News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Buses

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
timtam20292
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: Buses

#466 Post by timtam20292 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:47 pm

They also mentioned it on 9 News :)

The Scooter Guy
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#467 Post by The Scooter Guy » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:50 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:05 pm
Have just seen on 7 News that the ANZAC Highway bus lanes are to be removed tomorrow. I haven't driven ANZAC Highway since they were installed but apparently peak travel times substantially increased (anecdotally due to drivers not merging correctly - the age old Adelaide problem...).

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
Grenfell St's bus lanes should be removed too.
They have done more damage then rectification.
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

ChillyPhilly

#468 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:00 pm

The Scooter Guy wrote:
Llessur2002 wrote:
Have just seen on 7 News that the ANZAC Highway bus lanes are to be removed tomorrow. I haven't driven ANZAC Highway since they were installed but apparently peak travel times substantially increased (anecdotally due to drivers not merging correctly - the age old Adelaide problem...).

Maybe cars should be removed from Grenfell Street.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Patrick_27

#469 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:40 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:00 pm
The Scooter Guy wrote:
Llessur2002 wrote:

How about following simple logic Scooter Guy and instead of fighting the bus lanes from your car, get on a bus and join the network...

Tonsley213
High Rise Poster!

#470 Post by Tonsley213 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:40 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
The Scooter Guy wrote:
Llessur2002 wrote:

I agree. The only place they should be allowed is one way into and the same way out of the car parks along there. No through traffic at all. It would do absolute wonders for PT if it and KWS were turned in to pedestrian friendly areas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#471 Post by Kasey771 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:11 am

Tonsley213 wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:40 pm
ChillyPhilly wrote:
The Scooter Guy wrote:
I agree. The only place they should be allowed is one way into and the same way out of the car parks along there. No through traffic at all. It would do absolute wonders for PT if it and KWS were turned in to pedestrian friendly areas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Id like to see a severe reduction in the amount of cars in the city mile. It would generate howls of protest, but what about having one or two lanes open for car park entry (and perhaps delivery trucks?) between 7am and 9am and again between 3pm and 5pm for exiting the CBD car parks but then shut it downduring the other times and have the streets as primarily for pedestrians and alfresco cafes & dining? The only vehicles in my vision would be pedicabs and bicycles (for those that find walking longer than 500m too difficult.)
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

mshagg
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: Public Transport

#472 Post by mshagg » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:00 am

The advertiser story is paywalled so wont bother linking it, but basically Adelaide drivers failed to use the third lane at intersections (presumably because they know their fellow drivers would have zero intention of letting them merge back in) which blew out queues.

Advertiser now running a poll to ask whether bus lanes should be completely removed in Adelaide.

Good job, everybody :applause:

claybro

#473 Post by claybro » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:19 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:

Some times I am puzzled by what Adelaide is actually trying to achieve with PT. Bus lanes are holding up traffic because Adelaide drivers cant merge!? So in order to resolve a problem the car drivers create themselves is to do away with transit lanes? Then the very same people who are in favour of more buses instead of trams would lament the loss of bus lanes, when the very thing about a tram is that the track cant simply be removed at someones whim because motorists cant cope. Isn't the idea of a bus lane to make bus travel faster and more attractive thereby getting cars off the road. Don't like trams because they take up fixed road space and buses are more flexible to operate. Don't like buses because they want their own bus lanes and due to their "operational flexibility" the bus lanes are easy to remove ? Am I missing something here?

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#474 Post by monotonehell » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:57 pm

claybro wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:19 pm
...Am I missing something here?
Let's hope you are. Hopefully the decision to remove the experiment was based on something concrete and not what amounts to the need for driver education. Have they released any official statement about the reasons? Is this mooted reason third party anecdotal?
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#475 Post by mshagg » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:02 pm

The hell with drivers on Anzac highway. Do away with the arrangement where motorists were permitted back in the lane at intersections (but seemingly lacked the collective intelligence to execute such manoeuvres) and make it a peak hour bus lane the whole way from Glenelg.

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#476 Post by Kasey771 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:01 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:

bus priority lanes work well elsewhere. What was different about ours? Inability of Adelaide drivers to accept change and be able to merge properly? SMH.

For a city with such light traffic compared to say Sydney, there are a lot of overly aggressive drivers here :(
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

Haso
High Rise Poster!

#477 Post by Haso » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:05 pm

Kasey771 wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:01 pm
Llessur2002 wrote:

bus priority lanes work well elsewhere. What was different about ours? Inability of Adelaide drivers to accept change and be able to merge properly? SMH.

For a city with such light traffic compared to say Sydney, there are a lot of overly aggressive drivers here :(
Bus/tram priority lanes works quite well in cities I visited or lived. Let just mention Zurich. Yes, there are fines once they catch you there… but in overall they respect the rules as they understand they share that space with others.
I am not that long here but I noticed a lot of aggressiveness and selfishness among local car drivers… it looks to me like – My car, my freedom. It’s hard to find a simple answer why that is so but it looks like sharing is not something in common here in Adelaide.
Image The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Llessur2002

#478 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:21 am

Woo hoo! :banana:
Digital signs at Adelaide CBD bus stops will provide real-time arrival of the next six buses

DIGITAL bus stops showing the arrival times of the next six buses is set to transform the CBD’s public transport system.

The $2.5 million project will allow commuters to better map their route home as well as predict a far more accurate arrival time.

Building the $160 million O-Bahn tunnel prompted the project, which will line the city’s major bus thoroughfare in Currie and Grenfell streets with 27 of the vandal-proof machines.

Transport and Infrastructure Minister Stephen Mullighan said the stops would not only be used by O-Bahn buses, which is the state’s most popular public transport assets.

“These additional measures will make the journey even smoother for all who use O-Bahn service by improving access and making it simpler to find and board our buses,’’ he said.

“On average 31,000 people use O-Bahn services each weekday making it our busiest public transport network by far.

The O-Bahn city access project is creating a dedicated 670-metre tunnel linking priority bus lanes on Hackney Road and Grenfell Street, but the digital bus stops will be used by all buses heading north, south, east and west in and out of the CBD.

Adelaide Lord Mayor Martin Haese said it was important for Adelaide to become a smart city with initiatives such as the digital bus stops.

The O-Bahn project has also led to other upgradings to the city’s bus stop surrounds, and parking and loading zones in Grenfell and Currie streets are to be upgraded to make it easier for bus passengers to access services, while also improving the flow of traffic.

Hundreds of suburban bus stops are also scheduled for replacement following the tunnel opening, as well as new digital signage at Paradise and Tea Tree Plaza interchanges providing real-time information about services.

As previously announced Metrocard validators are also being installed at the middle and rear doors of O-Bahn buses.
From: http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 7e852bff95

The Scooter Guy

#479 Post by The Scooter Guy » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:05 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:21 am
Woo hoo! :banana:
Digital signs at Adelaide CBD bus stops will provide real-time arrival of the next six buses

DIGITAL bus stops showing the arrival times of the next six buses is set to transform the CBD’s public transport system.

The $2.5 million project will allow commuters to better map their route home as well as predict a far more accurate arrival time.

Building the $160 million O-Bahn tunnel prompted the project, which will line the city’s major bus thoroughfare in Currie and Grenfell streets with 27 of the vandal-proof machines.

Transport and Infrastructure Minister Stephen Mullighan said the stops would not only be used by O-Bahn buses, which is the state’s most popular public transport assets.

“These additional measures will make the journey even smoother for all who use O-Bahn service by improving access and making it simpler to find and board our buses,’’ he said.

“On average 31,000 people use O-Bahn services each weekday making it our busiest public transport network by far.

The O-Bahn city access project is creating a dedicated 670-metre tunnel linking priority bus lanes on Hackney Road and Grenfell Street, but the digital bus stops will be used by all buses heading north, south, east and west in and out of the CBD.

Adelaide Lord Mayor Martin Haese said it was important for Adelaide to become a smart city with initiatives such as the digital bus stops.

The O-Bahn project has also led to other upgradings to the city’s bus stop surrounds, and parking and loading zones in Grenfell and Currie streets are to be upgraded to make it easier for bus passengers to access services, while also improving the flow of traffic.

Hundreds of suburban bus stops are also scheduled for replacement following the tunnel opening, as well as new digital signage at Paradise and Tea Tree Plaza interchanges providing real-time information about services.

As previously announced Metrocard validators are also being installed at the middle and rear doors of O-Bahn buses.
From: http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 7e852bff95
Successor to the 'Smart Stops' that were first commissioned in 2002.
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

PeFe

#480 Post by PeFe » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:01 pm

First time I have seen this.......details of new bus stops/signs in Grenfell/Currie Sts for upcoming changes when the 0-Bahn tunnel opens.
O-Bahn City Access Project Bus Stop Changes
As part of the O-Bahn Tunnel project, the State Government are making changes to existing bus stop locations and design, and with City of Adelaide, altering parking and loading zones along the Currie-Grenfell Street corridor to improve how the street is used.
What is happening along Currie and Grenfell Street?

Over 2,400 buses travel through the Currie-Grenfell Street corridor each day and this is expected to increase. Some bus routes are currently stopping up to eight times along the corridor with some stops only 120 metres apart.
This project plans to resolve this issue by:
Evenly spacing bus stops along the corridor to improve travel time
Group bus stops to create new interchange zones and categorise routes by their direction of travel
Improved wayfinding and signage
Installation of digital real time bus stops placed at key destinations

What are the changes?

Along the Currie-Grenfell Street corridor, the following changes will happen:
Changes Sept 2017
All existing bus stops replaced
27 new real time digital bus stops
4 additional taxi spaces
11 additional loading spaces
2 less motorcycle spaces
13 more car parking spaces on weekends
3 less car parking spaces Monday to Friday
3 less bus stops overall (33 total bus stops)
Changes by corridor area:

GRENFELL STREET East Terrace to Frome Street
No changes to existing bus stop locations, parking or loading zones. Two new bus stop plinths will be installed at existing bus stops.
GRENFELL STREET Frome Street to Pulteney Street
One existing bus stop will be removed. View the map of changes between Frome Street and Pulteney Street.
GRENFELL STREET Pulteney Street to Chesser Street
No changes to existing bus stops locations. View the map of changes between Pulteney Street and Chesser Street.
GRENFELL STREET Chesser Street to King William Street
A number of bus stops will be installed, relocated or removed. View the map of changes between Chesser Street and King William Street.
CURRIE STREET King William Street to Topham Mall
No changes to existing bus stop locations. View the map of changes between King William Street and Topham Mall.
CURRIE STREET Topham Mall to Light Square
One new bus stop being installed. One existing bus stop will be relocated. Two existing bus stops on the southern side of Currie Street will be removed. View the map of changes between Topham Mall and Light Square.
CURRIE STREET Light Square to Gray Street
One new bus stop is being installed on the southern side of Currie Street. View the map for changes between Light Square and Gray Street.
CURRIE STREET Gray Street to West Terrace
No changes to existing bus stop locations. View the map of changes between Gray Street and West Terrace.
Why are these changes happening?

The redeveloped Adelaide Oval, increase in residential population, the city tram extension on North Terrace, the new Royal Adelaide Hospital and growth in public transport passenger numbers has generated a need to improve Adelaide's major public transport corridor, Currie-Grenfell Street.
These improvements will provide an enhanced travel experience for customers on O-Bahn services, as well as Adelaide Metro buses to the Adelaide Hills and eastern and western suburbs.
When are the changes happening?

Construction works along the corridor are scheduled to commence in September 2017 and will be completed to coincide with the opening of the O-Bahn Tunnel in late 2017.
Works will commence at the east end of Grenfell Street and progress to the west end of Currie Street.
Construction will be undertaken as a combination of day and night works. Roads will remain open to traffic with a 25km/h speed restriction in place when workers are on site. Lane and other speed restrictions may apply subject to onsite conditions.
Every effort will be made to minimise impact to pedestrians and road users and access to properties will be maintained throughout works.
More information

If you require further information, please email us or phone 1300 794 880.
A Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure project in conjunction with City of Adelaide.

http://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/O-Bahn- ... op-Changes