News & Discussion: Roads & Traffic

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Road Issues & Traffic Congestion

#1051 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:36 am

So it goes back to my original question - why? If it can be done successfully elsewhere, why not here?

Is there something wrong with our driver training?

Are we not enforcing road rules enough?

Are the consequences for non-compliance too low?

Is there a lack of ongoing driver education through signage, road markings, public information advertising?

I can't believe that there's something substantially different in the mindset of Adelaideians* which makes them less competent drivers than those elsewhere. Something must have gone wrong somewhere along the line.

*I acknowlege that not all Adelaideians are poor drivers.

bits
Legendary Member!

#1052 Post by bits » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:45 pm

Perhaps there is no problem and most cities claim they have the worst drivers, worst roads, highest taxes in the world.

I am sure no one is speeding up to block you changing lane, they likely just did not see that you were trying to change lane. The world is not centered around you.

Westside
High Rise Poster!

#1053 Post by Westside » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:51 pm

rhino wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:31 am
claybro wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:54 pm
In some countries it is actually mandatory for drivers on the main roadway to yield to traffic entering the road/motorway or whatever.
In a way, this is also one of those countries. According to the rules of the road (being a dad of L plate drivers, you learn rules that you had forgotten about), in any merge scenario, the car in front has the right of way, regardless of whether they are on the road or the slipway. This allows for smoother flow of traffic, although it may slow the journey for the person on the road by a second or two.

Just out of interest, another rule states that a roundabout (the road part, not the island part) is a road in itself, and you are supposed to indicate before exiting it, even if you are going straight through. I don't think you are ever going to get pulled over for non-compliance of this one, but it's in the rules and L platers are supposed to abide by it to pass their test.
OK, I have to pull you up on this one. This is only the case for zip merges (Where the two lanes merge into one and the middle dotted line disappears). Merging on to a roadway from another road (especially freeways) most often does not use a zip merge. You'll notice the difference because the merging traffic has to cross a dotted line to join the flow of traffic. In this scenario, the merging car has no right of way. It's up to the driver that is merging to be able to safely merge with the flow of traffic. There is no obligation for a driver in the flow of traffic to adjust their driving to accommodate (although is a courteous thing to do if they can do so safely).

Also, there are specific rules regarding indicating on roundabouts, which state that you must indicate on leaving, unless it is impractical to do. So that would indicate it isn't easily enforceable as most small, single lane roundabouts could be argued provide an impractical situation.

Llessur2002

#1054 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:38 pm

bits wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:45 pm
Perhaps there is no problem and most cities claim they have the worst drivers, worst roads, highest taxes in the world.
Just observations from personal experience - having driven in a fair few countries in Europe and every state/territory in Oz, bar Queensland.

Adelaide, by comparison, has a noticeably aggressive driving style - the merge situation is one of the most obvious manifestations of this. As per Westside's comment above it is partially a courtesy issue (or lack of it). However, I regularly see shocking examples of drivers simply failing to read the road ahead in relation to merging, either through moving needlessly into lanes that other people are in the process of merging in to or by failing to vacate their own lane if it will allow traffic to flow more safely and freely in an upcoming merge situation.

In addition, late braking and tailgating here are rife. Every single time I travel down Tapley's Hill Road I see drivers travelling within a mere 3 or 4 meters of the car in front. That's utter madness. Perhaps it's our relatively small number of roads with a speed limit >60kph which means people don't really know how to adjust their driving style when they find themselves in an 80 or 100kph zone.

bits wrote:
I am sure no one is speeding up to block you changing lane
They bloody well do - almost every time I drive anywhere. And then, when you do manage to change lane, the driver behind quite often gets so peeved that they floor it round you on the inside and pull back in front of you, just to regain 'their position'.

bits wrote:
they likely just did not see that you were trying to change lane
Doesn't it suggest extremely poor driving skills not to notice the car in front of you indicating in order to avoid an obvious road hazard and allow them room to do so, providing it's safe? They should learn to read the road ahead better and be more observant IMHO.

bits wrote:
the world is not centered around you
Debatable.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#1055 Post by rev » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:26 pm

bits wrote:

I am sure no one is speeding up to block you changing lane, they likely just did not see that you were trying to change lane. The world is not centered around you.
First, lets get one thing straight. The world doesn't revolve around me, the UNIVERSE does. I am the centre of the universe.

Second, I challenge you to go for a drive down Port Road heading west out of the city, take the "u turn" slip lane at the East Tce intersection, to head east back towards Rosetta Street and the City...then to complete your challenge, go back further west down Port Road and turn back to head east towards the City again...travelling in the right lane. And when you return to S-A tell me again that it is possible to not see a vehicle, or multiple vehicles, in the slip lane trying to enter/merge...

You can have a cookie when you complete the challenge, two if you do it before Saturday.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1056 Post by Norman » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:55 pm

If anyone thinks Adelaide drivers are the most aggressive in the world, go to northern Italy. They do some crazy driving up there! Merging into tight spaces, no indicating...

[Shuz]

#1057 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:14 pm

I see shocking driving every day on King William Street in the CBD - the extra wide lane on the left hand side of the road either direction, which the buses mostly utilise, there is always constant lane straddling as if two cars or a car and bus are trying to squeeze two abreast within what is technically one lane. They really need to either extend the footpath out so that it is strictly one lane width or paint those diagonal stripe things over half the lane to highlight the fact that its one lane and not two. The clearances between vehicles are barely 10cm in some instances when they go two abreast.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#1058 Post by rev » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:34 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:14 pm
I see shocking driving every day on King William Street in the CBD - the extra wide lane on the left hand side of the road either direction, which the buses mostly utilise, there is always constant lane straddling as if two cars or a car and bus are trying to squeeze two abreast within what is technically one lane. They really need to either extend the footpath out so that it is strictly one lane width or paint those diagonal stripe things over half the lane to highlight the fact that its one lane and not two. The clearances between vehicles are barely 10cm in some instances when they go two abreast.
Similar thing on Holbrooks Road in both directions. Especially after that last intersection heading towards Henley Beach road.
The amount of arguments I've had with idiots who can't grasp the concept of it being a single lane, and then look at you all dumb founded like a stunned mullet when you yell out the window "it's a single land road you dumb @!#$" is funny though.

I think the worst thing is that when there's someone who wants to turn right into a side street and there's some asshole in his SUV that's right up the back of that car and then they suddenly swerve left almost hitting you, while putting the indicator on at the same time....and think that it's ok and they are doing the right thing...what ever happened to indicating, CHECKING, and then turning...

Waewick

#1059 Post by Waewick » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:43 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:14 pm
come down Kensington road, between Glynburn and the Marryatville Shops, for whatever reason that part of the road is 1 lane, rather than two (I can only assume it is because of the camber on the road) however lots of drivers seem to disregard this, and rather than tail gate you, they try to overtake you (especially if you merged traffic and happened to do so correctly rather than yielding as they floor it over the intersection in a desperate attempt to get 1 car ahead).

they need to do something about it, however given it is a very Liberal voting area, can't see it happening.

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#1060 Post by mshagg » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:00 am

DPTI inviting complaints, sorry, feedback, about extended clearly operating hours on Greenhill Road, with an open ended question to suggest other roads:

https://www.dptiapps.com.au/survey/inde ... 82?lang=en

Still boggles my mind you're allowed to park on the city bypass any time of day.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1061 Post by Norman » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:34 pm

I saw some surveyors measuring at Marion Road between Cross Road and Anzac Highway. Could mean nothing or could be an election promise... Watch this space.

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

#1062 Post by SouthAussie94 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:35 pm

Norman wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:34 pm
I saw some surveyors measuring at Marion Road between Cross Road and Anzac Highway. Could mean nothing or could be an election promise... Watch this space.
On the road (with traffic control) or just on the footpath?

If on the road, with traffic control, it could be the sign of a bigger project. If on the footpath, likely to just be a smaller project/land division
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1063 Post by Norman » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:57 pm

SouthAussie94 wrote:
Norman wrote:
On the road (with traffic control) or just on the footpath?

If on the road, with traffic control, it could be the sign of a bigger project. If on the footpath, likely to just be a smaller project/land division
It was on the footpath on both sides of the road.

I know that the federal government committed $2m for a planning study, but I'm not sure if that was taken.

ChillyPhilly

#1064 Post by ChillyPhilly » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:38 pm

Norman wrote:
Interesting. The only other active project at the moment that (may) require that is more pre-emptive water mains works. But that section is too conveniently aligned with a congested section that needs work...
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

ChillyPhilly

#1065 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:45 pm

I enjoyed this interesting, anecdotal read on Grand Junction Road.

https://indaily.com.au/opinion/2018/03/ ... long-road/
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.