:52 am

Great news

SBD
Legendary Member!

#332 Post by SBD » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:55 pm

This looks like an excellent extension, as long as the details match up to the vision. I have not yet seen any details of how the path by the Northern Expressway will link to the one by the Northern Connector. I hope it is better than just at-grade crossing Port Wakefield Road protected by yellow "cyclists crossing" which isn't great for kids or walkers/runners on the path. It's also not clear how the new path will work for cycling (or running/walking) to/from Mawson Lakes. Are the current cycling detours suitable and sufficient that they will easily link in to address that direction too?

ralmin
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#333 Post by ralmin » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:04 pm

Very happy to see the Northern Connector bike path connected to Port Adelaide. :applause:

In the map in the article the bike path clearly crosses the Northern Connector and Salisbury Highway at the southern end.

Is there any indication whether these crossings will be built as underpass or overpass?

Listy
Gold-Member ;)

#334 Post by Listy » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:30 pm

SBD wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:55 pm
This looks like an excellent extension, as long as the details match up to the vision. I have not yet seen any details of how the path by the Northern Expressway will link to the one by the Northern Connector. I hope it is better than just at-grade crossing Port Wakefield Road protected by yellow "cyclists crossing" which isn't great for kids or walkers/runners on the path. It's also not clear how the new path will work for cycling (or running/walking) to/from Mawson Lakes. Are the current cycling detours suitable and sufficient that they will easily link in to address that direction too?
This is great news. It looks like there will be underpasses to link with the NC path & the proposed/partly built Gawler greenway (which also links with Mawson Lakes). See these two PortBUG newsletters for a bit more detail/context:
https://portadbug.org/2018/06/13/portbu ... from-dpti/
https://portadbug.org/2018/09/26/portbu ... announced/

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#335 Post by mshagg » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:22 pm

Linear park underpass for south road was finally reopened today - some two months late AND they hardly did anything during the extended closure, given 2/3rds of it is still built from the 'rustic' timber which is well past its used-by date, but whatever.

On the approach to the underpass, heading east, what do we find - but some bright spark has decided a big fucking silver bollard in the middle of the path, which is borderline invisible against the surrounding backdrop given the lack of paint, is an appropriate treatment for *insert reasons*.
Screenshot_20181119-083632_VLC.jpg
Screenshot_20181119-083632_VLC.jpg (362.3 KiB) Viewed 770 times
:wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

Listy
Gold-Member ;)

#336 Post by Listy » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:00 pm

mshagg wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:22 pm
Linear park underpass for south road was finally reopened today - some two months late AND they hardly did anything during the extended closure, given 2/3rds of it is still built from the 'rustic' timber which is well past its used-by date, but whatever.

On the approach to the underpass, heading east, what do we find - but some bright spark has decided a big fucking silver bollard in the middle of the path, which is borderline invisible against the surrounding backdrop given the lack of paint, is an appropriate treatment for *insert reasons*.

I passed the bollard this morning and it was a truly potentially diabolical piece of street furniture. I guess someone important agreed because it was gone by the time I rode home this evening! As for the rustic timber section - that bit remained Charles Sturt's responsibility apparently & they are probably hoping to hold out till the road bridge is widened once more.

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#337 Post by mshagg » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:49 pm

Listy wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:00 pm
mshagg wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:22 pm

I passed the bollard this morning and it was a truly potentially diabolical piece of street furniture. I guess someone important agreed because it was gone by the time I rode home this evening! As for the rustic timber section - that bit remained Charles Sturt's responsibility apparently & they are probably hoping to hold out till the road bridge is widened once more.
I may or may not have sent a detailed email to T2T and CWT/CS councils this morning explaining the many ways it fell short of the Austroads Guide to Road Design Part 6A...

So long as it's gone - absolute deathtrap.