News & Discussion: Roads & Traffic

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Road Issues & Traffic Congestion

#991 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:44 pm

That indeed is awesome – and would work very well in certain locations around busy freeways and intersections (as shown in the picture). I’m all for a decent network of completely segregated bikeways. But, unless we’re literally going to duplicate every road which already exists, there will always be a need for cyclists to share roads with cars in order to move between these segregated bikeways. And that’s where all road users have to have a mutual respect for one another in order to prevent tragedies like the one discussed above.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#992 Post by rev » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:12 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:And that’s where all road users have to have a mutual respect for one another in order to prevent tragedies like the one discussed above.
Really?
Because that's basically what I've been saying for a while now, but you and others keep arguing with me.
Apparently only drivers need to share the road and be respectful, mindful and vigilante/aware of their surroundings, and obey road rules/laws, while cyclists can do as they please.

Nice to see one of you finally admit that both sides have responsibility.

rev

#993 Post by rev » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:24 pm

And here you go, because I'm not biased and one sided like some..from a motorbike riders perspective.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#994 Post by jk1237 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:01 pm

I'm completely fed up with you posting constantly in here like a selfish pig Rev, just sayin

rev

#995 Post by rev » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:26 pm

jk1237 wrote:I'm completely fed up with you posting constantly in here like a selfish pig Rev, just sayin
I'm a selfish pig because I think a large section of cyclists on our roads are arrogant and break the road laws and have no consideration for other road users, and because I think they should be on dedicated bike ways?
Or am I selfish pig because I decided to back up my claims with evidence?
Or am I selfish pig because I have a different opinion/beliefs to you ?
Or is it because unlike most of you I'm not afraid to speak my mind, even if it is against whats "trending" for the sheep?

Sorry, I guess I'll have to work on being more of a politically correct robot like you.

:toilet:

SCF
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#996 Post by SCF » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:46 pm

rev wrote: But I know what's going on here, with all the random accounts that have barely any posts. :wink:
What exactly do you think is going on? Sure, this topic has brought a few low posters out of the woodwork, but I've not seen anyone who has just joined. Like me they probably just lurk here and only post occasionally. It doesn't mean there is some sort of conspiracy.
rev wrote: Really?
Because that's basically what I've been saying for a while now, but you and others keep arguing with me.
You have? I must have missed that post.
rev wrote: Apparently only drivers need to share the road and be respectful, mindful and vigilante/aware of their surroundings, and obey road rules/laws, while cyclists can do as they please.
Where has anyone suggested that? I've been following this thread over the last few weeks and have not seen one person suggest that - except you!

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#997 Post by mshagg » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:11 pm

rev wrote:
Now this is nice.
If only Adelaide could get something like this seen in Auckland..
Haha, Im guessing the users are expected to pay for it but otherwise I agree - an impressive piece of infrastructure!

bits
Legendary Member!

#998 Post by bits » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:21 pm

rev wrote:
jk1237 wrote:I'm completely fed up with you posting constantly in here like a selfish pig Rev, just sayin
I'm a selfish pig because I think a large section of cyclists on our roads are arrogant and break the road laws and have no consideration for other road users, and because I think they should be on dedicated bike ways?
I think you are a selfish, arrogant and have little regard for the road rules when you automatically jump to blaming a deceased cyclist when nothing in the story implies that at all.
I think you are a selfish, arrogant and have little regard for the road rules when you say you would consciously decide to kill, maim and have no sympathy or remorse for a cyclist if given the option, because a light pole doesn't deserve it.

rev wrote: You know what my reaction would be if I was put in a situation where my options where, hitting a tree, parked cars, oncoming traffic, stobie pole/light pole, or cyclist clad in his super duper protective shield of lycra in front of me...the cyclist would feel the full force of my 4wd's bullbar.
Why? Because it's going to do the least amount of damage to me physically. My car will still be repairable. My airbags probably wont go off either.
The tree doesn't deserve to get hit. The tree didn't do the wrong thing.
The stobie pole & light pole don't deserve it either.
The people who parked their cars on the side of the road don't deserve it either.
The people in the oncoming cars don't deserve it either.
Not saying the cyclist who did the wrong thing and caused a dangerous situation would deserve it either, but I wouldn't have any sympathy or remorse regardless of how badly injured that cyclist was as a result of him/her being inconsiderate and ignoring road rules and doing the wrong thing.
There's quite a number of them who do the wrong thing every day.

I think you have trolled this thread for well and truly long enough rev.
You have made it very clear you have such disgust for cyclist you will blame them even if they are not apparently at fault.
You would chose to kill them if given the option.

You in my opinion are potentially the most dangerous person we could possibly have on the road.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#999 Post by jk1237 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:49 pm

rev wrote:
Or am I selfish pig because I decided to back up my claims with evidence?
Or am I selfish pig because I have a different opinion/beliefs to you ?
Or is it because unlike most of you I'm not afraid to speak my mind, even if it is against whats "trending" for the sheep?

Sorry, I guess I'll have to work on being more of a politically correct robot like you.

:toilet:
Number 1 answer is the one, and its based on total pig headed generalised bullshit

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1000 Post by monotonehell » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:17 pm

Mod action: Okay this is staring to devolve into personal attacks - on all sides.

Time for a time out.

I'm closing this thread for now. People need to go away and think about other things for a while.

Everyone's had the last word, and then some, so don't think you're being restricted on your freedom of speech.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

drsmith
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: South Road / North-South Corridor

#1001 Post by drsmith » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:09 pm

Being Easter, it's time for another squeeze through Port Wakefield for those heading north. With that, the diversion trialled last year is once again being publicised.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-03-24/p ... st/7273516

Of particular interest in that article is the following,
Mr Mullighan said the Government and Port Wakefield Council were considering several options to alleviate holiday traffic congestion ongoing.
One project would see two large roundabouts built at the Yorke and Copper Coast Highway intersection and the Copper Coast and Augusta highways in an attempt to improve traffic flow.

The Department of Transport has also been investigating modifications to the highway through Port Wakefield to benefit traffic flow.

Mr Mullighan said assistance had been offered to create a bypass for the Port Wakefield township.

"That would be an incredibly expensive process with estimates of $150 million to $200 million," he said.
Roundabouts as an option have been mentioned before but the most interesting from the above is of assistance being offered for the bypass. Given Stephen Mullighan is the state transport minister, I can only assume that assistance would be from the feds.

With a federal election coming up, the long awaited Port Wakefield bypass may be moving towards reality.

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#1002 Post by neoballmon » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:33 pm

What is the obsession with bypassing Port Wakefield? It's a small town which takes about 3 minutes to pass through, and provides 2 roadhouses to grab a snack or meal, as well as decent priced petrol. It's also almost 2 hours from Adelaide, which provides the perfect "Stop revive survive" stop on long trips, which if bypassed, many travellers will not stop until possibly Port Augusta.

For the $150million needed to bypass the town, they could instead make 2 free flowing overpasses at the mentioned intersections north of the town, and have $100 million left over (based on $18M for McLaren Vale overpass)
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#1003 Post by Goodsy » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:05 pm

neoballmon wrote:What is the obsession with bypassing Port Wakefield? It's a small town which takes about 3 minutes to pass through, and provides 2 roadhouses to grab a snack or meal, as well as decent priced petrol. It's also almost 2 hours from Adelaide, which provides the perfect "Stop revive survive" stop on long trips, which if bypassed, many travellers will not stop until possibly Port Augusta.

For the $150million needed to bypass the town, they could instead make 2 free flowing overpasses at the mentioned intersections north of the town, and have $100 million left over (based on $18M for McLaren Vale overpass)

the same reason we now bypass Virginia and Two Wells... It's hell during the holiday rush

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

#1004 Post by SouthAussie94 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:01 pm

GoodSmackUp wrote:
neoballmon wrote:What is the obsession with bypassing Port Wakefield? It's a small town which takes about 3 minutes to pass through, and provides 2 roadhouses to grab a snack or meal, as well as decent priced petrol. It's also almost 2 hours from Adelaide, which provides the perfect "Stop revive survive" stop on long trips, which if bypassed, many travellers will not stop until possibly Port Augusta.

the same reason we now bypass Virginia and Two Wells... It's hell during the holiday rush
Isn't the main issue the intersection North of the town? If this were to be grade separated, would the bypass of the town still be necessary?
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#1005 Post by Goodsy » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:13 pm

SouthAussie94 wrote:
GoodSmackUp wrote:

Isn't the main issue the intersection North of the town? If this were to be grade separated, would the bypass of the town still be necessary?
I'm not sure what the cause is but last year the traffic backed up 10km south of Port Wakefield