News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Buses

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: News & Discussion: Buses

#496 Post by Norman » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:25 pm

rubberman wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:09 pm
Norman wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:37 pm
rubberman wrote:Why not reintroduce 3 door loading/unloading and reduce the number of stops? Plus much shorter travel times. The number of stops is ridiculous.
All door boarding is coming in a few days. I'm surprised you didn't know that.
I heard some talk for O-Bahn buses, but didn't know it was imminent and for everything. Thanks.
It is for the O-Bahn only, but it might extend to all buses in the future. Wait and see.

PeFe
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#497 Post by PeFe » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:39 pm

Article from In Daily discussing the declining state of the surface roads along Grenfell/Currie Streets, especially as more O-Bahn will be using the corridor from December 17.
Hundreds more O-Bahn buses to hit "deteriorating" Grenfell St

Hundreds more 18-tonne buses will contribute to the deterioration of Grenfell Street when the newly redeveloped O-Bahn opens this weekend. Photo: Tony Lewis / InDaily

A redeveloped O-Bahn will start sending hundreds of extra buses down an unimproved Grenfell Street from next week, despite years of warnings over the city corridor's dilapidated, “rapidly deteriorating” condition.

The State Government is rejecting any responsibility for upgrading Grenfell Street, which, infrastructure experts have consistently argued over the past several years, is in need of a major overhaul.

Grenfell Street, owned and maintained by the Adelaide City Council, is set to carry hundreds more buses – the daily total rising to about 2600 buses, each weighing about 18 tonnes – east-west across the CBD following the opening of the O-Bahn tunnel.

Transport Minister Stephen Mullighan told InDaily: “Grenfell Street is under the care and control of the City of Adelaide, which is responsible for its maintenance and any upgrades.”

But the council has long argued that the Government’s buses are doing the damage and that it should contribute significant funding to a major rebuild of the road.

Council director of operations Beth Davidson-Park said the council was in high-level discussions with the Government about a potential redevelopment of Grenfell and Currie streets and that she was “optimistic” about the prospects of a funding partnership.

Full article : https://indaily.com.au/news/local/2017/ ... enfell-st/

adelaide transport
High Rise Poster!

#498 Post by adelaide transport » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:14 pm

Info now on Adelaide Metro website detailing all the changes from the 17th December. 67 timetables are being changed including O-Bahn with the opening of the new tunnel and tome saving. Also new digital bus stops in Currie and Grenfell Streets.

Patrick_27

#499 Post by Patrick_27 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:18 am

Having spent the last week in Sydney, I've noticed that a lot of roads that carry masses of buses are concrete, even if only the bus lane. I think this would be a wise choice for Grenfell/Currie, would certainly see the road surface lasting longer.

SBD

#500 Post by SBD » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:06 am

Patrick_27 wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:18 am
Having spent the last week in Sydney, I've noticed that a lot of roads that carry masses of buses are concrete, even if only the bus lane. I think this would be a wise choice for Grenfell/Currie, would certainly see the road surface lasting longer.
Is there a noticible difference in the level of road noise generated by buses on concrete roads compared to the familiar (in South Australia) asphalt? The new Northern Connector will be concrete and carry lots of heavy vehicles, but well away from many people.

ChillyPhilly

#501 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:29 am

I'm no expert on sound levels, but I recall a lot of tyre shear (is that the term) on the vast concrete of the Pacific Highway west of Gold Coast compared to asphalt.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#502 Post by Eurostar » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:03 am

PeFe wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:39 pm
Article from In Daily discussing the declining state of the surface roads along Grenfell/Currie Streets, especially as more O-Bahn will be using the corridor from December 17.

Hundreds more 18-tonne buses will contribute to the deterioration of Grenfell Street when the newly redeveloped O-Bahn opens this weekend. Photo: Tony Lewis / InDaily

A redeveloped O-Bahn will start sending hundreds of extra buses down an unimproved Grenfell Street from next week, despite years of warnings over the city corridor's dilapidated, “rapidly deteriorating” condition.

The State Government is rejecting any responsibility for upgrading Grenfell Street, which, infrastructure experts have consistently argued over the past several years, is in need of a major overhaul.

Grenfell Street, owned and maintained by the Adelaide City Council, is set to carry hundreds more buses – the daily total rising to about 2600 buses, each weighing about 18 tonnes – east-west across the CBD following the opening of the O-Bahn tunnel.

Transport Minister Stephen Mullighan told InDaily: “Grenfell Street is under the care and control of the City of Adelaide, which is responsible for its maintenance and any upgrades.”

But the council has long argued that the Government’s buses are doing the damage and that it should contribute significant funding to a major rebuild of the road.

Council director of operations Beth Davidson-Park said the council was in high-level discussions with the Government about a potential redevelopment of Grenfell and Currie streets and that she was “optimistic” about the prospects of a funding partnership.

Well if the Adelaide City Council didn't waste money on changing the Frome Street bike lane. North Terrace has lots of buses , Currie/Grenfell Street has lots of buses, Pirie Street/Waymouth Road could be used for east west buses but you'll have to still get back onto West Terrace or Currie Street, also council will most likely complain about buses roaring pass there Town Hall when they have meetings. Only other east west corridors I would suggest sending buses down is Flinders Street, Franklin Street or Wakefield Street, Grote Street.

bits
Legendary Member!

#503 Post by bits » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:38 am

You can test concrete road for your self at Port Adelaide on Grand Junction Road between Port Road and Old Port Road.

The Scooter Guy

#504 Post by The Scooter Guy » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:58 am

PeFe wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:39 pm

Yet another example of transport planners not getting the basics right, along with those time-regulated bus lanes.
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

PeFe

#505 Post by PeFe » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:49 pm

First time I have seen this map of the Adelaide metropolitan area with all the bus routes colour coded

As well as concept for new O-Bahn bus tops in the north eastern area

https://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/Announ ... ecember%20

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#506 Post by Norman » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:07 pm

Eurostar wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:03 am
Well if the Adelaide City Council didn't waste money on changing the Frome Street bike lane. North Terrace has lots of buses , Currie/Grenfell Street has lots of buses, Pirie Street/Waymouth Road could be used for east west buses but you'll have to still get back onto West Terrace or Currie Street, also council will most likely complain about buses roaring pass there Town Hall when they have meetings. Only other east west corridors I would suggest sending buses down is Flinders Street, Franklin Street or Wakefield Street, Grote Street.
Pirie and Waymouth Streets are way too narrow for the amount of buses that go east-west. You also wouldn't be able to continue straight onto Henley Beach Road.
PeFe wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:49 pm
First time I have seen this map of the Adelaide metropolitan area with all the bus routes colour coded

It's a new system they are introducing. It follows the lines of the bus contract areas.

The Scooter Guy

#507 Post by The Scooter Guy » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:10 pm

Norman wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:07 pm
Eurostar wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:03 am
Pirie and Waymouth Streets are way too narrow for the amount of buses that go east-west. You also wouldn't be able to continue straight onto Henley Beach Road.
PeFe wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:49 pm

It's a new system they are introducing. It follows the lines of the bus contract areas.
This truly means the former Transit Link bus stop signs will be replaced.
I need those two from Stop 50 on Golden Grove Rd in my collection!
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

Prodical
High Rise Poster!

#508 Post by Prodical » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:42 pm

saw this last night in Currie street - looks a pretty good system
Attachments
bus 1.JPG
bus 1.JPG (2.43 MiB) Viewed 4028 times

PeFe

#509 Post by PeFe » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:37 pm

Some new bus timetables , starting April 22.

A lot of changes for southern suburbs buses.

https://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/Announ ... April-2018

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#510 Post by Eurostar » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:44 am

The State Government should focus on Adelaide's bus system.

Purchase high quality buses not Scanias, look into double decker bus to be used on T228/228X , T721/721X, G22 and 254X.

Extend some Go Zones to 9pm on weekdays,

introduce more bus lanes I.e Anzac Highway, Marion Road

Bus shelters at more stops