News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Buses

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Message
Author
OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 369
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:31 pm
Has thanked: 55 times
Been thanked: 42 times

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Buses

#961 Post by OlympusAnt » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:59 pm

There needs to be some changes to the network. Now it's back to square 1.
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

SBD
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1499
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:49 pm
Location: Blakeview
Has thanked: 458 times
Been thanked: 113 times

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Buses

#962 Post by SBD » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:50 pm

OlympusAnt wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:59 pm
There needs to be some changes to the network. Now it's back to square 1.
Agreed. Now instead of one big package, there are likely to be minor changes and tweaks all over the place, and every change that results in a bus stop moving or a road not serviced will have Koutsantonis crowing about how Libs are trying to bring in their changes by stealth. Even adding new routes to service new developments is likely to be described in a negative light. Not the best way to advance from a low spot.

User avatar
gnrc_louis
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 219
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:04 pm
Location: Grange
Has thanked: 227 times
Been thanked: 65 times

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Buses

#963 Post by gnrc_louis » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:16 pm

SBD wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:50 pm
OlympusAnt wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:59 pm
There needs to be some changes to the network. Now it's back to square 1.
Agreed. Now instead of one big package, there are likely to be minor changes and tweaks all over the place, and every change that results in a bus stop moving or a road not serviced will have Koutsantonis crowing about how Libs are trying to bring in their changes by stealth. Even adding new routes to service new developments is likely to be described in a negative light. Not the best way to advance from a low spot.
Well the job of an opposition is to hold the Government to account. That's how Australian democracy is meant to work.

SBD
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1499
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:49 pm
Location: Blakeview
Has thanked: 458 times
Been thanked: 113 times

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Buses

#964 Post by SBD » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:51 pm

gnrc_louis wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:16 pm
SBD wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:50 pm
OlympusAnt wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:59 pm
There needs to be some changes to the network. Now it's back to square 1.
Agreed. Now instead of one big package, there are likely to be minor changes and tweaks all over the place, and every change that results in a bus stop moving or a road not serviced will have Koutsantonis crowing about how Libs are trying to bring in their changes by stealth. Even adding new routes to service new developments is likely to be described in a negative light. Not the best way to advance from a low spot.
Well the job of an opposition is to hold the Government to account. That's how Australian democracy is meant to work.
(Possibly this should continue in The Pub with a few drinks)
Is it defined anywhere with that purpose? I thought The Opposition was to present an alternative ideology and improve legislation in Parliament. I don't think Australian democracy or South Australia is improved by an Opposition that complains loudly if the Government tries to do something bold, but then complains just as loudly if the Government consults the populace, discovers that the changes are unpopular, and reverts to the status quo.

Imagine if instead of aiming for headlines and tweets, the Opposition spokesman for Transport had embraced a uniform route numbering system, endorsed the new services to fringe suburbs (eg Eyre), and offered constructive solutions for how to address any holes in the proposed new bus network (the route that uses Pym Street, the gap on Coventry Road between Broadmeadows and Smithfield railway stations, the change from scheduled 30-minute daytime to 15-minute on-demand service for Gawler East etc).

rubberman
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1345
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:32 pm
Location: ADL ex DRW, ASP, MGB
Has thanked: 156 times
Been thanked: 245 times

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Buses

#965 Post by rubberman » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:14 am

SBD wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:51 pm
gnrc_louis wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:16 pm
SBD wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:50 pm


Agreed. Now instead of one big package, there are likely to be minor changes and tweaks all over the place, and every change that results in a bus stop moving or a road not serviced will have Koutsantonis crowing about how Libs are trying to bring in their changes by stealth. Even adding new routes to service new developments is likely to be described in a negative light. Not the best way to advance from a low spot.
Well the job of an opposition is to hold the Government to account. That's how Australian democracy is meant to work.
(Possibly this should continue in The Pub with a few drinks)
Is it defined anywhere with that purpose? I thought The Opposition was to present an alternative ideology and improve legislation in Parliament. I don't think Australian democracy or South Australia is improved by an Opposition that complains loudly if the Government tries to do something bold, but then complains just as loudly if the Government consults the populace, discovers that the changes are unpopular, and reverts to the status quo.

Imagine if instead of aiming for headlines and tweets, the Opposition spokesman for Transport had embraced a uniform route numbering system, endorsed the new services to fringe suburbs (eg Eyre), and offered constructive solutions for how to address any holes in the proposed new bus network (the route that uses Pym Street, the gap on Coventry Road between Broadmeadows and Smithfield railway stations, the change from scheduled 30-minute daytime to 15-minute on-demand service for Gawler East etc).
I agree in principle. But people don't vote for you if you do that.

If you look at the US, the UK, Canberra, you get elected by outright lying, obstructionism, aaand corruption.

That's squarely on voters who reward bad behaviour.

What would get Malinauskas more votes? Agreeing with Mr Marshall, and having people say: "They are both as bad as each other!", or mindlessly opposing and being able to claim a "win"?

If Australians want better oppositions, they need to vote them in if they act with principle. At the moment, acting honestly and with principle are not rewarded by voters.

User avatar
PeFe
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1131
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:47 am
Has thanked: 72 times
Been thanked: 218 times

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Buses

#966 Post by PeFe » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:18 am

Here is an interesting reaction/discussion paper on the proposed Adelaide bus changes from the Melbourne on Transit blog.
Well worth the read.

https://melbourneontransit.blogspot.com ... -part.html

Eurostar
Legendary Member!
Posts: 663
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:44 pm
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 65 times

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Buses

#967 Post by Eurostar » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:30 pm

Speaking of improvements. How about some new park n rides? Possible sites


Former Transport Department yard on Wright Road at Northfield

Former Panorama TAFE site

Former Masters site at Parafield

Land next to Saints Foodland complex

Former Le Cornu site at Everard Park

The Paddocks area in Para Hills

Former Strathmont Centre area

Waterworld in Ridgehaven (winter months only)

Expand the Salisbury Station, Smithfield, Noarlunga park and rides, to multi level

User avatar
PeFe
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1131
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:47 am
Has thanked: 72 times
Been thanked: 218 times

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Buses

#968 Post by PeFe » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:18 pm

Park 'N' Rides in the inner city suburbs is a total no-no in my mind. Instead of having traffic jams all the way to the CBD you just move them 2 or 3 kilometres out....

Prime land anywhere within 5 kilometres of the CBD should be quality medium density or upmarket business offices. Cheapo housing and low end business parks should be built further out. Doesn't mean that you can't build affordable houses/apartments in the inner city just that you want to waste prime inner city land.

Even further out density should be built along the transport corridors. Very very low density suburbia really is difficult to service with public transport.
You can't run buses to suburbs that get 5 passengers after 8 pm at night....

Nort
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1315
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:08 pm
Has thanked: 299 times
Been thanked: 179 times

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Buses

#969 Post by Nort » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:17 pm

Eurostar wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:30 pm
Speaking of improvements. How about some new park n rides? Possible sites

...

Former Masters site at Parafield...
How does that work with an airport between that site and the train station?

User avatar
1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 241
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:01 pm
Has thanked: 49 times
Been thanked: 42 times

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Buses

#970 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:32 am

Eurostar wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:30 pm
Speaking of improvements. How about some new park n rides? Possible sites
Park and rides should only be built on the edges of the network. For Adelaide, the two best locations are near the ends of the Seaford and Gawler lines. There's already a big park and ride at Seaford Meadows, does it regularly fill up? There are also park and rides in Mount Barker.

In another thread it was suggested to extend the Gawler line one stop. Before the Barossa Line crosses the highway, put a station with a big park and ride. It can't be too expensive to build because the railway is already there, just dormant.

Another area that's not well served by park and rides is the north near the Gulf. A park and ride at Bolivar on the Princes Hwy could connect with an express bus into the city. This express bus could start at Two Wells, Virginia, then Port Wakefield Rd to the park and ride. From there, it's only a 22 minute drive into the city going by the motorway.

Not only would this express bus cover those coming from out of Adelaide to the north, there's also a large catchment from Burton and Paralowie.

rubberman
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1345
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:32 pm
Location: ADL ex DRW, ASP, MGB
Has thanked: 156 times
Been thanked: 245 times

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Buses

#971 Post by rubberman » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:52 am

1NEEDS2POST wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:32 am
Eurostar wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:30 pm
Speaking of improvements. How about some new park n rides? Possible sites
Park and rides should only be built on the edges of the network. For Adelaide, the two best locations are near the ends of the Seaford and Gawler lines. There's already a big park and ride at Seaford Meadows, does it regularly fill up? There are also park and rides in Mount Barker.

In another thread it was suggested to extend the Gawler line one stop. Before the Barossa Line crosses the highway, put a station with a big park and ride. It can't be too expensive to build because the railway is already there, just dormant.

Another area that's not well served by park and rides is the north near the Gulf. A park and ride at Bolivar on the Princes Hwy could connect with an express bus into the city. This express bus could start at Two Wells, Virginia, then Port Wakefield Rd to the park and ride. From there, it's only a 22 minute drive into the city going by the motorway.

Not only would this express bus cover those coming from out of Adelaide to the north, there's also a large catchment from Burton and Paralowie.
Park and rides should be built just before points/lines of congestion, thus reducing vehicle numbers through/along those routes. That may be at the outer periphery of the network, but most often not unless the network itself is perfect.

The setup at the entertainment centre is a form of P&R, it works well, does not shift congestion further out, and is only a couple of km from the CBD.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!
Posts: 663
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:44 pm
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 65 times

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Buses

#972 Post by Eurostar » Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:13 pm

20200704_121118.jpg
Parafield Park N Ride
Nort wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:17 pm
Eurostar wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:30 pm
Speaking of improvements. How about some new park n rides? Possible sites

...

Former Masters site at Parafield...
How does that work with an airport between that site and the train station?

User avatar
[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2657
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:26 pm
Has thanked: 1269 times
Been thanked: 282 times

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Buses

#973 Post by [Shuz] » Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:41 pm

Literally no point when Mawson Lakes is just down the road.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Modbury_Man
Sen-Rookie-Sational
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:55 pm
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Buses

#974 Post by Modbury_Man » Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:25 pm

Some tweaks to AdelaideMetro timetables and stop numbering effective from tomorrow - doesn't appear to be much but normally there is more than a day's notice (appears AdMet only posted it today).

https://adelaidemetro.com.au/Announceme ... ce-changes

Eurostar
Legendary Member!
Posts: 663
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:44 pm
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 65 times

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Buses

#975 Post by Eurostar » Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:00 pm

One I've thought of this morning. Now that Torrens run both 228 and J1 if 228 was to deviate via the Lyell McEwin and times adjusted they'll have a Go Zone beteeen Elizabeth East and Salisbury Heights

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests